Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 AM

50 posts, read 94,252 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I did a search and didn't find anything really recent about Driggs. Some threads from 5-6 years ago.

My family has the opportunity to possibly move there next year for a job opportunity in Alta, WY. Can you tell me about the Driggs area?

My wife and I both don't mind wide open spaces. We were both raised in the suburbs of the east coast, but we've traveled west a lot. We're in DC right now.

It seems like Driggs might compare a little with my uncle who lives in Mariposa, CA...very small town, a bit isolated, but really close to Yosemite National Park. Driggs also seems small, beautiful, but close to Jackson and a short trek to Idaho Falls.

Is it affordable for a family of 4 where I would be the only wage earner at about $60-70k? There seemed to be a good number of 4 BR nice houses in the $200ks and $300ks.

Tell me about the winters. I've lived in WI, where it was pretty cold and snowy and I didn't mind it. -39 degrees wasn't bad at all with the right layering of clothes. How is traveling to Jackson in the winter?

We are intrigued about the possibility of small town living in the great outdoors, with a fairly large city nearby and Jackson very close.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,730 times
Yes, it would be affordable on that salary. It's starting to grow and increase in cost because of its proximity to the Tetons and Jackson, but I think $70k will still get you by fine.

Bring intrigued about living in a small town quite removed from any metropolitan areas of significance is a far cry from the reality. Be VERY sure what you're getting you and your family into, especially coming from DC and the east coast in general. Small town life is very different and challenging in many ways; some people are made for it, and some are not.

I don't know how you prepare for it other than giving it a go, but just really consider some of the things you take for granted living in a bigger city that you won't have in a small town.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:52 AM

50 posts, read 94,252 times
Thanks for the info.

Yes, we are pretty sure we'd love it. I spent my whole upbringing visiting my uncle in rural/mountainous CA. They had one grocery store, one McDonalds, and one Rite Aid. That was the whole town. We'd spend a week to 2 weeks per year there. I loved it. I loved the outdoor activities, the natural beauty, and the close proximity to the national park. From the pictures I've seen, we'd love Driggs, too. We don't need much. And we can drive to Idaho Falls once per month to hit any big box stores.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:53 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,730 times
Cool. Driggs is pretty neat, actually. I prefer the area to Jackson.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Winters are very snowy in Driggs, because it's quite high in elevation. Typically, Driggs gets snow at least a month earlier than the Snake River valley, and the snow lingers for another month when the valley is in full bloom. Jackson is lower than Driggs.

It's very spectacularly beautiful there, for sure. If you were to live there, you would probably do more shopping in Rexburg than Idaho Falls, as Rexburg is the closest town of any size. Driggs is the largest of several really small towns that lie along the foothills of the Tetons; Victor is slightly closer to Jackson and Idaho Falls, but lacks some of the amenities of Driggs, and Tetonia is the smallest and closest to Rexburg by a few miles. While I don't know how the real estate prices are, I would expect a house in Victor or Tetonia would be cheaper, as Driggs is very close to the Grand Targhee ski resort and has become a little Jackson Hole (or Ketchum) over the years. The others have not become as popular.

Like Vandal, I like Driggs much more than Jackson. Jackson Hole is too crowded and far too upscale for me anymore. And while Jackson is very close to some incredible scenery, very little of it can actually be seen from town. Not so with Driggs- all one has to do is to look up there. The west side of the Tetons is the best side when it comes to viewscape.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 PM

347 posts, read 282,405 times
I'm not too familiar with real estate prices between the three towns in the Teton Valley area, but you should be able to make it just fine on your salary. Winters can be harsh, but with your experience in WI you should be pretty well prepared. They try and keep the Teton Pass open as much as possible during the winters as a significant portion of the residents in Victor & Driggs work over the hill in Jackson Hole. It can take some getting used to, but the drive isn't too bad, especially if you're careful.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
Hello all,

I did a search and didn't find anything really recent about Driggs. Some threads from 5-6 years ago.

My family has the opportunity to possibly move there next year for a job opportunity in Alta, WY. Can you tell me about the Driggs area?

My wife and I both don't mind wide open spaces. We were both raised in the suburbs of the east coast, but we've traveled west a lot. We're in DC right now.

It seems like Driggs might compare a little with my uncle who lives in Mariposa, CA...very small town, a bit isolated, but really close to Yosemite National Park. Driggs also seems small, beautiful, but close to Jackson and a short trek to Idaho Falls.

Is it affordable for a family of 4 where I would be the only wage earner at about $60-70k? There seemed to be a good number of 4 BR nice houses in the $200ks and $300ks.

Tell me about the winters. I've lived in WI, where it was pretty cold and snowy and I didn't mind it. -39 degrees wasn't bad at all with the right layering of clothes. How is traveling to Jackson in the winter?

We are intrigued about the possibility of small town living in the great outdoors, with a fairly large city nearby and Jackson very close.

Thanks.
Hi tetontodd,

There is a fair amount posted about Driggs in the Idaho Falls sub-forum. What did you learn from those posts?

Plan a visit for a few days. There is a lot I like about Driggs. It doesn't get as cold as WI and that -39. Roads can be dangerous, but common sense plays a huge role. Idaho Falls is home to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. There are always E.R. and other physicians who have lived in Jackson Hole. Currently, I think there are about five or six physicians who practice in Idaho Falls and live in WY. Both WY and ID work hard to keep that pass open in bad weather.

Here's a link to road webcams. You can look at those close to Driggs.See road conditions in eastern Idaho, western Wyo. | Weather - Home

This is one of my favorite webcams.

TetonCam

Let us know when you plan to visit

MSR

Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM

138 posts, read 266,235 times
I lived in Alta in 2012-2013. We mostly loved it, but had to move (not by choice, as our rental was going to be sold). I can tell you one thing, housing prices are skyrocketing in Teton Valley. Rentals are almost non-existent, especially if you have a few pets, like myself! Just in the last few yrs, they have risen significantly. I really worry about future development, but so far it's still been fairly minimal.

As far as real estate prices... generally, your most expensive (in descending order) will probably be Alta, Victor, Driggs, Tetonia.

As a weather forecaster I can give you a good idea of the weather. (I used to write a blog/forecast for the Teton Valley News), Teton Valley has some pretty extreme weather by most people's standards. It gets pretty cold in winter, and they average about 65" of snow a year. I didn't mind any of that (and I doubt you will either if you've lived in Wisconsin), but what bugged me was the wind... it pretty much always blows. Of course, in Alta we had open fields for miles, so if you get something a little protected, it won't be as bad. The rest of the year is nice, and it rarely get's above 90. Humidity is low... and did I mention the wind blows?

The community is small, but has all the basics (decent grocery store) as well as a handful of good restaurants and a small hospital. It's about 45 drive to Jackson (except in winter when it can be slower in the snow), and 90 Min to Idaho Falls, where you have Walmart's, etc... Costco is 3 hrs way in Pocatello. (I'm currently trying out Whitefish, Montana... but so far it's just a little too busy for me up here in the Flathead Valley... so we might be back to Teton Valley in a year or two.) Anyway, this might be the biggest challenge for many is the isolation. The nearest "BIG" city is Salt Lake, which is a good 5 hours south.

While I'm not an expert on the area, feel free to ask any more questions and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

TC

Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,560 times
Hi TT:

My husband and I are moving to Driggs in one month from a rural-ish/resort-ish area of CO. We agonized over the decision...I don't post often on websites, but hopefully my input can be helpful for you (thus, less agonizing). What can I tell you about Driggs? Well, it is tiny. We are attracted to the area because of the vast swaths of wilderness, immediate access to skiing, rivers and trails and lack of crowds. My guess is that one may find the area lacking if they are not outdoors enthusiasts (which, perhaps you are and then you will be thrilled) because I'm not sure what else you would do there. For example, my family from the east coast will be bored to tears after the mandatory visit to Grand Teton/Yellowstone and Jackson when they come visit. It is a different lifestyle. There are a few restaurants, a pub, an awesome grocery (closed Sundays) and a few shops. There are a few breweries and a few more restaurants in Victor. Live music every week in Victor during the summer months. The number of times we have been there, Driggs seems deserted by the evening though. That's okay for us, since we concentrate on spending time and energy outdoors - but it is something to think about.

It is affordable, which is becoming a rarity in the western mountain region. Be prepared to purchase a house though, as rentals seem to be non-existent. Housing prices are on the rise. There does seem to be somewhat of an LDS influence in the area. I've been told that the elementary schools are good, but that the system becomes less satisfactory as children move up into middle and high school. I believe part of this is due to clashes amongst various groups and lack of funding.

You asked about winter - winter will be cold and snowy. What you may not be aware of is mud season, and the fact that "spring" is a really difficult time of year to live in an alpine environment. This may not happen every season, but ask yourself how you will feel about grilling in May in the middle of a snow squall. It is a reality. Summers are warm and beautiful, but that doesn't happen sometimes until mid-June or later. Luckily, we work remotely so we can get out of town during mud season. Otherwise, it is very trying (even for winter enthusiasts!) and can be disheartening to shovel out your drive while those living in less harsh climates are warming up and donning short sleeves. Some seasons, winter will seem to last from October to June.

Well, I hope this information is helpful! For us, we are thinking that Driggs will fit the bill. We are used to alpine environments and our main concern is outdoor recreation. For others, they would never want to live in such a tiny town. I will be happy to share my experiences - best of luck!

Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Fanatic View Post
Hi TT:

My husband and I are moving to Driggs in one month from a rural-ish/resort-ish area of CO. We agonized over the decision...I don't post often on websites, but hopefully my input can be helpful for you (thus, less agonizing). What can I tell you about Driggs? Well, it is tiny. We are attracted to the area because of the vast swaths of wilderness, immediate access to skiing, rivers and trails and lack of crowds. My guess is that one may find the area lacking if they are not outdoors enthusiasts (which, perhaps you are and then you will be thrilled) because I'm not sure what else you would do there. For example, my family from the east coast will be bored to tears after the mandatory visit to Grand Teton/Yellowstone and Jackson when they come visit. It is a different lifestyle. There are a few restaurants, a pub, an awesome grocery (closed Sundays) and a few shops. There are a few breweries and a few more restaurants in Victor. Live music every week in Victor during the summer months. The number of times we have been there, Driggs seems deserted by the evening though. That's okay for us, since we concentrate on spending time and energy outdoors - but it is something to think about.

It is affordable, which is becoming a rarity in the western mountain region. Be prepared to purchase a house though, as rentals seem to be non-existent. Housing prices are on the rise. There does seem to be somewhat of an LDS influence in the area. I've been told that the elementary schools are good, but that the system becomes less satisfactory as children move up into middle and high school. I believe part of this is due to clashes amongst various groups and lack of funding.

You asked about winter - winter will be cold and snowy. What you may not be aware of is mud season, and the fact that "spring" is a really difficult time of year to live in an alpine environment. This may not happen every season, but ask yourself how you will feel about grilling in May in the middle of a snow squall. It is a reality. Summers are warm and beautiful, but that doesn't happen sometimes until mid-June or later. Luckily, we work remotely so we can get out of town during mud season. Otherwise, it is very trying (even for winter enthusiasts!) and can be disheartening to shovel out your drive while those living in less harsh climates are warming up and donning short sleeves. Some seasons, winter will seem to last from October to June.

Well, I hope this information is helpful! For us, we are thinking that Driggs will fit the bill. We are used to alpine environments and our main concern is outdoor recreation. For others, they would never want to live in such a tiny town. I will be happy to share my experiences - best of luck!
Hi Mountain Fanatic,

Welcome to the ID forum.

Please join us in the Idaho Falls forum. It will be great having someone in Driggs. Let us know if you have any questions before or after your move. I agree with you 100% some would find Driggs lacking if they aren't outdoor enthusiasts. That is why people live there.

I hope your move goes smoothly and safely

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho