Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 26,849 times

Advertisements

Hi - My husband and I are relocating to Bonners Ferry from Boise within the next six months and I have been researching like crazy. It seems like an ideal place to live, beautiful country, tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, reasonable cost of living, remote and isolated, low crime, etc.

Everything about this place seems just perfect, with a couple of concerns which may be unfounded, which is why I came to this forum - who better to hear it from but the horse's mouth.

Anyway, in reading the relocation guide by the Chamber of Commerce, it "describes it [the community] as very conservative,supportive of faith-oriented activities." I consider myself a progressive with some libertarian leanings and I am also nonreligious. As a disclaimer, I am not all about forcing my ideas and opinions on others and my life does not revolve around these two areas, sort of "I believe what I want, you believe what you want" philosophy.

How accepting is the community of those who don't fit in the "very conservative, faith oriented" box? Are there community events and activities that are not faith based?

Thanks so much for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Check out these old threads--lots of good info. There's much more on Bonners if you do a forum search.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...erry-lots.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...ers-ferry.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...-any-info.html

I was looking at properties in and around Bonners in 2008. Overall I felt that the ambiance was the same as elsewhere in NID, very much "live and let live," but I also heard there was a strong presence of various religious groups. A very popular (and interesting) antique store is operated by Mennonites, if I remember correctly. I was advised to simply ask around in local markets about how people feel about the neighborhood in general, so I did. I'd say that the "faith-oriented activities" would apply to these specific groups, not across the board. But that was merely my impression from a few years back. I know that members have weighed in with more detailed knowledge in the threads listed above.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM

148 posts, read 501,477 times
Royals11, the Mennonite (sp?) have a large presence north of bonners, though they do own many business in and around town. they are not overwhelming by any means. i've noticed a large 7th day crowd in all of NID. they seem a little more pushy, but i know thats part of their religion. if you are a progressive, as you state, you will be fine as long as you tolerate the christian residents. i am under the belief you belive what you want and i believe what i want, though i do wish a conversion of all non believers. don't be offended when you see faith based groups at the local grocery and other areas trying to raise funds. if in doubt whether you would fit in, maybe bonners wouldn't be the place for you. if you come north bring a job with you as the job market in our area is very bleak. i'd be happy to anwser any more questions you may have.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM

148 posts, read 501,477 times
royals11, forgot to answer your ? about community activities. there are some but most are put on by churches.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals11 View Post
Anyway, in reading the relocation guide by the Chamber of Commerce, it "describes it [the community] as very conservative,supportive of faith-oriented activities." I consider myself a progressive with some libertarian leanings and I am also nonreligious. As a disclaimer, I am not all about forcing my ideas and opinions on others and my life does not revolve around these two areas, sort of "I believe what I want, you believe what you want" philosophy.

How accepting is the community of those who don't fit in the "very conservative, faith oriented" box? Are there community events and activities that are not faith based?

Thanks so much for any feedback!
BF is about the most conservative corner of Idaho you can find. So while there is a general Libertarian leaning in much of North Idaho, if by nonreligious progressive you mean libertarian leaning Obama-supporting democrat you just need to be aware you'll be in a pretty unpopular social minority. People in North Idaho are plenty accepting, but most folks I know in BF are awfully conservative and churchgoing...but then again, this is just my personal anecdotal experience.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
if by nonreligious progressive you mean libertarian leaning Obama-supporting democrat you just need to be aware you'll be in a pretty unpopular social minority.
This gave me a chuckle. . . yes, I generally vote Democrat, but have also supported Independents and some Republicans. I don't just vote along party lines, but for the candidate that best represents what I want in an elected official. My entire family is an ultraconservative ranching family, so am well used to navigating that slippery slope. I am not going to be running down main street wearing an Obama Rocks tee shirt. ;-)

The "live and let live" philosophy that I have seen several times in posts about BF is reassuring. Previous experience is probably driving my concern, as I was born and raised in a very small town in NE Nevada and it was very cliquey and everyone was in everyone else's business all the time.

By and large, it sounds like a great place to live.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. Reading the other threads and the info in this one has been very helpful!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 AM

28 posts, read 29,869 times
I think you would be better off in Moscow, Idaho. Bonners is very insular and religious. You need to be a part of Church to fit into the community. If you want to just stay to yourself, I guess you don't care what others think of you and will be fine in Bonners.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the insight - I do need people and am very involved in the community down here and would like to translate that to wherever we go, so again thank you for answering my questions.

Is it possible to commute to Bonners Ferry for work from other towns in the area, like Sandpoint? It may seem like a silly question, but I know a 30 minute commute in the summer may be 2 hours in the winter, and Google maps doesn't give any idea of how the roads are year round.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
You will NOT want to commute to/from BF/Sandpoint. It would be unbearable in the winter. I mean, you can do it if you have no other choice and it's commute-or-starve. But you certainly wouldn't want to get into that routine on purpose...

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

32 posts, read 52,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmyzee View Post
I think you would be better off in Moscow, Idaho. Bonners is very insular and religious. You need to be a part of Church to fit into the community. If you want to just stay to yourself, I guess you don't care what others think of you and will be fine in Bonners.
This posting is old, do others feel you need to be part of a church to be accepted in Bonners Ferry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho