Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,226 times

Advertisements

I am a Utah native and have lived in UT my entire life - (30 years). My Wife is the same.

We have 3 children and we are not a member of ANY religious organization. As you can imagine, not being a memver in UT has its moments. We have so far managed to co-habitate.

As a child, i did not understand the lack of being included in things within my education and neighborhood living. I come to realize later this was because of our choice to not be a part of the religious majority.

Unfortunetly, i see the same lack of inclusion with our children. They are being left out of things. Teachers in my oldest sons school are picking favorites (they all happen to have families with strong ties to the religious majorities church).

An example of a personal experience of mine is when we had just moved to our neighborhood (7 years ago), I was working to get a yard in (sprinklers, grass, etc). The neighbors young boy had come over and say that we were bad people for watering and working on our yard on Sundays. Sure, he was only about 4 or 5, but it might have been a regurgitation of a tounge and cheek comment by his parents? It felt like quite the welcoming. In my 30 years, we have had good and bad experiences.

Im not here to bad mouth or trash any religion or UT. It's just been frustrating. Im sure with any state, there are things that are frustrating.

Another concern I have with UT is driving. I currently drive a total of 39 miles to and from work on i-15 to i-215 then to SR201. Some days, i wonder if it's really worth it.

Regardless. Within my career, i have had the opportunity over the past several years to travel to Idaho (Caldwell, Wendell, Emmett, Nampa, Boise, Meridian, Eagle, Mtn Home, Twin, Etc.. Just to name a few. ) My experience has always been positive.

I have experienced an overall much friendlier attitude with every encounter with locals. To me, it has been a night and day difference.

I have told my wife my experiences of traveling to Idaho and she thinks I am just blowing smoke.

This Labor day weekend, I took my wife and 3 children to Idaho. We stayed in Meridian, ventured to the mall, visited the Zoo, Discovery Center of Boise, and many other local attractions/fare.

Sure it was only 3 days, but my wife had the same experience I had been having. Folks seem more pleasent. Even my kids enjoyed it, but I think they just liked the getting away and having fun.

Overall, I am pleased with Boise/Nampa/Meridian area.

A discussion had risen between me and the wife about possible relocation. We are seriously considering it.

I am employed within the tech industry within a UT based healthcare company. I have checked for things comparable in ID and Micron, Microsoft and HP seem to be the bigger tech companies. Also St Lukes seems to be a larger health network. (please correct me if this is not the case)

If I could find a position comparable, it would be a huge possibility to relocate.

I have enjoyed reading the Boise city-data forums.

On the driving topic. On our way back to UT.. We were on 84 EB and a tractor was in the right lane going slower. Everyone moved to the left to pass...(as anyone would normally do) Then this white SUV comes flying down the right lane passing everyone that just got over, nearly rear-ending the tractor then jumps in the left lane cutting people off. We caught up to this SUV later. Low and behold, UT plates. See... I read other encounters on this forum and it just certifies my believe that UT has crazy, un-safe drivers.

I know this is a long post, thanks for reading. I guess im not really asking any questions.. I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the time i have spent in ID and we may seek to relocate.

Other than the tech companies mentioned above, would anyone know of others rooted in Boise area and actively hiring?

Thanks
mtnman1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Boise has been a diverse city for a long time.
But it's having many of the same problems as the Salt Lake area- a lot of fast growth, commuting problems, and the like. Same sprawl going on in both places. Boise itself is in the bottom of a hole, much like Salt Lake, and has periodic log smog problems in the winter.

Idaho Falls and Pocatello are less diverse, but both are going through the same big changes Boise did earlier. While the LDS presence is strong here, it's not like Sandy or a lot of other places in Utah, and both towns have always had strong non-LDS communities from the early beginnings, so there is more cross-cultural tolerance here. But I.F. and Poky are facing other fast growth problems.

Generally, the smaller the town is in S. Idaho, the more LDS presence abides. That's a loose rule, though, as Idaho wasn't settled by one predominant religion.

Utah drivers are notorious here for their bad driving. They, not Californians, get the cussing.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 25,043 times
I am just now seeing this post, but wanted to add that lst year my friend was hired on the St. Lukes as a tech, and he loves it! I was born and raised in Meridian, but have lived several other places, and always find myself back here : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho