Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:46 PM

408 posts, read 291,364 times

Advertisements

If I want to learn the dialect spoken in the rural countrified parts of Idaho what vowels must I change and what are some exclusively Idahoan words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 09:09 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
You would still be in America. You could get by speaking American English.... or Spanish, actually if you don't want to learn how to speak English.

The problem you would run into in Idaho is that culturally, people tend to be more independent and your neighbors would expect you to take care of yourself and they would not be at all interested in taking care of you. So you would have trouble fitting in at the cultural level, not the language level.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:49 PM

212 posts, read 231,256 times
The first thing that comes to mind is “creek” being pronounced like “crik.”

In Montana, someone calls their pickup truck or their car their outfit. Maybe they say that in Idaho too?

I don’t think you’re going to need to change your accent to be understood though. And hey there’s no official language in America so speak Spanish all you want. Remember, if someone insists on you conforming to speak English, that’s some unAmerican behavior, and you know you’re free to speak any language you want

Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 PM

131 posts, read 197,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post

In Montana, someone calls their pickup truck or their car their outfit. Maybe they say that in Idaho too?

I don’t think you’re going to need to change your accent to be understood though. And hey there’s no official language in America so speak Spanish all you want. Remember, if someone insists on you conforming to speak English, that’s some unAmerican behavior, and you know you’re free to speak any language you want
Idahoans call their vehicles “rigs”. In the rig, is a “jockey box”, also known as a glovebox.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:34 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
Idahoans call their vehicles “rigs”. In the rig, is a “jockey box”, also known as a glovebox.
I've only heard a vehicle referred to as a "rig" years ago in rural Idaho. I haven't heard this in Boise or the metro.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,128 times
Rig is very common up north, especially outdoor oriented vehicles. A truck and trailer, UTV or even a motorhome can all be rigs.
I have not noticed any discernible accent like Boston or NY or New Orleans have.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:41 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post

It’s referred to as a rig.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I haven't noticed anything "strange" to Idaho speech, nothing as noticeable as how Utahns say "moun'ain."
This! LDS lingo

Old 08-10-2022, 09:25 PM

817 posts, read 629,631 times
Most native old generation Idahoans probably say "pop" for soda or "ruff" for roof. Otherwise, West coast english is pretty much standard for Idaho nowadays, something like 60% of the state's population is originally from California.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Pop still is in use on the west coast, maybe not Idaho so much. But it still exists as the west coast version of soda, perhaps lessor in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho