Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,888 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm moving to Moscow this summer to complete my degree and am hoping someone can offer me advice on where to live. I am trying to find an apartment that is quiet, close to campus, and relatively low priced (I have a mortgage here in PDX to pay for as well). I would also really appreciate it if someone could tell me which parts of the city tend to have Greek/frat, college bars, or college party areas (I searched the forum, but couldn't find it) so I can avoid them. I'm trying to find someplace in biking/walking distance to campus without reliving the undergraduate experience.

Also, I had a friend that lived in Moscow years ago recommend the Elysian apartments, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion/impression about them.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM

85 posts, read 137,785 times
Besides a few sketchy trailer parks and white harlem, the rest of the town is a go. You can bike to school from anywhere in town. I believe all the frats are on campus, however, you never know who will move in next door the following semester.
The bars, and everything else, is down town. A few on the outskirts but that's about it.
I don't know about Elysian, I rent from a privet owner.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,035 times
What Hudge said. You have frat row, and downtown, other than that, it should be easy to find what you want. You could always knock on the door of the house next to one you love and ask. Someone did that to me the other day, just asking how the neighborhood was.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! I'm going through the rental listings now.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,276,437 times
Here is an interactive campus map. Link

If you look closely at it you can see that Greek Row is the area to the right of campus near the Student Union Building. It's made up of a couple blocks along Deakin Ave., Sweet Ave., College Ave., Idaho Ave., Elm St., Seventh St., Sixth St., Blake Ave. and there are some going up the ridge along Nez Pierce Dr.

In the area along Blake Ave and Taylor Dr you'll get into some campus housing and apartments. Back there along the south side of campus you can find some apartments where a lot of students live along the hill but it's still a party atmosphere over there because of the proximity to the fraternities and sorority houses. To tell the difference between them the sororities are the white houses and the frats are the red brick houses. There are some frats that are made of wood and last I saw they were painted a navy color or a color other than the white that signifies sorority house.

Among Greek Row there are some small businesses that are nice to go to like a little house converted into a deli and a pub that has a porch you can sit out on. I wouldn't avoid the area all together but I understand if you don't want to live over there.

The area you probably want to live in would be on the other side of campus at the top of the map directly across from the Student Recreation Center crossing ID-8 is called 'student row'. There is some graduate housing along Third Street right to the right of the Student Recreation Center but if you don't want campus housing then you're going to be looking in this area along W. A St. between Baker St. and Line St. There are many apartments and places to rent in there and students can walk or bike to campus crossing ID-8 from there. Coming from that direction you'll cross through the dorms and the learning living center with international housing along Sixth St. and on the other side of Sixth St. is the rest of campus.

The bars are going to be downtown which is a couple blocks to the right of the map near main st. There is also housing there too from the Student Union building past HWY 95. There's really affordable housing right downtown above the bars on each corner of Friendship Square, but you said you don't want to live near that either which is probably best. If you have a car there's housing all the way out to Mountain View Rd and along ID-8 and Hwy-95. I think there is even a bus system that some students use but I never tried it except for the free shuttle route on campus during the year that would take students around campus to their cars in the parking lots.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 04-20-2015 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho