Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 75,553 times

Advertisements

I'm a conservative Californian (Yes there actually are some despite what the libs in the media would like you to believe- you know that all us Californians are a bunch of doped out losers that hang out in Hollywood and make crappy movies and give opinions about things we know nothing about).

I'm not mormon and I am planning a relocation to the Twin falls Area. I suppose the locals all call it "Twin" for short. Will that be a problem for me?

I'm hearing that it won't be, and that the stereotypes and generalizations about the Idaho area are also not true (mostly lies spread by the Clinton News Network and the other liars in the media and Hollyhood).

Where can I live near/between Twin falls and American Falls that would OK?

All I care about is having a bit of land (an acre would be nice), next to or close to the outdoors, and a commute that's less than an hour. It looks like American falls is about an hour away from Twin, maybe a touch more, so something in between Twin Falls and Am. Falls would be great. Looks as if the map is dotted with a lot of small towns.

How friendly are they to non-mormons or outsiders in general?

How is the freeway/hwy during the winter?

I have kids, where are the good school districts up there?

Can I get a good buffalo burger up there? i don't even ask here, they look at me like I belong in a cave.

Please help. It would be appreciated. I'd like to add some good Californians up there so we can change our image. Most of us are leaving because the gov won't enforce the borders and we don't want to be near LA when the next 911 comes down.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:22 PM

313 posts, read 834,117 times
No, we are not all libs and hopefully others will figure that out. We're looking at Eastern ID...can't wait to get outta here! Good luck with your search!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
As for wanting a mix I'd go for Twin as it does have a college there so it brings in a diversity of people. American Falls, is much smaller than Twin and the commute between the two can sometimes be a bear in winter, prone to wind and snow which brings icy roads that do indeed get closed.

I'm not Mormon and live in the Idaho Falls area and don't have many issues at all, in fact do have some friends that "belong to the church", I don't push my beliefs on them and vice versa

The smaller towns, can be just that, everyone knows everyone's business.

I can't help you any with the schools, hopefully someone else will chime in.

I'd suggest visiting any area before moving to it first.

Don't think there aren't illegals up here as there are. Not as many, but there are.

I'm guessing you already have employment?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:03 AM

241 posts, read 998,575 times
I live in Twin County and I think that you might want to look in the Kimberly/Eden area. They are still small areas and only 15 min drive to Twin. Kimberly has great schools, their honor roll is always in the paper and it looks like most of the kids are on it. Plus Kim is a great outdoors town.

You will have no problems in the Twin area and they are real accepting of others and in my lil town of Buhl, there are over 10 different churches. Twin has been good to us cept for a few stange ppl, but that is normal. The smaller towns, like Castleford, are very backwards in their thinking and actions. So I would stay away from places like that. Burley/Rupert area are depressed as well and I wouldn't consider it for my kids to live there at all.

We do have some illegals but not like Cali or IF and Boise. Ours work at the dairies and usually keep to themselves. They are hard workers and are pretty nice ppl.

I-86 from the junction after Burley to American Falls is ok most of the time. In the winter it gets icy thanks to the wind. I have to drive it every weekend to IF to get my son and I hate it. There really isn't any place between Twin and American Falls that I would live or take my kids. American Falls is a really depressed area and full of illegals. They are real stuck up there and are a very mormon place. As for a commute it is more than a hr and not worth the drive.

You can get a Buffalo burger at Fort Hall Rez just north of Pocatello. You can also do some slot machines, if you are into that.

Last edited by my3arabs; 10-11-2006 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 75,553 times
Default Kimberly

I've heard good things about kimberly, and I like the fact that it's only about 15 minutes from Twin. If I worked in the Rupert/Burley area, would that mean that I could make that commute (From Kimberly to Rupert)? It seems about a half hour at the most.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Kimberly is about 35 miles from Rupert/Burley area. So on a good day, yeah about half an hour. On an icy day give it about another 30 minutes and an extra 10 to change your britches the first few times (or to pry your fingers from the stweering wheel).

Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Rupert/Burley is 37 miles from the Twin exit on I-84, not much of a drive for you. They do pretty well to keep the interstate clear from Twin to the junction so it isn't that bad. BUT if you aren't use to driving in the snow and ice you should put some weight in the trunk of your car or in your pickup for better traction and take it slow. You should go out into a huge parking lot and learn how to handle the skids and such before you get headed on the road, that is what I did. I have a 4X4 that I put old bales of hay in the back and on packed snow I will put it in 4 high and stick to the passing lane for better traction. You will have no traction on a freshly plowed road. Plus out here in Southern ID we don't get the snow like they do on the East side but we do get some nasty winds.

Last edited by my3arabs; 10-11-2006 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: adding more thoughts to it

Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM

246 posts, read 329,370 times
Default Response from a real conservative (Thomas Malthus type)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerdogsforall View Post
I'm a conservative Californian (Yes there actually are some despite what the libs in the media would like you to believe- you know that all us Californians are a bunch of doped out losers that hang out in Hollywood and make crappy movies and give opinions about things we know nothing about).
The problem with Californians moving to Idaho is not their attitude, and it's not that the state needs any more Michael Savage types. The problem is that there are over 30 million Californians, most of which want to move to Idaho.

There isn't enough room for you all. Please stay where you are.

Magpies

Last edited by Marka; 10-15-2006 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies
The problem is that there are over 30 million Californians, most of which want to move to Idaho.

Magpies
Not everyone wants to move to Idaho! Idaho isn't all that and there are other states that are better. If someone from CA wants to move here then they have the RIGHT to do so. Just like everyone else has the right to LEAVE ID if they don't like what is going on. Look on the other threads for the other states and you will see the ppl of Cali are moving every where and there are tons of ppl from other states moving to Cali.

Accept the fact that there is change and every state goes through changes all of the time. If you want your state to not have a bad reputation for treating ppl horribly then accept the ppl that move in and don't tell them to stay away!

Last edited by Marka; 10-15-2006 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 10-13-2006, 03:32 PM

246 posts, read 329,370 times
Quote:
The problem is that there are over 30 million Californians, most of which want to move to Idaho.

Magpies
Quote:
Not everyone wants to move to Idaho! Idaho isn't all that and there are other states that are better.
Excellent response. Now if we can only take out a full page ad in the LA Times with those words, in bold caps.

Magpies

Last edited by Marka; 10-15-2006 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: repaired code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho