Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 03:07 PM

235 posts, read 375,613 times

Advertisements

So, hey, I want to hear what everyone is growing this year and how their gardens are doing. Every year I start several varieties of tomatoes and peppers. This year I used Botanical Interests seeds and my plants were terrible. I ended up supplementing with store-bought plants. I planted outside June 6th which is very late for us, but it kept raining and raining and raining. The peppers that I did transplant are literally just a few inches tall. I will never use those seeds again. The tomato plants (Black Krim, Gardener's Delight (a cherry), Roma, Better Boy, San Marzano, are going to be MASSIVE. They are loaded with fruit and I will be canning my hiney off here in a few weeks. I do a Mexican sauce and an Italian sauce.

I started broccoli from seed and last year was fantastic, but this year, I lost half my plants due to inattention to our irrigation system and have reseeded, but probably don't have enough time left in the season. Last years heads were about twice the size of my hands. I froze a ton. Oh, also the slugs are devouring the leaves. Rotten little critters.

My carrots, which were also BI seeds, did absolutely nothing. Not a single carrot. Half my green been seeds didn't come up, so I reseeded and only a couple of those came up. I swear, I follow instructions, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'll be going back to Burpee seeds next year. I picked my first bunch of green beans to have with our salmon tonight.

But the most fun thing to do is that we planted asparagus. I got a package of eight root thingies (forget the proper term). The pack said to dig a 20" deep trench and then as the plant grows, to fill in the trench. Five came up and then finally a few weeks later the rest did too. So I have these trenches that I am slowly filling in with dirt. I think you have to wait a few years to harvest. Need to check the package again. This has been really entertaining. They look like tiny, frilly pine trees. Tickles me.

This morning I also put four jars in the freezer of fresh home-made pesto. My basil is outstanding! Every year I have had huge slug issues, but I read on the internet (which, of course, you can believe!) that slugs hate copper. Hubby had some copper wire left over from a job and so we made coils and spread them out (think bed springs) and then the basil grows up in the center. Yep, slugs hate copper because I have the most awesome basil this year.

I also grew garlic for the first time ever. Planted last September and harvested just a week ago. I got 16 heads, 8 look just like from the store and 8 are a wee small, but I am just pleased. I have them on a wire hangar in the root cellar "curing" for a few weeks.

So, 'nuff about me. What is everyone else doing? Who has fruit? I have no fruit. What are you all doing with your crops? Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Thank you for the report. Been a busy year for you. Congratulations on your crops coming in!
Scott

Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 AM

235 posts, read 375,613 times
Thanks, Scott. I may have been a bit early in posting as Colorado is probably earlier than Idaho. What do you grow in Hawaii? I have never been there, but I bet you have a wonderful growing season. I can't recall the time of year we harvested when I lived in Lewiston, ID, in the 80's, and when my parents moved to Deary, ID, I seem to recall brisk mornings, which tells me September.

Oh, for future reference, I'll try not to compost cantelope seeds as I have cantelope plants in my tomato beds, my pepper beds and just generally coming up around wherever I shoveled in compost.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM

66 posts, read 146,043 times
Is there a good source for mail order seeds that any of you would recommend? As I am relatively new to Idaho, I am not sure which varieties are best suited to the state.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I haven't planted a garden for a few years, but I followed my aunt, who is a whacking good gardener, and just use Burpee seeds. That's all she has ever used.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:38 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabel View Post
Is there a good source for mail order seeds that any of you would recommend? As I am relatively new to Idaho, I am not sure which varieties are best suited to the state.
Earthly Delights in Boise.

Earthly Delights Farm | A Vegephile's Dream. Boise, ID

Seeds! | Earthly Delights Farm

and the Snake River Seed Cooperative.

seeds boise | cooperative, boise | common wealth seed library, boise

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Thanks for the referral of the Snake River Seed Cooperative!

I didn't know that existed, and I just tore out a big bunch of old garden gone to weeds. Re-planting with natives is really an exiting idea for me.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 AM

212 posts, read 308,972 times
I use High Mowing Organics. All of their seeds are certified organic. A lot of conventional seeds are treated with chemical fungicides so it's best to go organic.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 AM

Thanks to all for the seed suggestions. Here at our Ketchum Library we also have a seed exchange where people pack up their local seeds and leave them for someone else. All that was available was Colorado arugula, which I planted and am now harvesting. Things seems to grow faster here than in California. Must be the long days and the summer rains. We had a wonderful storm on Monday, and there was also hail. I can hardly wait for the snow, but perhaps many of you don't feel that way!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:24 AM

I just ran across another seed source that specializes in cool climate seeds. The website is Ed Hume Seeds Garden Site, and the seeds are also sold in many retail stores in Idaho. The website also has lots of gardening information for cold climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho