Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM

69 posts, read 155,865 times

Advertisements

We are getting pounded up here in Samuels. Big fat flakes are coming down and there's no sign of it stopping any time soon. Schweitzer opened their slopes today and I bet the skiing is fantastic!

DH and I have been bundling up the baby and toddler and spending much time outside playing around in the powder. It's getting too deep for our son's little push sled but he doesn't seem to mind.

We have cartoonishly huge icicles hanging from the eaves (metal roof, steeply pitched) and have started avoiding the side yard and only walking on the deck along the house, under the shelter of the roof, just in case of sliding ice dams. (Our landlady warned us about that when we moved in.)

The wood stove is roaring, I'm sipping excellent Evans Brothers coffee and eating steel-cut oatmeal with shiny blackstrap molasses. Later I'll work on knitting up some more Christmas presents and then go outside for some more play time in the snow. DH is happily splitting more wood, the baby is sleeping peacefully, and the toddler keeps pointing out the window and exclaiming, "Big snow! Big snow, mama! Big snow!"

How is your day so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I must tell you something funny, when I was a new Mom, I moved to Montana...and would dress my baby in a diaper, a onesies undershirt, a layer of long underwear, top and bottom, two pairs of socks, boots, a turtleneck shirt, a pair of overalls, a sweater, a snow suit, gloves, and a hat...he got heat rash in Montana in the winter...an old Granny who had lived in Montana forever...told me I was putting way too many clothes on my baby...I still laugh about that...enjoy the snow.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:01 PM

94 posts, read 351,628 times
If you can, post some pictures!!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I must tell you something funny, when I was a new Mom, I moved to Montana...and would dress my baby in a diaper, a onesies undershirt, a layer of long underwear, top and bottom, two pairs of socks, boots, a turtleneck shirt, a pair of overalls, a sweater, a snow suit, gloves, and a hat...he got heat rash in Montana in the winter...an old Granny who had lived in Montana forever...told me I was putting way too many clothes on my baby...I still laugh about that...enjoy the snow.
Haha, I did that with my first! But then we learned that we couldn't keep socks on him to save our lives, so I was constantly getting dirty looks because he had bare feet out in public. (I ended up having to get little socks with drawstrings on them to keep his feet covered.)

By the second baby I've finally learned that they don't need to be more dressed than we are. And since I wear my baby in a fleece sling under my down coat, she doesn't even need a hat to stay toasty warm. In fact if I'm not careful she gets a little sweaty in there.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 20,469 times
Sounds absolutely wonderful Mountain Rose! Hopefully by next winter we're doing nearly the same thing. Hope the little one is doing well!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalynx View Post
If you can, post some pictures!!!!
Good idea! I'll see what I can do.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Rose, you have no idea what a cord you've struck! You've just described the sweetest dreams and deepest yearnings of just about everybody on this forum! . Even if we know it's not always going to be like a picture postcard, thanks for sharing that lovely story with us today!

As for myself, I'm having nachos and a margarita on a sunny patio, 72 degrees, and that's not too shabby, either! if you like that sort of thing...

Old 11-27-2010, 03:00 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
I tagged my first car today sliding at 1 mph trhough a stop sign.

No Ex- calif jokes either

I was going to take pictures of the snow but now I am taking pictures of the fog light that is now smashed on the front of my truck

Nobody hurt but I bet that guy was saying " ahole " right as I slid into him

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Mountain Rose that sounds fantastic, can't wait to see the pictures

DR, no worries, we all have our first I have a car that's equipped with VSC and got a little cocky today and found myself fishtailing (in the ruts of course), glad no one was in the next lane!!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM

279 posts, read 486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Rose View Post
We are getting pounded up here in Samuels. Big fat flakes are coming down and there's no sign of it stopping any time soon. Schweitzer opened their slopes today and I bet the skiing is fantastic!

DH and I have been bundling up the baby and toddler and spending much time outside playing around in the powder. It's getting too deep for our son's little push sled but he doesn't seem to mind.

We have cartoonishly huge icicles hanging from the eaves (metal roof, steeply pitched) and have started avoiding the side yard and only walking on the deck along the house, under the shelter of the roof, just in case of sliding ice dams. (Our landlady warned us about that when we moved in.)

The wood stove is roaring, I'm sipping excellent Evans Brothers coffee and eating steel-cut oatmeal with shiny blackstrap molasses. Later I'll work on knitting up some more Christmas presents and then go outside for some more play time in the snow. DH is happily splitting more wood, the baby is sleeping peacefully, and the toddler keeps pointing out the window and exclaiming, "Big snow! Big snow, mama! Big snow!"

How is your day so far?
This sounds heavenly! Swoon! I hope to be doing the same thing next year at this time.

Please post some pictures if you have them so I can live vicariously through you! In the meantime, I'll be sitting here looking at the webcams and wishing we were already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho