Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:40 AM

14 posts, read 88,969 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Just was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difference in codes between CDA Idaho building codes and Worley Building codes. I know they are in the same county but I cant seem to find if they have the same Building codes? My plan is to live in my airstream trailer as I build my home but it may take a few years. I'm planning on doing the entire property OFF GRID so I wont be hooking to grid at all. The locals I've talked to say that they don't see why that would be a problem. The land is in a very wooded area and out of the way. Anyone had experience with this or have any advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM

please HELP! Anything helps!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM

199 posts, read 315,978 times
Would help you if I could, just to let you know it may take a while for someone to respond that is familiar with the area, does not seem that there are people on this forum all the time.....work, personal business and such, just be patient.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
I'd suggest you call the City of Worley and ask them. I don't know that we have anyone here who understands much about Worley's zoning ordinances and how they are/are not enforced.

Dave

Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygorge View Post
please HELP! Anything helps!
Hi Teddy,

Remember that a lot of us aren't actually in front of our home computer during the day. You'll probably get more responses after work hours.

Glad you're making progress since your RV questions in May.

Remember that Worley is on the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation, and that alone may mean that other codes apply. I agree with Dave, call Worley City Office. Here they are:
City of Worley

Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 PM

294 posts, read 544,434 times
You will be in Kootenai County. The current code is 2012 IRC. 90 mph wind load, seismic zone C. Snow load will vary from lot to lot. You will not be able to live in any part of it until it is complete (certificate of occupancy). A better way would be to built it to completion as a small house and do additions as you see fit. The planing department has been a bit slow lately so permits are taking about 2 to 3 months. Living in a rv on site will have more to do with HOA rules of the area than anything. Some subdivisions don't allow it. Chances are good that you would be alright in Worley. OFF Grid is probably not going to happen unless you are prepared to throw some SERIOUS money at the project. I hope this all helps.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
You will be in Kootenai County. The current code is 2012 IRC. 90 mph wind load, seismic zone C. Snow load will vary from lot to lot. You will not be able to live in any part of it until it is complete (certificate of occupancy). A better way would be to built it to completion as a small house and do additions as you see fit. The planing department has been a bit slow lately so permits are taking about 2 to 3 months. Living in a rv on site will have more to do with HOA rules of the area than anything. Some subdivisions don't allow it. Chances are good that you would be alright in Worley. OFF Grid is probably not going to happen unless you are prepared to throw some SERIOUS money at the project. I hope this all helps.
Thank you all so much! I called and kootenai county is who we are dealing with. Looks like we will be fine for the most part. They said we would have to abide by international building codes and set backs. Javatom, I was curious why you'd say off grid wouldn't happen?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 AM

Off grid would imply that you are getting no outside source for your heat and lights. The county will not approve a plan for a house that has no heat. In fact, you have to submit a rather elaborate set of forms (manual J, heat loss calcs, duct size calcs, etc). That would leave you with using a generator 24/7. Solar is not a realistic option.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
Off grid would imply that you are getting no outside source for your heat and lights. The county will not approve a plan for a house that has no heat. In fact, you have to submit a rather elaborate set of forms (manual J, heat loss calcs, duct size calcs, etc). That would leave you with using a generator 24/7. Solar is not a realistic option.
From what I have found out through calling the local officials is quite the opposite. I think It might be because the restrictions vary from lot to lot and where the land is located. I was told by the person with kootenai county that off grid, in my location is popular and they would allow for wood stove and solar panels as well as composting toilet. Interesting for sure. Thank you for your help! I will ask them about the "manual J" though. See if something like that will apply to us.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:16 PM

Wood stove = firewood = $200/chord give or take a little. You can always cut your own but you will need some equipment and something to haul it. It's an expensive way to heat a house. Solar panel are not an option in north idaho. There is not enough sun for it to make sense in the winter months. kootenai county may have said a composting toilet was ok but they are not the ones that approve ANY system, so you got bad info there. You will have to talk to panhandle health to get the real answer. One other note about wood stoves. They allow them but I don't think it can be your only heat source. If you are still wanting to spend all the extra money to be off grid, I would suggest adding a backup generator that kicks on automatically and powers electric heat. That may get you through the requirements. If you are in an area that propane will deliver, that could be a good fuel source for the generator.

Bye the way. I'm not guessing at any of this. I submit dozens of building applications each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho