Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,785,489 times

Advertisements

Search didn't show any hits. Like some other colleges in other areas/states, do colleges/universities in the CdA area have no-cost, or low-cost tuition fees for retirees? The web site for NIC, UI-CdA, nor Lewis-Clark State College do not indicate such a program.

Last edited by volosong; 09-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Search didn't show any hits. Like some other colleges in other areas/states, do colleges/universities in the CdA area have no-cost, or low-cost tuition fees for retirees? The web site for NIC, UI-CdA, nor Lewis-Clark State College do not indicate such a program.
Good question!
I vaguely recall a mention of some free senior extension classes that were planned to be offered down here by ISU and possibly, some of the other state colleges, but I don't know if any of the plans ever came to pass or not.
I think offering some basic extension courses, either for free or close to it, would be a big help for seniors and younger folks who are trying to get into college alike. Entrance exams are still tougher than many high school grads are prepared for, and as I see it, extension classes are a good way to improve our state's higher education problems.

Lord knows, as a senior myself, a challenging class would certainly do me no harm, and there remains more stuff I know nothing about than the stuff I know. I would be the first in line if a class was affordable in the areas I know I don't know anything about.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:18 PM

In my research for a retirement home, one of the things high on the list of desirables, along with weather, natural beauty, a church in which I can serve, and several other factors, is access to a nearby college/university. Not only does a college/university provide its community with some "class", such as theater plays and symphonys; as with you BM, there are so many subjects that I want to learn. For example, physics, because that explains how the earth and stuff works. I can't take classes now because I'm teaching myself several nights a week at my local community college.

Another thing on my bucket list is purchase my own scull. It is encouraging to see that NID has an active rowing scene, even though the season is relatively short.

On retiree tuition, I'll probably have to visit the schools themselves this winter when I come to visit. I plan to come in early December when my semester is over. Hopefully, schools in NID continue a few weeks longer.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

820 posts, read 1,742,079 times
I have to be at NIC tomorrow for a event, Ill check

Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In my research for a retirement home, one of the things high on the list of desirables, along with weather, natural beauty, a church in which I can serve, and several other factors, is access to a nearby college/university. Not only does a college/university provide its community with some "class", such as theater plays and symphonys; as with you BM, there are so many subjects that I want to learn. For example, physics, because that explains how the earth and stuff works. I can't take classes now because I'm teaching myself several nights a week at my local community college.

Another thing on my bucket list is purchase my own scull. It is encouraging to see that NID has an active rowing scene, even though the season is relatively short.

On retiree tuition, I'll probably have to visit the schools themselves this winter when I come to visit. I plan to come in early December when my semester is over. Hopefully, schools in NID continue a few weeks longer.
Coming in December is a smart idea. It's easy to fall in love with a place in the summertime when everything is in full glory, but a winter visit really informs a person how a place is when things aren't so Technicolor.

I've had a big hankering lately to refresh some ancient geology stuff I learned in high school. It, too, teaches you a lot about the earth, and geology determines much in geography. Geography really plays a major part of how a society lives, thinks, and works in an environment.

I wouldn't mind taking a creative writing class, either.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,680,199 times
Hi All,

You might enjoy this link. They also use volunteers so check it out!

Contact USGS Offices In Your State: Idaho

Old 09-11-2014, 03:57 PM

820 posts, read 1,742,079 times
Boom, found this for you!

NIC Senior Rate

Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Boom, found this for you!

NIC Senior Rate
That's totally awesome. Thank you, Shaner. One more box that I can check off on the pro/con list. Your leg-work is much appreciated.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:11 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,693,281 times
See? Idaho is calling you!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
See? Idaho is calling you!
Seems as if. Just to serve as way of a reminder . . . I'm not a California escapee . . . I have deep roots in Idaho. On my father's side, my great grandparents were born, lived, died, and are buried in Idaho. Also, my great-great grandparents, while not born in Idaho, lived, worked, died, and are buried in Idaho. My paternal grandparents were born and raised in Idaho, but moved to SoCal for economic reasons. I would just be a lost, native son finally coming home to live out the rest of the days allotted to me by the good Lord. I just hope that I can give back to Idaho more that I receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho