Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 PM

98 posts, read 233,290 times

Advertisements

I wonder this because after being here for 4 days scouting out the area I was shocked at how expensive things were. The gas prices were virtually identical to the gas prices in CT, the food prices were also extremely expensive and the lodging was essentially the most expensive yet on my 3000 mile road trip. The area was filled with so many great things to do but I was wondering how those who are making the normal income for the area are able to take part in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM

35 posts, read 75,087 times
That's so funny - I was there a few weeks ago and was shocked at how cheap it all was! I guess it depends where you're coming from.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetp979 View Post
That's so funny - I was there a few weeks ago and was shocked at how cheap it all was! I guess it depends where you're coming from.
What places did you go? I was coming from CT so obviously I have seen what really expensive is. I just noticed that the cost of eating/entertainment of any sort in the area does not seem proportionate with the income levels of the residents. I see that being driven by tourists but what goes on during the off season? I mean it is a little strange when the prices of things are about the same or in some cases more expensive than what I pay in CT. Maybe I was at the wrong places, don't get me wrong I really did like the places we ate at. In fact, I think CDA is massively underrated for their food scene. I tried looking up some chowhound suggestions and they were practically ripping on the place. I didnt get one bad meal, just they all were priced to the point where I cannot see myself going out much should I live there.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I think sometimes people just think cheap when they think of Idaho. I look at what it costs to stay in a place to get a picture how desirable it is. Holiday Inn Express in Cda is $300-$380 a night right now. I think a lot of people do struggle to live here and you can see that over and over if you look through the threads. I thought it was a beautiful place to live (we were in the area for 12 years) and my kids would like to move back one day as adults. We had a very good income, but I know many people who have a tough time.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I think sometimes people just think cheap when they think of Idaho. I look at what it costs to stay in a place to get a picture how desirable it is. Holiday Inn Express in Cda is $300-$380 a night right now. I think a lot of people do struggle to live here and you can see that over and over if you look through the threads. I thought it was a beautiful place to live (we were in the area for 12 years) and my kids would like to move back one day as adults. We had a very good income, but I know many people who have a tough time.
Coincidentally that is where we stayed (the Holiday Inn Express in CDA, the new one) but we did it for 89.99 a night via a coupon we found in some rest areas. I did however time our trip so that we arrived the week before all the major rate increases kicked in.

We're not poor but living in CT has us feeling like it. We'd be doing quite alright in another location which is why we're looking around and have essentially finalized CDA as the place. We really enjoyed it on our stay it was just that I was caught off guard that the prices of the entertainment in the area was essentially on par with the New England/NY area pricing that we were used to and basically running away from. I did notice things like Daycare drastically cheaper and all so we'd still save money, just not as much as we thought. I was just wondering what those who don't have the luxury of taking a telecommute eastcoast job with them do for fun? I know there's a whole host of outdoor activities that we didnt really get to check out because the weather was garbage while we were there. Do the locals just simply ignore the touristy side of town and have their own gems they go to? That's what I am digging for, I am relentlessly frugal and am going to have to find those places eventually once we get there, I was just hoping for a heads up from this thread.

In fact if someone wants to put in some frugal recommendations for Restaurants that actually make their own food and/or have interesting menus I'd appreciate it. Price points that I'd love to hit but am not expected to find are closer to 5 dollars a plate for breakfast, 7ish for lunches and around 10 for dinners. Theres places here in my area of CT I can list off that meet that criteria but they're the exception, I guess that's what I am looking for.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
I would guess housing is less expensive in C'da than CT too. Post Falls, C'da and Hayden are all options for living and each have a different feel to them. When we first moved to the area, we bought a house in Post Falls. We were really young and it was our first house - it didn't take long to realize PF wasn't where we wanted to be. We really should have rented and figured it out later. Our favorite is Hayden and Hayden Lake.

For entertainment, we had a huge group of friends and spent a lot of time with them having fun dinners where everyone brought something (usually delicious and home made). We all had kids and they were a tight group also. We had season's passes to Silverwood Theme Park (awesome deal for locals) and the kids spent much of the summer at the water park. There is plenty of camping available, if that's your thing. We had kayaks and used them for entertainment and exercise. Also, the beach at Hayden Lake was a favorite hang out and Tubbs Hill in C'da is a treasure. It doesn't cost anything to hang out around the Resort, boardwalk and the lake. Hudson's Hamburgers is a place for cheap eats downtown. Our favorite spot in Hayden is The Porch. I love their Reuben Sandwich. If you look at Trip Advisor, 3 of the top 10 eateries are a sandwich cart, a grilled cheese place and a taco stand. I am guessing your frugal desires can be met!

Coincidentally, one of my best friends does telecommute from the East Coast. She is the only one though. We were global and could live anywhere, but we were the only one of our friends in that situation. Most are small business owners, professionals, restauranteurs - it isn't all roses, but I don't think they would consider living anywhere else. We did not think we would leave either, but surprise (!) we did move on. A little bit of my heart will always be in C'da. I happened to be there for my birthday last year and that big group of friends I mentioned had a huge party for me and even though I had an awful flu, they all came. Best friends I will ever have.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,364 times
I agree about entertainment, Cdarocks. I don't spend much money at all on entertainment around town. The occasional movie, but with camping, fishing, church events, beaches, swimming, free concerts & movies in the parks, art walks, music walks, hiking Tubbs and Canfield, community enrichment classes at NIC & UI-CdA, plus annual events like Dog d'Alene, Car d'Lane, holiday parades, Art on the Green, Parks Day...I haven't really had a need for much paid entertainment.

And for restaurants, I don't think most locals tend to eat at restaurants on a regular basis, more as a treat. I guess I don't know how that works in other parts of the country, but growing up, whether my parents had a lot of money or very little, we would go out to eat once per month, maximum. And sometimes that meant Wendy's. Otherwise it was homemade meals at home, pack your lunch to school/work. That's what I'm used to, and it seems to be what the vast majority of my friends are used to. I eat fast food perhaps once per week, and then the rest of my meals I prepare myself at home, or have potluck-style with friends. Going out to eat on a regular basis, especially to the more expensive restaurants, doesn't really cross my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho