Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:51 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how much of the old burned stumps and scars are left now. It's been a long time since I last went over the Lolo Pass- back in the 60s, when I was going to school in Moscow, I drove the Lolo regularly, and 50 years after the fire, the canyon still looked almost completely burned out except in scattered spots. I once asked a logging student about the fire, and he said it was so hot in the Lolo that the soil was sterilized, and all the natural seeding on the ground and just underneath it was vaporized. The only ash on the ground came from the trees.

It would sure be interesting if you could take some pics as you cruise around to see what it's like 105 years later in those areas.

In contrast, there's a stretch of US 191 along the Gallatin river that cuts into the Yellowstone boundary for a few miles. The hills there were completely burned in the 1988 fires, but over the years, new growth timber has come back strong. That fire must not have been as hot as in the Lolo. A 3 million acre burn in 36 hours is beyond my comprehension.

It sure is sobering. I've seen the hills above Boise all on fire, and 3 fires in Salmon, and some real bad ones in Montana, and big range fires from one end of the state to the other, but none were close to the fury of the Big Burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Folks who are new to living in the Idaho panhandle and those who are thinking of moving there need to watch this.
The Big Burn . American Experience . WGBH | PBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I recently read the book by the same name written by Timothy Egan - I recommend that for people that are interested in this subject.
Was browsing Netflix tonight for something to watch; saw that American Experience: The Big Burn is now available for watching through Netflix. When the credits ran, the first screen mentions that the documentary is based in part on Egan's book, The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America. Well worth the fifty-one minutes it takes to watch.

Additionally, Egan's book may be available as an audiobook from your local library. I've only gotten part-way through, but ripped it to MP3 for later listening.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Was browsing Netflix tonight for something to watch; saw that American Experience: The Big Burn is now available for watching through Netflix. When the credits ran, the first screen mentions that the documentary is based in part on Egan's book, The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America. Well worth the fifty-one minutes it takes to watch.

Additionally, Egan's book may be available as an audiobook from your local library. I've only gotten part-way through, but ripped it to MP3 for later listening.

Thanks, Volo!
I'll watch it again!

I'm hoping for a mild summer. All the moisture we got recently caused everything to start growing fast and hard, and if the summer turns out to be hot and dry, we could have the makings for a lot of fuel for wildfire by August or September.

Some mid-summer monsoons would sure relieve those anxieties. Last summer wasn't a scorcher, but we still had the largest range fire on record anyway, and it could have been much worse than it was if it had spread into the national forests.

As always, pray for rain come late June, folks. It helps the farmers. And it damps down wildfires too.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I was wondering how much of the old burned stumps and scars are left now. It's been a long time since I last went over the Lolo Pass- back in the 60s, when I was going to school in Moscow, I drove the Lolo regularly, and 50 years after the fire, the canyon still looked almost completely burned out except in scattered spots. I once asked a logging student about the fire, and he said it was so hot in the Lolo that the soil was sterilized, and all the natural seeding on the ground and just underneath it was vaporized. The only ash on the ground came from the trees.

U of I grants a degree in LOGGING???

BTW...I would rather have a shovel and dirt to defend my house than a Pulaski....but it is a good tool.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
U of I grants a degree in LOGGING???

BTW...I would rather have a shovel and dirt to defend my house than a Pulaski....but it is a good tool.
Forest management and other related degrees. There's a School of Forestry and a School of Mines at the U of I.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
thanks..for the correction.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:38 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Start of fire season. This is a good time to remind people to maintain defensible space around their homes.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
In 1977 I bought 20 acres in The Idaho Panhandle near the Montana border about 25 miles NE of Sandpoint. The fire had burned through my property in 1910. There were many very tall trees that were grey in color and void of bark and limbs. They looked like giant grey toothpicks. We called them "snags". They were everywhere. I have a picture of our tipi that we lived in for two years but it's on another thread in this forum and I don't know how to get it to here. There were a couple of times that smoke from other fires filled the trees and air while we were there. It's scary when that happens.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Same thing at our place, 35 miles east of Sandpoint, (but I already mentioned that on the previous page). We had a ring of "defensible space" cleared of trees and shrubs last year, but we opted to leave two burned stumps from 1910 out in the new meadow. Now they stand out as little monuments to a dreadful event, and a reminder to be fire conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho