Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,778 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been working near the Twin Falls area all week (consulting) and suddenly found out that I won't have to work tomorrow (Friday) after all.

So, I have a full day to sight-see and do touristy stuff before driving back to Boise for my flight home Saturday afternoon.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice regarding what would be a reasonable plan for seeing some spectacular mountain scenery via driving, where I could pull off the road and take some nice pics or just appreciate the gorgeous view- and maybe doing a short trail or two if I have time for it. I've been to both Yellowstone and the Tetons once before, and it seems I could do maybe a 4 or 5 hour drive over to see some stuff, maybe spend 4-5 hours there, then drive back to my hotel in Twin Falls. Long day of driving but I'm pretty tolerant of road trips. Maybe I could do the loop in which I drive up towards Rexburg, take the 33 to Jackson, then south on 191, to 89, to 26 and so on...BUT...it looks like those roads cut through the mountains so the pace might be super slow?

Maybe it's actually faster to drive up to the West Yellowstone entrance and focus on stuff around there?

But I've also heard great things about the Sawtooth National Forest...it might be kind of cool to see a place that not as many tourists get to see. But if I go to this area- I have no idea what would be the best route or sights along the way..or what hiking paths would be considered the prettiest, etc.

I know I sound a little indecisive...guilty as charged! Thus, I'm hoping someone familiar with the area can provide a bit of first-hand knowledge? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I'm really enchanted by this part of the country- I've met the nicest people while staying here, and the landscape is really attractive with all the farms and the mountains in the distance (and of course Shoshone Falls etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM

134 posts, read 245,985 times
The scenic route from Twin to Boise?
No brainer.
Idaho 75 to Stanley,
take a left at Idaho 21.
Take 21 all the way to Boise.
Caution: This drive will make you want to live in Idaho.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelwaySasquatch View Post
The scenic route from Twin to Boise?
No brainer.
Idaho 75 to Stanley,
take a left at Idaho 21.
Take 21 all the way to Boise.
Caution: This drive will make you want to live in Idaho.
Thanks, SelwaySasquatch!

Ha - it's funny I was just reading about a spectacular trail called the 'Iron Creek Trailhead' that's close to Stanley. I might just head up that way and make a day of it. At least the drive to get there looks like it's only about 3 hours or so. Then I can spend the rest of the time enjoying the beautiful scenery! Pics look amazing!

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
75 will take you through Ketchum/Sun Valley, both a scenic and a culturally important part of Idaho, because of its fun celebrity history. If you have any interest in paying respect to famous people's famous grave sites, you can visit Ernest Hemingway's grave. And if you like Steve McQueen movies, think of him when you drive further north, out of Ketchum, because his ranch was on the right, just north of town. A little further up, also on the right, is the location of the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider. The area is just full of places to visit if one has more than a few hours, but even just driving through will give you a great impression.

Driving further toward Stanley you get to the headwaters of the Salmon River, and that is one of the most beautiful mountain valleys I've ever seen. Be sure to swing by Redfish Lake south of Stanley--I don't have any movie-or celebrity related stories about the lake, it's just spectacular. I'm fairly sure there are hiking trails. Stanley itself is as authentic a Western mountain town as it gets, and Route 21 has breathtaking views.

SelwaySasquatch is right, it's a fantastic route. Let us know the moment when you start looking for property! (That's how it happened to us!)

Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
75 will take you through Ketchum/Sun Valley, both a scenic and a culturally important part of Idaho, because of its fun celebrity history. If you have any interest in paying respect to famous people's famous grave sites, you can visit Ernest Hemingway's grave. And if you like Steve McQueen movies, think of him when you drive further north, out of Ketchum, because his ranch was on the right, just north of town. A little further up, also on the right, is the location of the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider. The area is just full of places to visit if one has more than a few hours, but even just driving through will give you a great impression.

Driving further toward Stanley you get to the headwaters of the Salmon River, and that is one of the most beautiful mountain valleys I've ever seen. Be sure to swing by Redfish Lake south of Stanley--I don't have any movie-or celebrity related stories about the lake, it's just spectacular. I'm fairly sure there are hiking trails. Stanley itself is as authentic a Western mountain town as it gets, and Route 21 has breathtaking views.

SelwaySasquatch is right, it's a fantastic route. Let us know the moment when you start looking for property! (That's how it happened to us!)

I'm so excited- I'm already up and ready to go- thanks for the additional tips- so much to see and do! And I'm already sort of falling for this place...I'm sure it will be difficult for me to leave!

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks again! I just returned to Twin Falls from the most spectacular drive and scenery imaginable! As advised, I drove to Stanley, then I even took the 21 all the way to Boise, then back to Twin Falls. The change in landscape was amazing.

I actually made it to the Iron Creek Trailhead, which is near Stanley, but there was just so much snow that there wasn't much of a trail to 'follow'. However, there were some lovely views as I had to walk a couple of miles just to get to the trailhead due to snow. It was kind of fun to trudge through the snow a bit- glad I wore my boots! Perfect hiking weather- I'll have to come back in July someday so I can hike the full trail.

One of the best things was that there were such long stretches in which I wouldn't see another car for miles and miles. Such delicious solitude.

What a gorgeous state! Special place in my heart for Idaho and its people! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho