Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times

Advertisements

No, we are not looking to move to Idaho. We are confirmed Puget Sounders. But, we spent 3 weeks driving around your beautiful state exploring the small towns, ghost towns, Rockhounding, gold panning, photographing and camping. We came in from NE Washington, explored Priest Lake area, then over to Sandpoint, Bonner's Ferry, a bit of Montana, Salmon River area, Challis and Stanley then home across Oregon then north along the coast.

People were really friendly and helpful. We were Rockhounding south of Challis on BLM land when a rancher gal came up on her ORV and told us about some other areas nearby. We found some cool rocks and a neat little Canyon. We mostly encountered ranchers, loggers and hunters who told us some interesting places to explore.

Hopefully, we can return again to see what else IDAHO has to offer. Our favorite area was highway 28 south of Salmon, then the Big Lost River Valley and the area south of Challis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 05:28 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,287 times
I came from the Salmon area before moving to NID and I love the drive around Rt 28 and 93 South to the Mackay Reservoir just past Mt Borah very cool geological area with the earthquake that happened there and actually elevated the mountains higher there is still physical evidence of that event, also take 28 further south past Gilmore and there are some old kilns near Birch Creek. Glad you enjoyed our state. https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.id0...tos?st=gallery

Last edited by jadbad2004; 10-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As part of our planning for our Solar Eclipse trip next year I am "flying" the State with Google Earth. One of the first things I explored was the Sumter Valley with its steam train and stranded mining dredge. Amazing example of long term environmental damage. Check it out. it is just SW of Baker City.

Sorry. Wrong place to post. Sumter Valley and Baker city are in Oregon.

I am also "flying" Idaho.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
I came from the Salmon area before moving to NID and I love the drive around Rt 28 and 93 South to the Mackay Reservoir just past Mt Borah very cool geological area with the earthquake that happened there and actually elevated the mountains higher there is still physical evidence of that event, also take 28 further south past Gilmore and there are some old kilns near Birch Creek. Glad you enjoyed our state. https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.id0...tos?st=gallery
Yup. Another killer great drive!

That one is hard to stay on the main road without taking little side trips. There's so much cool stuff to see it's almost impossible to avoid them, even when a person is really pressed for time.

What is so great about drives like this is they never get old. I have driven some of them a hundred times or more, but the last one was just as good as the first or the 35th. Familiarity only makes me love them the more.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Another killer great drive!

That one is hard to stay on the main road without taking little side trips. There's so much cool stuff to see it's almost impossible to avoid them, even when a person is really pressed for time.

What is so great about drives like this is they never get old. I have driven some of them a hundred times or more, but the last one was just as good as the first or the 35th. Familiarity only makes me love them the more.
I never get tired of it, there was still some places we didn't get to yet we plan on it if we could stop being side tracked by other sites.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:28 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Yes, I believe we will revisit Idaho again, especially the Salmon-Challis area north and south, east and west 25 -50 mile radius. I would like to really explore the Parsimeroi area not only due to the scenery but of that cool name. We especially enjoyed the lack of traffic.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Yes, I believe we will revisit Idaho again, especially the Salmon-Challis area north and south, east and west 25 -50 mile radius. I would like to really explore the Parsimeroi area not only due to the scenery but of that cool name. We especially enjoyed the lack of traffic.
Pahsimeroi Valley is pretty awesome, you can drive for miles and not see much but Lost River mountains, if you drive past May, Idaho there is a warm natural hot springs with tropical fish in it, for real lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho