Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
Because this is not overly sensational and/or extreme like some other recent threads. Adults who are promiscuous should lay in the bed they make and we should all help make sure our kids know the dangers of promiscuity and to not make stupid choices.
I was clear my purpose was not to judge. I wanted to make sure NID posters were aware.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
So many diseases are never eradicated. So few actually do disappear forever.
So much of our immunity to outbreak depends on herd immunity and constant preventative awareness.

Unless a disease is a new, exotic, and lethal killer, no disease gets much attention any more.

Four cases of Ebola virus got covered like a blanket by all the media while several thousand folks died from the seasonal flu that was going around and was never mentioned much at all.

Like they say- when it comes to the news, if it bleeds, it leads. We are all much more protected from disease than we have ever been, and we all take our resistance far too much for granted. That's because around the turn of the 20th century, when effective vaccines were first discovered, so many people of all ages, social positions, and states of health were killed by disease.
President Teddy Roosevelt lost his wife and mother to disease on the same day.

100 years ago, a diagnosis of diabetes was an automatic death sentence. Diabetes patients commonly drank themselves to death to spare themselves a very painful death. Tuberculosis killed millions yearly, slowly and agonizingly. Diphtheria killed entire towns and sometimes entire regions. A simple infection could be a death sentence. A systemic infection could kill a family from starvation if the provider went blind or lost a limb. Mothers and babies died in millions from childbirth.

Entire family trees were wiped out by diseases 80 years ago. 60 years ago, polio killed and crippled millions every summer. 40 years ago, influenza killed people as quickly as it does now in great numbers that haven't changed since. 30 years ago AIDS wiped out millions of men, women, and children despite intense attention to the disease.

Nowadays, our changing climate is creating conditions that haven't been seen in places for centuries. We know almost nothing about what ancient diseases may re-awaken and return to scourge humanity.

The 'sweating sickness' of the 16th century suddenly appeared, killed millions all over Europe and N. America, then just as suddenly disappeared, and we modern humans know nothing about the disease, which killed within 48 hours, any more than the people of the time did. While there is plenty of written evidence of it's existence, there are no forensics to tell us what the disease was or how to fight it. The same is true with ancient plagues. Both may be lying dormant in our soil, patiently waiting for the right conditions to allow it to emerge again. Many others are patiently mutating, adjusting to our changing climate.

Our defenses are better than any other time in humanity, but we are never smart enough or skillful enough to combat viruses and bacteria. Our immunity and invincibility is only an illusion. Vaccines are our only hope agains massive outbreaks and have always been our only hope, but we now argue about their risks more than their benefits.

Just goes to show we are a foolish species. We alone have the means to do something about disease, but we prefer bickering to survival. Just goes to show that if it bleeds, it leads. And if it bleeds, it's often already too late, so it will lead in creating fear.

And we humans do love our fear.
Maybe, when the next big disease rolls around and begins to kill millions of us, we will go back to doing what the Incas did. Sacrificing thousands on their temples was about as good a way at eradicating a killer diseases any other method of the time, and spectacularly so. The dead don't spread when bodies are disposed of.

Our spectacles will probably be different, but the end result may be the same. I sure hope our wisdom prevails before the next big plague arrives.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:50 PM

I can't speak to the immunity issue except once treated for Gonorrhea does not prevent further infections.

What I did want to add are the risk of complications for not treating gonorrhea. From infertility in both men and women, blindness in newborns born to mothers infected with GC to a higher rate of HIV/AIDS. You can read others here

Gonorrhea Complications - Mayo Clinic.

I hope all teens have someone in their lives who would help them get treatment. Certainly additional education is needed.

This is a bigger deal than some want to believe. In 2012, as a state, ID ranked #45 out of 50 for STDs. That was from the CDC. The CDC combines all cases in the state together.

MSR

Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 PM

CynCnynrat (AKA Dave)

This was the most current information I could find. You can open different health district reports about the various STDs. It is reported by health district. I found a shaded map that indicates which counties had the highest rates of the various STDs, but the most recent is from 2009. Certainly the population has increased since then. Please post if you would like to see the old data, as two counties did have higher rates than the others. But that was six years ago.

In our local newspaper in Idaho Falls today a detailed story of the sex trafficking occurring in Idaho currently. Outside the metro Boise areas, few officers new what to look for. I think that will be changing statewide......

Those who abduct mostly teen girls, but some boys, had a big ring busted recently that was headed to the oil field workers in N.D. Idaho teens were in that group.

One point the article made is ads are being posted on backdoor.com (I think that is the name - I'll check it). If there is "interest" the males running the rings will stop at towns along the way so the teen girls can earn money. They will stay in one area longer if there is interest and no cops to recognize what they are seeing. While it is unknown, certainly one of these sex trafficking rings could be in the Panhandle and the source of many of the infections. That would explain how come the epidemiologist can't track this down more easily.

Of course there are other possibilities too.

Here's the link:

STD & HIV/AIDS Statistics

MSR

Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
CynCnynrat (AKA Dave)

This was the most current information I could find. You can open different health district reports about the various STDs. It is reported by health district. I found a shaded map that indicates which counties had the highest rates of the various STDs, but the most recent is from 2009. Certainly the population has increased since then. Please post if you would like to see the old data, as two counties did have higher rates than the others. But that was six years ago.

In our local newspaper in Idaho Falls today a detailed story of the sex trafficking occurring in Idaho currently. Outside the metro Boise areas, few officers new what to look for. I think that will be changing statewide......

Those who abduct mostly teen girls, but some boys, had a big ring busted recently that was headed to the oil field workers in N.D. Idaho teens were in that group.

One point the article made is ads are being posted on backdoor.com (I think that is the name - I'll check it). If there is "interest" the males running the rings will stop at towns along the way so the teen girls can earn money. They will stay in one area longer if there is interest and no cops to recognize what they are seeing. While it is unknown, certainly one of these sex trafficking rings could be in the Panhandle and the source of many of the infections. That would explain how come the epidemiologist can't track this down more easily.

Of course there are other possibilities too.

Here's the link:

STD & HIV/AIDS Statistics

MSR
2 were busted in the Twin Falls area in the last year or so. it looks like anywhere there's a nearby Interstate, and especially an Interstate junction or connection to another, is especially prone for this. Twin is the closest town to the I-15/I-84 junction of any size big enough to not attract attention.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
2 were busted in the Twin Falls area in the last year or so. it looks like anywhere there's a nearby Interstate, and especially an Interstate junction or connection to another, is especially prone for this. Twin is the closest town to the I-15/I-84 junction of any size big enough to not attract attention.
I agree these sex trafficking rings do tend to stay closer to major roads, but as was emphasized in the P.R. article yesterday, ads are placed in advance of a ring of sex workers, often abducted or tricked into joining; arriving in an area. If there is enough "interest" then the ring will travel to any area that has people willing to pay money for sex, often with a minor. Idaho law enforcement is just starting this discussion.

To reiterate, there is no proof the higher than expected gonorrhea cases in NID are due to sex trafficking. The local health department doesn't know. However, I think we all would be wiser to remember the sex trafficking rings do exist and even in Idaho.

MSR

Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
I wonder if the Spokane area is oozing with gonorrhea and it is spilling over the border into North Idaho?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I wonder if the Spokane area is oozing with gonorrhea and it is spilling over the border into North Idaho?
Ew!!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Syringaloid,

I had difficulty finding information for Spokane and 2015. However, this article may help.....Rates of STDS increased in 2014 for both Spokane and NID. However, the article does separate gonorrhea cases from other STDs.e Perhaps NID is being infected by Spokane residents or visitors.

This article is about all STDS for Spokane and NID, not just gonorrhea, as my original article. However, one does not have to read far to see gonorrhea cases increased 300% increase in 2013. Numbers of cases from NID in 2012 were 15 increasing to 42 gonorrhea cases in 2013. That would be the 300% mentioned.

I strongly disagree this is newspaper sensationalism trying to sell newspapers. The epidemiologist makes that clear.

Sexually transmitted disease cases skyrocketing in Spokane, North Idaho - Spokesman Mobile - July 11, 2014

We know from different news articles, sex rings were found in Idaho. My understanding is Boise successfully prosecuted four people for human trafficking. I don't have any information to know if Spokane officers, or NID officers would recognize the pimps in these sex trafficking rings.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-05-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 01:11 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
MSR, if it will make everyone feel better. We out here, never heard of the untreated gonorrhea, in and around NID.
Of Course we never get a lot of news out here, unless it is really big news. It is getting better, but we didn't here this one from NID.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho