Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,324 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My family and I are looking to move out of California pretty soon, like within the next year. (I know most Idahoans hate California but bear with me, I hate it too.) Growing tired of California with it's high prices for everything, bad air quality, high taxes, having to have 2 jobs just to afford a one bedroom apartment... and it's so industrial.. there's buildings everywhere. There's less and less nature day after day with more and more houses being built and more and more businesses opening up.

Anyways, we want a change of scenery and would LOVE to move to Idaho. I've done tons of research, we've been thinking about this Idaho move for at least 2 years now. I've read tons of forums, and have looked at tons of sites for different towns in Idaho. The towns I've been looking at are Boise, Couer D'Alene, Kuna, Eagle, Meridian and Pocatello but would be considering other towns if they so fit our preferred wants/needs. We would love to live in a town that provides all seasons, I heard CDA has long winters, with tons of snow. But that's bearable right?

We would like to live in a somewhat rural area with neighbors that aren't too close, but have access to shopping and fun things to do at LEAST 20 minutes away. My sister needs a good Junior High to go to. I will be attending a Cosmetology School so if you have any info on that please inform me. We would obviously prefer a really safe town, very low crime rates and being able to let my sister play outside without worrying about sketchy people.

Here's some questions I have:

Which towns get all four seasons without really long winters?

Which Cosmetology school is the best in Idaho?

I heard Idaho has really good charter schools, should my sister attend one of those?

Does the snow get so bad that you can't even leave your driveway?

We plan on staying a week for a visit of the towns, any hotel recommendations?

Is it hard getting a job in Idaho without a degree?

Do Idahoans hate Californians as much as people say they do?

What's the best month to go to Idaho in, to get the best feel of the states weather?

Lastly, what are some events that we should attend while we're there (if we can)?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvck.velvett View Post
Hey everyone. My family and I are looking to move out of California pretty soon, like within the next year. (I know most Idahoans hate California but bear with me, I hate it too.)
We don;t hate Californians or anyone. I have never found a community which is more friendly and down to earth.

Quote:
Growing tired of California with it's high prices for everything, bad air quality, high taxes, having to have 2 jobs just to afford a one bedroom apartment... and it's so industrial.. there's buildings everywhere. There's less and less nature day after day with more and more houses being built and more and more businesses opening up.
I think it is human nature to think of many aspects of their lives as permanent, which in fact each things has a eat-by date and a true soil date.

Exiting WW2, California's population was about 8-9 million. freeways lanes were wide and uncrowded, as were beaches and parks. Today, the population just shy of 40 million. Even if Californians were as nice as Idahoans the sheer mass of people is simply too much to overcome.

Quote:
Anyways, we want a change of scenery and would LOVE to move to Idaho. I've done tons of research, we've been thinking about this Idaho move for at least 2 years now. I've read tons of forums, and have looked at tons of sites for different towns in Idaho. The towns I've been looking at are Boise, Couer D'Alene, Kuna, Eagle, Meridian and Pocatello but would be considering other towns if they so fit our preferred wants/needs. We would love to live in a town that provides all seasons, I heard CDA has long winters, with tons of snow. But that's bearable right?
I have not traversed all the state, but the entire stretch from the Canadian border to Stanley is gorgeous and deliciously uncrowded. We love our space...keeps us sane.

Best, S.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:51 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
No. Idaho residents do not "hate" Californians. What they do "hate" is when Californians bring their progressive and liberal political philosophies and their "better than thou" attitudes and try to change Idaho to be more like where they came from. Idaho is fine as it is. Idaho believes in person liberty and personal responsibility. If you slip on a slick patch of ice and hurt yourself, it's your own stupid fault for not being more careful. In California, they would sue the landowner.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 AM

291 posts, read 438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
No. Idaho residents do not "hate" Californians. What they do "hate" is when Californians bring their progressive and liberal political philosophies and their "better than thou" attitudes and try to change Idaho to be more like where they came from. Idaho is fine as it is. Idaho believes in person liberty and personal responsibility. If you slip on a slick patch of ice and hurt yourself, it's your own stupid fault for not being more careful. In California, they would sue the landowner.
Can't rep you again until I spread it around but great post.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:34 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
As others have already said, this is way overblown. We're from CA, and have never encountered any negative reaction from anyone we've meet in Idaho about that fact. Accept Idaho for what it is and you'll find Idahoans are among the friendliest people you've met.

Quote:
What's the best month to go to Idaho in, to get the best feel of the states weather?
Everywhere in the state there are 4 seasons, so the weather is very different depending on when you are there. The best idea would be to visit several times at different times of the year to get a true feeling for the weather. If you can't take the time to do that my suggestion would be to pick the season you are most concerned about NOT liking, and visit there at that time. For example, if you are most concerned about not liking the winters, go in winter and see if you think you can handle it. The only caveat then is it's one thing to put up with the weather for a week, altogether another to put up with it for several months in a row.

Quote:
Lastly, what are some events that we should attend while we're there (if we can)?
Once you narrow down the location and the time of year I'm sure folks here can help you out with some things to do while you are there.

Dave

Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM

212 posts, read 308,972 times
Quote:

I heard Idaho has really good charter schools, should my sister attend one of those?

Does the snow get so bad that you can't even leave your driveway?

We plan on staying a week for a visit of the towns, any hotel recommendations?

Answering the above questions as they relate to CDA:

1. There is a charter school in CDA. I don't know how "good" it is. It's still a government school providing government indoctrination. Homeschool is really the only solution.

2. I haven't been here through a full winter yet but my neighbors tell me the snow accumulation is usually nothing a snow shovel can't handle.

3. Spring Hill Suites on Seltice in CDA. Nice, new hotel. In Boise, Oxford Suites is nice.

4. It seems most people I meet here are from California. Shouldn't be an issue.

5. January is really good to get a sense of winter. Plus there are Bald Eagles to see at the lake. If you will be driving all over the state it might be better to come during the summer so you don't have to concern yourself with hazardous driving in the mountains.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 AM

227 posts, read 382,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
THIS! 100% agree! We moved from CO (Kalifornia Part II) and TX prior to that. We're glad to be Idahoans now and sure as hell believe in liberty AND personal responsibility. Hell, we are even a little concerned with building in Sagle, knowing how liberal Sandpoint is. Many might laugh at that but it's all relative I guess. It really did disgust me to see that Sandpoint voted for Obama...TWICE...and elects Democrats mostly. Fortunately, everywhere else in Bonner county people are overwhelmingly conservative and override those Sandpoint votes. I do fear for how things will be 30 years from now.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:48 PM

294 posts, read 544,647 times
I'm not sure why californians can not let go of that state when they move away from it. I know some of them that have lived in Idaho for over 20 yrs and still have to talk about it. The start of a conversation is irrelevant. It always turns to "well in california - blah blah blah". If you want to move away from an area, don't bring it with you in any way to your new area.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
THIS! 100% agree! We moved from CO (Kalifornia Part II) and TX prior to that. We're glad to be Idahoans now and sure as hell believe in liberty AND personal responsibility. Hell, we are even a little concerned with building in Sagle, knowing how liberal Sandpoint is. Many might laugh at that but it's all relative I guess. It really did disgust me to see that Sandpoint voted for Obama...TWICE...and elects Democrats mostly. Fortunately, everywhere else in Bonner county people are overwhelmingly conservative and override those Sandpoint votes. I do fear for how things will be 30 years from now.
We talk about Sandpoint "little Berkeley" in jest, but understand that it's only about 60/40 blue/red, versus the rest of the county that is 75/25 red/blue. So while Sandpoint is this way, I don't see it spreading into the rest of Bonner County. And seriously, you have to understand that while the RESIDENTS of Sandpoint (city) may go 60/40 blue/red, because 50% of our county uses Sandpoint as our "center of commerce", the people you run into won't be like going to Berkeley where they're hostile. I wear my MOLON LABE T-shirts in town, and more often than not I have people ask where I got it from. Bumper stickers on cars here are often very right-wing, etc.

So while the town's residents tend to go democrat, the town FEELS much less liberal when living here because of how many non-residents (those of us from the surrounding several miles) use it on a daily basis. AND our liberal people aren't hostile to conservatives in the way they are in Seattle or the SF Bay Area...since while they're the slight majority in SP, they're outnumbered badly in the county. AND, as Idahoans, we're just a lot more chill about our interpersonal discussions/interactions with those of other political views. It's mostly the city council that makes you think the town is 80/20 liberal.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Speaking of Sandpoint . . . I noticed when I visited last week that the lake level was low. Is this normal for this time of year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho