Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Large crowds of counter-demonstrators turned out in the early morning darkness in Coeur d’Alene today to answer the small group of protesters from Westboro Baptist Church that plans a second day of denouncing gays, soldiers, Jews, the United States, and private and public colleges and schools.
N. Idaho residents stand against hate message - Spokesman.com - Oct. 22, 2010

On one hand, I'm proud to see our neighbors stand up to these pathetic pieces of humanity. On the other hand, they gave them their 15 minutes of fame and attention, which was exactly what they were after. It would have been better to just ignore them, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,842,621 times
I share your sentiments....I'd rather see them denied any media coverage and any more fame for being such scum, but the justice-seeking side of me has so much rage about their invasion of service funerals...

Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
There are other threads in other forums of City Data regarding this bunch, one notable one is in the military forum.

Fred Phelps and other members of his family are lawyers. This bunch thinks of everything. On their website they have a list of places that they picket. In fact, go to their homepage, then go to quick links on the left side of the page and click on "picket schedule." It's all there, including date, time, and location.

For the most part they spread their pestilence on bereaved military families, but lately they go farther than that. A couple months ago they showed up in San Diego. The most noted convention in the United States regarding the comic book hobby is there, and Phelps had his followers picketing the convention center. Who knows why they went there other than maybe the tv cameras being there for the comic book convention and they wanted their 3 seconds of fame.

I don't watch a lot of news these days, but I happened to catch their act on the Fox News Channel's Hannity and Colmes maybe two years or so ago. I remember Sean Hannity commenting to them that "you people are really the limit." Allen Colmes interviewed them next, and with a befuddled look on his face, he asked them "what is wrong with you people?"

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-24-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,329,151 times
PATOOTIE!

I don't know if I've spelled the word correctly, but the folks from the Westboro Baptist Church need to locate mine and pucker up for a BIG SMOOCH....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,842,621 times
We have enough reasonable limitations of free speech (business tort, slander, defamation, etc) that I have no problem with the lawsuit brought by the father of a serviceman whose funeral they disrupted. I think that these crazies have the legal right to be (expletive omitted since we're a civil bunch), and people should have the legal right to hold them financially accountable for their inexcusable actions. At least if they ever protest a funeral in Idaho I'd hope that our state would take that stance.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM

161 posts, read 396,669 times
I agree, we should've just ignored them. They are trying to drum up press. Idiots the lot of them.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,532 times
The Westboro people are a bunch of crazy uglies, they have no compassion and I would go as far as saying they are possessed by evil spirits.

I still remember when they brought their hate to Boise, about 3 or so years ago, and actually walked along Capitol Boulevard in downtown and had yelling matches with Boise citizens on the sidewalk, citizens who did not want them to spread their hate in Boise by erecting a hate monument in Julia Davis Park. Their monument was never erected, and if it had been I don't think it would still be around.

Too bad some of those Westboro punks were not toppled over the bridge into the Boise River, I am sure they can swim, but then that would have been polluting the river

Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM

238 posts, read 863,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
N. Idaho residents stand against hate message - Spokesman.com - Oct. 22, 2010

On one hand, I'm proud to see our neighbors stand up to these pathetic pieces of humanity. On the other hand, they gave them their 15 minutes of fame and attention, which was exactly what they were after. It would have been better to just ignore them, IMO.
For future reference, if the W.B.C. crazies are scheduled to come to a military funeral in your town, get in touch with these guys: Patriot Guard Riders Home

They drown out the nutters with the sound of bike motors, and obscure their sign waving with flags. From what I've heard, they're pretty effective.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
They picketed my daughter's school (Whitworth). Nasty, ugly people.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
They picketed my daughter's school (Whitworth). Nasty, ugly people.
urghh.. not all people are bad. It's just that there are some people who are happy to do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho