Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 AM

107 posts, read 278,887 times

Advertisements

So I have heard that the lower SE can be colder than any other part of the state, is that true?

I would figure that the panhandle was more wintery..please let me know from your neck of the wood!

I am considering- Boise-Pocatello-Idaho Falls

Don't mind winter, just do not want to be trapped for weeks by snow drifts not letting us out of the house.

Are the roads well maintained for Black Ice?
Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I lived for 5 years in the SE corner of Idaho, an hour from Pocatello. I have lived in north Idaho for many more years than that. There are differences in the winter, although I do not know that one is any colder than the other. In the SE corner you have far more sunshine, even when it is really cold, than you do in N. Idaho. In SE ID you have drifting snow, which you do not see in N. Idaho. The snow can begin and end earlier in the SE corner than in the north. I believe we have more actual snow accumulation in the north though. It is more windy in the SE corner, thus the drifting snow.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM

thank you for that insight! it is VERY helpful! So drifting snow is just the effect of the wind blowing it around?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM

what about humidity????

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
I think Brokencrayola summed it up pretty well. Both the panhandle and SE Idaho get snow, but more accumulation in the panhandle, more sunshine in SE. SE Idaho has more of a Rocky mountain climate (drier, colder), where the panhandle is wetter.

Humidity is not really a factor in either place. SE is quite arid, with just an occasional muggy day in the summer when the systems are monsoonal and coming up from the south.

January high/low:

Pocatello 33-16
Couer d'Alene 35-22

Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Like said, humidity is not an issue with either area. Yes, drifting snow is when the wind blows the snow area. It is usually an issue when it is blown over the road you are driving on. I have literally been on roads/highways where you cannot tell where the sides of the road are, very unsettling.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Thank you for the weather info! I find it interesting, I figured the panhandle would be just cold and snowy all the time being close to Canada, it appears I am mistaken! Though it does sound a little more dreary.

Drifting snow sounds very unsettling! I have experienced Tule Fog in Calif. The same applies, you cannot see the road, the lines or the side let alone past your windshield! Very nerve racking!

Nice to hear about the humidity!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage44 View Post
Drifting snow sounds very unsettling! I have experienced Tule Fog in Calif. The same applies, you cannot see the road, the lines or the side let alone past your windshield! Very nerve racking!
From one who also has been in both, I'll stay here and tackle the icy, snowy roads over the Tule fog! Which begs me to tell you, we do get some fog here in SE Idaho, nothing like the Tule, but it's usually a freezing fogs making the roads a little tricky.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM

oh i do not like freezing fog, hubby got into black ice with freezing fog in Oregon, caused a bad wreck (him only). thought with fog, no ice!! we were wrong! u know tule fog and like snowy roads better so that is encouraging, thanx!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 AM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
I have made it through 28 winters of 150 + miles per day in the killer Tule fog.
Thank heaven for retirement.
I'll take southern Idaho weather anytime.. I Can't wait for snow and ice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho