Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Do You Make Working in Idaho?
Under $35,000 per year 3 17.65%
$35,001-$40,000 per year 4 23.53%
$40,001 - $50,000 per year 1 5.88%
$50,001 - $75,000 per year 2 11.76%
$75,001 - $100,000 per year 3 17.65%
Over $100,000 per year 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times

Advertisements

Does the OP want household or individual income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 AM

332 posts, read 483,156 times
Really trying to understand the scientific benefit of this poll. One simply has to go to the plethora of sources on the internet to find this exact information, using much more statistically accurate data.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Idaho.html

American FactFinder - Results

EDIT: Now I understand, the OP is specifically looking to use financial and economic success as a measure of someone's credibility on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Should help people get an idea of where their advice is coming from.
In that case, it truly is none of anyone's business. The measure of someone's wealth is not a measure of their worth.

Last edited by aiden_is; 04-23-2016 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Really trying to understand the scientific benefit of this poll. One simply has to go to the plethora of sources on the internet to find this exact information, using much more statistically accurate data.

EDIT: Now I understand, the OP is specifically looking to use financial and economic success as a measure of someone's credibility on the forum.

In that case, it truly is none of anyone's business. The measure of someone's wealth is not a measure of their worth.
Or their smarts, either. I know some very smart people who are indifferent to money. Some spend it freely, while others just hang onto it without having the need to spend much.

Money doesn't buy happiness is only partly true. Having sufficient income is the thing, but what 'sufficient' means for one person may not match another's definition of the word. I know folks who make relatively low incomes, but have a lot of savings in the bank because they have little need to spend on what could be considered to be frivolities.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-23-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Or their smarts, either. I know some very smart people who are indifferent to money. Some spend it freely, while others just hang onto it without having the need to spend much.

Money doesn't buy happiness is only partly true. Having sufficient income is the thing, but what 'sufficient' means for one person may not match another's definition of the word. I know folks who make relatively low incomes, but have a lot of savings in the bank because they have little need to spend on what could be considered to be frivolities.
Quite true. How someone manages their resources (money, property, time, skills...), combined with how they manage their relationships (marriage, children, friends...), helps me determine how much weight to put behind their opinions.

But I have no idea how to create a poll like that. Some things have to be done in person, face to face, no matter how hard we want to anonymize ourselves behind our technology.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Quite true. How someone manages their resources (money, property, time, skills...), combined with how they manage their relationships (marriage, children, friends...), helps me determine how much weight to put behind their opinions.

But I have no idea how to create a poll like that. Some things have to be done in person, face to face, no matter how hard we want to anonymize ourselves behind our technology.
I think its impossible to create such a poll.
"Value" is far too subjective to ever put a poll on it.

Just an example:
Some people live for their toys. A 'toy' is, by common definition, a thing that brings excitement, pleasure, and a sense of satisfaction, but it isn't needed for daily life.

Toyman loves his ATVs. He doesn't need one to survive and prosper in his daily life, but he loves the adventures they provide for him and the opportunity to see new places. Maybe they're an escape from the routine drudgeries of every day life as well.

I have ridden them, looking for lost cows. I don't need to look for adventure- finding a lost cow is all the adventure I need, and my excitement comes from finding the cow, not the journey I took to find her.
For me, the ATV was just a tool that made the search a little faster. I could have found her on foot by following her tracks; I followed them on the ATV.
An old beater ATV would serve my purpose fine and dandy.

Toyman likes to buy a new ATV once in a while. I think spending 5 figures on an ATV is crazy. He thinks the same ATV is a bargain, because it has a lot of nice things ATV recreationalists would want to have on one. Things that make his adventures even more pleasurable.

Some other rider, looking at the fancy ATV will say "That's a beauty. Sure wish I had one."

Now, on any given day, I could spot a particularly fine banjo and drop 5 figures on it.
Most folks here would say "You paid that much for a BANJO?"

At that kind of money, the banjo would be exactly like a hand-made, gold plated, ivory handled, engraved, one-of-a-kind pistol. The pistol would function perfectly and would be very accurate. (I only compare it to a pistol because most folks would assume such a pistol is very, very expensive. Anything could be a comparison.)

Yup. Sure did! It's handmade, gold-plated, engraved, carved heel, genuine pearl tuner knobs, and made from old rare wood. One-of-a-kind.
It has beautiful tone and action, and I'm going to play the dickens out of it, but take very excellent care of it.
For my pleasure and satisfaction.

Some other banjo player will say "That's a beauty. Sure wish I had one."

If I'm asked to play with a symphony, wearing a tux and black tie, I'll be playing the fancy one. It's really pretty and does a wonderful job.

If Toyman is asked to make a video on how to ride an ATV, he'll use his fancy one. It's really pretty and does a wonderful job.

How's a person every going to quantify any of that stuff?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Quote:

Except the poll is anonymous, so no one will be able to tell who voted for what. Furthermore, it's an online poll... people can lie.

Maybe rather than continuously beefing with me, you can ignore the topic if you don't like it. If Sage were around, he'd likely remind you that's the TOS.

By the by, I've had a number of DMs, and a few responses in this thread, thanking me for starting it and suggesting it was valuable enough for them.

Just a thought...

Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Well, of course it's no one's business; that's why the poll is private.

It is of significance to people looking to move here, however, in my opinion.
It's of absolutely zero significance since you don't specify the job. The results will tell someone absolutely nothing about how much they might make at their particular career. The people messaging you thanking you for this poll clearly have no idea what they're looking at.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe rather than continuously beefing with me, you can ignore the topic if you don't like it. If Sage were around, he'd likely remind you that's the TOS.
I fail to see how anything I've posted here is violating the TOS. If someone disagrees with a post they have a right to express the disagreement. In this case, I presented scientifically based sources for finding much more useful information about income levels in Idaho. Waving the TOS micro-aggression flag does not stop the discourse.

Quote:
By the by, I've had a number of DMs, and a few responses in this thread, thanking me for starting it and suggesting it was valuable enough for them.
This of course is not verifiable, nor are the results in this poll, as you have admitted that it has no basis in fact...

Quote:
Furthermore, it's an online poll... people can lie.
So again, what exactly is the purpose here, other than to attempt to attribute a subjective metric to the validity of the posters in this forum?

Old 04-24-2016, 02:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
Now, children, stop picking at one another.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 AM

Maybe the poll is a broad brush, but maybe a broad brush is better than no brush at all.

We Idahoans understand the gaps and the details and all, but possibly, as more contribute to the poll over time, it may serve as a first step for folks looking Idaho over, as a caution or an encouragement. At the worst, I don't think any will be harmed by it, or given a wrong first impression.

When I first joined C-D, I was all full of boosterism, and it took me some time to realize that giving newcomers a more realistic view of Idaho, with mentioning a few bads along with a few goods, was better by far, at least for me.

I sure didn't want anyone committing to a move here for any wrong reasons I may have made by being only a booster. I've had my own bitter experience with leaping before looking long enough in my own past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: