Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM

63 posts, read 167,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
Sorry wrong link I meant to post the Newsweek article. I thought it might be interesting and relavant to the thread title and buying rental properties in Pocatello. Hyperboye ? you decide.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-i-became...slumlord-80447

Ha, ha... Did you read this newest article?

I presume you are linking it because the author talks about poverty and the conclusions are no surprise. In Massachusetts (where the author originates) the per capita income is over $35,000 (2011), while Idaho is just $22,000. The article actually does more damage to the reputation of this "slumlord" than the people of Pocatello

IMO, add something, be more than a linkster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
Ha, ha... Did you read this newest article?

I presume you are linking it because the author talks about poverty and the conclusions are no surprise. In Massachusetts (where the author originates) the per capita income is over $35,000 (2011), while Idaho is just $22,000. The article actually does more damage to the reputation of this "slumlord" than the people of Pocatello

I'll agree. The guy was a moron to purchase property unseen even if to write an article.

This paragraph from the article implies Pocatello is doing better than other areas of the country.

"By most measures, Pocatello's market is holding up well. Its average home price fell less than 1 percent in 2008, far less than the national average. That resiliency is largely due to its tepid growth during the boom years: prices in Pocatello only rose by an average of 6 percent between 2000 and 2006. Johnston says most boom-era investors are doing just fine. "The people who were stretching or got in over their heads [with multiple properties], they're the ones who are in trouble right now," Johnston says."

I lived north of Detroit n 2008 and you, blendin, think Pocatello is dirty and a bad place to live...take a trip to Detroit; that will open your eyes. And yes, I understand Detroit is a larger city, but at the rate it is shrinking it might end up being the same size as Pocatello. (Sarcasm)

I've been in Pocatello many times; not in all areas of course, but in the areas I have visited, it is no dirtier; nor cleaner than other cities I have been in and/or lived in.

So, blendin, continue to bash, but due to your other posts, most will understand they are meaningless.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM

On another note. One thing I have noted with real estate updates via the internet; Blackfoot has an extremely high number of foreclosures and I'm curious as to why? Is it that bad of a city, is the government full of morons (more than usual number of morons), increase in taxes, or some very large industrial areas closing? Anyone know?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM

100 posts, read 227,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
Sorry I was on my way out the door, I was just surprised to see Pocatello in a national media source. I also thought it gave some insight into the Pocatello rental market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I lived north of Detroit n 2008 and you, blendin, think Pocatello is dirty and a bad place to live...take a trip to Detroit; that will open your eyes. And yes, I understand Detroit is a larger city, but at the rate it is shrinking it might end up being the same size as Pocatello. (Sarcasm)

I've been in Pocatello many times; not in all areas of course, but in the areas I have visited, it is no dirtier; nor cleaner than other cities I have been in and/or lived in.
Well, I guess things are all relevant you could compare Detroit to Ethiopia and it might look like a pretty nice place.

I do wish they would do something with downtown Pocatello.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
I was in Pocatello last month. It's growing and there is definitely a vibe of change there. I don't think it is dirty and old town is awesome with the old historic architecture and density. I noticed several new shops and restaurants. It is a small city with families and a sense of community.

I think blender was hanging out on the tracks in the old industrial part of town.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM

I'll honestly say I am beginning to really like Pocatello, but am seriously looking at homes in Chubbuck.

Talked with a friend last night who lives in Idaho Falls and she stated, "Blackfoot is a sad little town that is slowly disappearing."

Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
Sorry I was on my way out the door, I was just surprised to see Pocatello in a national media source. I also thought it gave some insight into the Pocatello rental market.

Well, I guess things are all relevant you could compare Detroit to Ethiopia and it might look like a pretty nice place.

I do wish they would do something with downtown Pocatello.
Wow...are you really that ignorant? Stop reading the tablet in the bathroom and get out and see the world. Travel to Ethiopia, Turkey, Egypt, Chad, and a few other middle east and/or sub-Saharan countries and then come back to the US. Might be an eye opener, or it might be an eye closer.

Get out and travel the USA. You will find that in the greater majority of all cities over about 25K, the downtown districts are decaying due to the population moving to the suburbs. Smaller cities are not affected as much, but it will happen as they get larger.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
On another note. One thing I have noted with real estate updates via the internet; Blackfoot has an extremely high number of foreclosures and I'm curious as to why? Is it that bad of a city, is the government full of morons (more than usual number of morons), increase in taxes, or some very large industrial areas closing? Anyone know?
Blackfoot is very agriculture-centered, and has a several big potato processing plants. One of the biggest, French's, I believe, was shut down a few years ago, and laid a lot of workers off. The other big processors are pretty seasonal, and that may be a factor in Blackfoot's homes for sale.

Blackfoot has never been a fast-growing city in comparison to Idaho Falls and Pocatello.

An odd side note:
No one is sure where the town's name came from. It has no relation to the Blackfeet indian tribe at all, as they never ranged in this territory; in fact, the Blackfeet came down from Montana to raid the native Shoshone tribe, who has always lived in this part if Idaho. The Shoshones hated and feared them.

Just the other day, I came across an old French slang word that translates into 'black foot'. It referred to Canadian French ne'er do wells, sort of like calling someone a hobo or a bum. I suspect the French trappers who were the first Europeans in this area and named many places from the Teton mountains to Coeur d'Alene may have called themselves 'black foots'.

Fort Hall, which lay just outside of modern Blackfoot, was one of the first trading posts in the intermountain west. It's was established by a Bostonian in 1834, but wasn't able to compete with the Hudson's Bay Trading Co. in Canada, and was sold to Hudson's Bay 2 years later. The name Blackfoot probably started then, and was translated into English soon afterward.

By the 1850's, Fort Hall was a major stop on the Oregon Trail; it was the place where the Oregon and California trails diverged, and was the last major stop on either trail until both reached their respective territories.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I was in Pocatello last month. It's growing and there is definitely a vibe of change there. I don't think it is dirty and old town is awesome with the old historic architecture and density. I noticed several new shops and restaurants. It is a small city with families and a sense of community.

I think blender was hanging out on the tracks in the old industrial part of town.
I was in Pocatello two days ago! And it was a very nice experience. The old historic part of town across the tracks is fascinating; you really get a sense of a pioneer town. The evening temperature was perfect, people were friendly, and we stayed at a great hotel. No complaints.

Oh, and this thing about railroad towns being dumps... A town must have a reason for being. Sometimes it's the railroad. Yes, there are some parts of old railroad towns that one should probably avoid. That doesn't make Poky a "dump." That would be the same as saying that Missoula is a dump, or San Diego...

Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Well, I'll be wondering the streets on Sunday and following the agent around on Monday looking at three houses in Pocatello and two in Chubbuck. I believe it is more promising for the two in Chubbuck, but who can tell.
Probably take the Mal over to the Pocatello fenched in dog park for a few. Great place to meet and talk with people who are usually familiar with the area.

[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho