Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,331 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Idaho Falls area and need a little advice. We currently live in Northern Utah and lived several years in Pocatello, Idaho. Our lifestyle has changed quite a bit since newlywed/college years in Pocatello and now we need to consider what's best for our elementary school aged kids in Idaho Falls. What are the best schools? (My son is currently enrolled in a Gifted and Talented program and school is very important to us). We are also HUGE off-road motorcycle enthusiasts and would like some land with our home purchase and be close to areas where we can ride. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 03:06 PM

121 posts, read 738,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomom View Post
We are relocating to Idaho Falls area and need a little advice. We currently live in Northern Utah and lived several years in Pocatello, Idaho. Our lifestyle has changed quite a bit since newlywed/college years in Pocatello and now we need to consider what's best for our elementary school aged kids in Idaho Falls. What are the best schools? (My son is currently enrolled in a Gifted and Talented program and school is very important to us). We are also HUGE off-road motorcycle enthusiasts and would like some land with our home purchase and be close to areas where we can ride. Any suggestions?
There are a few good private achools in the area but I haven't had a child in school for a few years so I can't recommend one.

You're going to be dissapointed in the dirt biking area. The entire surrounding countryside is now closed off due to abuse by a small handful of idiots. You have to drive several miles to find any open country to ride. It's nothing like Pocatello where you can take off in any direction and ride to your heart's content.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
The friends I have, who have kids, prefer the schools out on the eastern side of town- Tiebreaker,Sand Creek and Hilcrest. There are a few new grade schools now besides Cloverdale and Tiebreaker.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Post Some Local Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomom View Post
Motomom,

It might help to know what district you kids are enrolled in N. Utah to give some comparisons. As you probably remember, Idaho Falls has two major school districts around the city. Additionally, Rigby, Ririe, and Shelley are all within about 12 miles, so you may want to consider them too, depending on your needs.

A lot of visitors are now going to the newly famous "St. Anthony Sand Dunes" to doing their biking in the sand. I don't know if that is an option for you or not. A more rural property, perhaps in one of the other districts I mentioned MAY allow for off-road motorcycle. Use your favorite search engine for links to the St. Anthony Sand Dunes, as there are MANY links.

I'd recommend a couple of things, since I have no direct knowledge myself about which schools or motorobiking (school choice largerly depends on what the parents want to emphasize. A local District #91 school has been designated as a Magnet school, but it's not necessarily in the location one would assume a Magnet school would be placed.).

I'd contact the districts directly and ask what they offer in various schools that is similar to what your children are receiving currently. District #91 (serving Idaho Falls proper) can be contacted at:
Idaho Falls District 91. District #93, eastern I.F, Ammon and unincorporated Bonneville County is at: Bonneville Joint School District #93. This is a very fast-growing school district, if you aren't aware. Two elementary schools completed in 2006 and two more to be finished in 2008. The anticipated increase in students this year is estimated to be 20% more than last year.

Both District #91 and #93 underestimated their real student population. Both had more arrive on the first day of school they had planned for, and espeically D #93, had to scramble to hire enough school teachers.

Of course, there are private options as well, such a Calvary Christian School (Calvary Chapel Idaho Falls) or the King's Academy (The King's Academy of Idaho Falls Home Page) - I think it is the only private to offer education through grade 12.

And the Montesorri schools are something to consider as well as a charter school, such as the Taylor's Crossing Charter School (Taylor's Crossing Public Charter School) or White Pines (White Pine Charter School Home Page).

Will you let us know what you learn so others who visit and want to know what typics of programs are currently available in Idaho Falls for gifted students, we have a reference point and a new person to include dispensing information? It's always great to read the feedback and learn of new programs.

Also, please let us know what you learn about off-road biking. I hope you are able to find the information you are seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls