Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Maybe I am too well travelled for my own good. I'm not saying it's not a nice fountain, but I hardly think it is going to sway anyone to relocate to the area. And any fountain surrounded by auto roads doesn't really do it for me.
NCM101,

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Maybe I am too well travelled for my own good." Will you please explain that further as I'm confused. How can anyone be too well traveled?

Maybe travel and other states/countries where those who post in this forum have lived/traveled would be an interesting discussion.

I don't disagree with you about having the Ftn. at TLOR swaying anyone to move. I never mention it. However, I don't think you'll find other eastern/southeastern ID developments that had brass pieces/sculptures developed for their new development. TLOR was the first. In that sense, it makes history not only for capturing in art the history of the city name, but also commissioning art work for a development.

TLOR is far from finished....thanks to a couple of situations. Had everything been finished on time, there would be more brass art pieces throughout the area still be developed. Coupled with how the buildings have been designed (or were, when the original 13 floors were still a go for the Marriott), they highlighted the new homes etc. for the development.

I would never move anywhere for a fountain or a roundabout. It's my understanding that not only have county commissioners from Bingham and Bannock counties studies the roundabouts in Bonneville Co., but other ID counties as well (such as Canyon County) and other areas that had a large influx of population with a somewhat fixed infrastructure to handle the traffic. I'm thinking of the Bonneville Co. roundabouts - the one Cleosmom and I soooooo enjoy (NOT)!

I do think a major difference in ID and CA is in what one sees in an everyday commute. Most people, until they visit San Francisco, don't really understand the difference of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge. Most people can tell the difference in the various Teton Mtn. Tops, or Sawtooths until they are educated.

Fountains and pieces of art outside are far more common in CA than ID. I think it is different to have the turnaround at TLOR with a fountain. When homes are finally built there, as well as in SRL, then people may finally start to envision what McNeil had in mind adding the extras of running water in many places in the development. The fountain just got put in first, both because of location and what was built first, and because of the Walker Bros wanting that part of history about "Eagle Rock," to be in their development, given their grandfather's role.

Keep watching for new things to Idaho developments, which probably means most were in CA 10-15 years ago. However, some will be unique to Idaho, given why the developments are being built.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
NCM101,

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Maybe I am too well travelled for my own good." Will you please explain that further as I'm confused. How can anyone be too well traveled?

Maybe travel and other states/countries where those who post in this forum have lived/traveled would be an interesting discussion.

I don't disagree with you about having the Ftn. at TLOR swaying anyone to move. I never mention it. However, I don't think you'll find other eastern/southeastern ID developments that had brass pieces/sculptures developed for their new development. TLOR was the first. In that sense, it makes history not only for capturing in art the history of the city name, but also commissioning art work for a development.

TLOR is far from finished....thanks to a couple of situations. Had everything been finished on time, there would be more brass art pieces throughout the area still be developed. Coupled with how the buildings have been designed (or were, when the original 13 floors were still a go for the Marriott), they highlighted the new homes etc. for the development.

I would never move anywhere for a fountain or a roundabout. It's my understanding that not only have county commissioners from Bingham and Bannock counties studies the roundabouts in Bonneville Co., but other ID counties as well (such as Canyon County) and other areas that had a large influx of population with a somewhat fixed infrastructure to handle the traffic. I'm thinking of the Bonneville Co. roundabouts - the one Cleosmom and I soooooo enjoy (NOT)!

I do think a major difference in ID and CA is in what one sees in an everyday commute. Most people, until they visit San Francisco, don't really understand the difference of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge. Most people can tell the difference in the various Teton Mtn. Tops, or Sawtooths until they are educated.

Fountains and pieces of art outside are far more common in CA than ID. I think it is different to have the turnaround at TLOR with a fountain. When homes are finally built there, as well as in SRL, then people may finally start to envision what McNeil had in mind adding the extras of running water in many places in the development. The fountain just got put in first, both because of location and what was built first, and because of the Walker Bros wanting that part of history about "Eagle Rock," to be in their development, given their grandfather's role.

Keep watching for new things to Idaho developments, which probably means most were in CA 10-15 years ago. However, some will be unique to Idaho, given why the developments are being built.

MSR

I actually wasn't responding to anything you said, MSR. Another poster had referenced the fountain in a way that didn't make alot of sense to me. Spain, France, etc, those are places with fountains that really do contribute to the overall characteristics of various cities. I just don't see the referenced fountain as having anything to do with the topic nor can I imagine people are travelling here to view it, although I could surely be mistaken.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Cool Move for the Ourdoor Scenery

Quote:
I actually wasn't responding to anything you said, MSR. Another poster had referenced the fountain in a way that didn't make alot of sense to me. Spain, France, etc, those are places with fountains that really do contribute to the overall characteristics of various cities. I just don't see the referenced fountain as having anything to do with the topic nor can I imagine people are travelling here to view it, although I could surely be mistaken.
Thanks for the clarification, NCM101. I think those who travel to see it have history with the area, or other similar reasons.

I do agree with you.

Move to ID to see the Mtns, the rivers or other outdoor scenery.

MSR

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 AM

432 posts, read 533,832 times
norcalmom, obviously I wasn't very clear by what I meant to say with my post about the fountain at Taylor Crossing.

Although I am sure that the fountain itself is not a drawing point for tourists or future residents, what I meant to say is that when people do see it, they tend to spend some time looking at it. Trust me on this one, I actually saw a group of Japanese tourists surrounding the fountain, as I am sure that as part of the grand scheme of things, was intended to happen when the Walkers decided to erect it. The Walkers want everything they do to be timeless and original. I have seen it in winter and summer and it is still a very nice addition to the city but definitaly not an Eiffel Tower or Empire State building, not a landmark for sure, and not something that someone would come from halfway around the world to look at that is for sure.

It's too bad they decided to put in the middle of a roundabout but what can be done now. I hope the rest of their vision comes to fruition, the so called "Legacy Walkway", finishing the canal banks, more ponds and landscaping will only add to the beauty of the development 20 years from now.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
It's too bad they decided to put in the middle of a roundabout but what can be done now. I hope the rest of their vision comes to fruition, the so called "Legacy Walkway", finishing the canal banks, more ponds and landscaping will only add to the beauty of the development 20 years from now.
That sounds great. Maybe I am just secretly jealous of lucky folks who get to work down by the greenbelt and enjoy their mid-day strolls so close to the river

I worked at the Sandpiper when we first moved here so had a taste of what I am now missing, lunchtime scenery!! Cleosmom, it might be time to air me out again, I seem to be getting grumpy behind this desk ; )

Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:

Cleosmom, it might be time to air me out again, I seem to be getting grumpy behind this desk ; )
Hmmm, am I detecting pizza and suds on Sunday? I'm off work this weekend.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 AM

Talking Surely Clients Are Around the Greenbelt as Well......?

Quote:
That sounds great. Maybe I am just secretly jealous of lucky folks who get to work down by the greenbelt and enjoy their mid-day strolls so close to the river

I worked at the Sandpiper when we first moved here so had a taste of what I am now missing, lunchtime scenery!!
NCM101,

Ah, now we get to what you are thinking. You are so right. Walking around the greenbelt is relaxing - and to think some people get to do it any day they want to just doesn't seem fair, at times.

When the Marriott is finished, there will also be additional walking paths and essentially a small botanical garden, if I remember correctly. IFGuy, please correct me if I got that wrong. Having blooming flowers, shrubbery, places to sit in that garden will only add to the Greenbelt IMHO.

Can you take a client, or go looking for a client along the Greenbelt at lunchtime 1-2X/week? Maybe that would help.

Enjoy what you can when you can.

MSR

Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
NCM101,

Ah, now we get to what you are thinking. You are so right. Walking around the greenbelt is relaxing - and to think some people get to do it any day they want to just doesn't seem fair, at times.

When the Marriott is finished, there will also be additional walking paths and essentially a small botanical garden, if I remember correctly. IFGuy, please correct me if I got that wrong. Having blooming flowers, shrubbery, places to sit in that garden will only add to the Greenbelt IMHO.

Can you take a client, or go looking for a client along the Greenbelt at lunchtime 1-2X/week? Maybe that would help.

Enjoy what you can when you can.

MSR
Such good ideas...MSR. Actually, I can forward the phones to myself and operate from anywhere, but being a perfectionist and with my duties encompassing all our compliance issues, I choose instead to arrive early and work without break most days. Of course I'm out and about going to meet with clients in their homes, so I get to see all the scenery I'm not taking the time to enjoy

Now that it is warming up (????) I'm going to have to keep your advice in mind and start giving my workaholism a rest. That and pizza on Sunday, Cleosmom, unless you want to go somewhere closer to the horses?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM

K, MSR, I did it. Took the afternoon off and enjoyed the Falls. Thought of you!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Cool Enjoy Different Areas of the Greenbelt - or Grass near the River

Quote:
Such good ideas...MSR. Actually, I can forward the phones to myself and operate from anywhere, but being a perfectionist and with my duties encompassing all our compliance issues, I choose instead to arrive early and work without break most days. Of course I'm out and about going to meet with clients in their homes, so I get to see all the scenery I'm not taking the time to enjoy

Now that it is warming up (????) I'm going to have to keep your advice in mind and start giving my workaholism a rest. That and pizza on Sunday, Cleosmom, unless you want to go somewhere closer to the horses?
I can't give you a rep point NCM or I would. Haven't been able to give hardly anyone any for months. Anyway, I thought your post was good. Too many of us are workaholics and are missing the beautiful and restful things so close to us.

A picnic near the Osprey in Sportsman's Park, or elsewhere along the Greenbelt is nice. Per chance you haven't spent time in this area yet, up in Freeman Park, by University Place, there are several really nice aras. There is a frisby or disc course set up too. Lots of different things up there and the water is smoother and calmer than the Broadway Bridge traffice and people.

I appreciate your good ideas you share with us not only in this thread, but others. You are a bonus to have writing about Idaho as you bring the perspective of someone who makes the most of what they have everywhere, IMHO. You are also realstic.

Hope you get to enjoy some time somewhere.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls