Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM

25 posts, read 25,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabel View Post
For those of you who are building, I was wondering what your estimated building costs per square foot are? I can't seem to get a straight answer from people in the industry here. I am looking at parcels that already have utilities to the site.
I'm actually flying up tonight to meet with a couple of builders for the first time tomorrow. Once the ball starts rolling I'll fill you in on how the process is going, cost-wise.

For us, we just set an overall budget to work with. Trying to figure it out on a per square foot basis is just too difficult...and I'm an estimator.

Buying a parcel with utilities already stubbed out is the way we went. This way, we can just put all of our focus into building the structure itself and not have to worry about drilling, permits, cost of bringing whichever utility to the site, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:01 PM

271 posts, read 390,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiosElAye View Post
I'm actually flying up tonight to meet with a couple of builders for the first time tomorrow. Once the ball starts rolling I'll fill you in on how the process is going, cost-wise.

For us, we just set an overall budget to work with. Trying to figure it out on a per square foot basis is just too difficult...and I'm an estimator.

Buying a parcel with utilities already stubbed out is the way we went. This way, we can just put all of our focus into building the structure itself and not have to worry about drilling, permits, cost of bringing whichever utility to the site, etc.
Just curious..what builders are you meeting with? I'll give my 2 cents if I've heard of them as I have done quite a bit of research of the subject.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:

CFF, I can't thank you enough for your response!

Our preliminary plan is start in July next year, and have it finished up before the weather turns cold. I had never considered just camping out on the site to see how it holds up to different kind of weather though. Great idea! I'm going to write down your suggestions to see/witness for myself, as well as pick the brains of the existing neighbors.

Just a little inside info - We bought in a subdivision with all utilities already stubbed out and drain field placement already approved, so we're pretty much covered in those areas. Luckily, both builders we're considering have each built a house on our little street, and we'll be the third and final. Luckily, again, permits and such shouldn't be a problem with their prior knowledge and experience.

It's funny you bring up clearing trees and brush, because that's honestly something I've been telling my wife that I'm really looking forward to. Believe it or not, I do use my fireplace down here in LA during the winter, so swinging an ax is a favorite chore of mine. Actually, when we first moved into our house my neighbors would peer over the wall in amazement because I chopped my own wood! I think it's time to ask Santa for a sweet chainsaw for Christmas this year though....

Oh, btw, I'm an underground utility estimator, so if you ever need any advice please ask. I owe ya anyway!
Sorry I didn't respond--I lost track of your post! You're welcome, and thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it. I'll be meeting with contractors in a few weeks, time to do the plumbing and electrical. Next spring, after the thaw, we'll do the septic.

We had a thread recently about tractors, for clearing brush and other fun stuff. You may want to check that out.

And I just realized that you flew in last night! Best of luck with the builders. And you'll get to breathe real air! Enjoy!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
Just curious..what builders are you meeting with? I'll give my 2 cents if I've heard of them as I have done quite a bit of research of the subject.
Sorry, today's the first chance I've had to hop on here.

So, I met with Monarch, Aspen, and Rosenberger. All I can say is that Aspen is out for various reasons.

I appreciate your input, thank you!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Sorry I didn't respond--I lost track of your post! You're welcome, and thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it. I'll be meeting with contractors in a few weeks, time to do the plumbing and electrical. Next spring, after the thaw, we'll do the septic.

We had a thread recently about tractors, for clearing brush and other fun stuff. You may want to check that out.

And I just realized that you flew in last night! Best of luck with the builders. And you'll get to breathe real air! Enjoy!
No worries. I haven't been on in almost a week myself.

Yes, please do. I'd love to help!

You know, when I left I was fighting off a cold, and by the second day I was in CDA I was feeling back to normal. I came home two days later and now I feel crappy again.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry, today's the first chance I've had to hop on here.

So, I met with Monarch, Aspen, and Rosenberger. All I can say is that Aspen is out for various reasons.

I appreciate your input, thank you!
Check out Creekside CDA.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,886 times
Quote:
Check out Creekside CDA.
I would avoid Creekside. Monarch just did some work for us and it was great. Rosenberger builds some fantastic homes.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I would avoid Creekside. Monarch just did some work for us and it was great. Rosenberger builds some fantastic homes.
Hmmm, curious as to why no Creekside. We didn't go with them but they have been in the area for 25 yrs., have an A+ BBB rating, and seemed reasonable, plus have gotten good reviews it seemed.

Monarch and Rosenberger seemed pricey and too high end for us.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Monarch just did some work for us and it was great. Rosenberger.
Another happy customer! This is the only kind of feedback I've heard since I started this whole process well over a year ago. I'm really impressed with the business model Joel and Shawn have put together.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, curious as to why no Creekside. We didn't go with them but they have been in the area for 25 yrs., have an A+ BBB rating, and seemed reasonable, plus have gotten good reviews it seemed.

Monarch and Rosenberger seemed pricey and too high end for us.
I didn't look into Creekside too much after reading some of their client's reviews. We drove by a few of their builds and the work looks really nice I have to say.

As you probably know, Monarch is a much more hands on and smaller operation, plus he uses an actual architect along with some incredibly skilled subs which are going send the prices up. We watched them install the master bathroom's mirrors and light fixtures - really superb work!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: