Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:14 PM

128 posts, read 327,235 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Looking to move to Idaho soon. We have been all over the state but never long enough to experience all the weather in various areas.

What cities/areas have the warmest weather year round and least amount of snow?

(Yes, I'm from California!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
It probably would be just west of Boise, like Payette. Boise to Twin Falls is typically a few degree cooler but still part of the warmest broad region (hence the biggest concentration of people and agriculture), with much of the rest of the state considerably cooler and snowier. For absolute warmest it might be Riggins or maybe a low spot near Nevada border but few live at either. If you want warmest and least snow, mostly look close to Boise.

If you can adjust your comfort zone / tolerance level then maybe look at CDA or Pocatello. The adjustment in these spots is more about snow than temperature but there is a notable difference in both, especially to those sensitive about them. I almost forgot Lewiston which is kinda similar in climate to Boise.

To learn details and compare cities this site is pretty convenient
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmid.html

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-28-2016 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It probably would be just west of Boise, like Payette. Boise to Twin Falls is typically a few degree cooler but still part of the warmest broad region (hence the biggest concentration of people and agriculture), with much of the rest of the state considerably cooler and snowier. For absolute warmest it might be Riggins or maybe a low spot near Nevada border but few live at either. If you want warmest and least snow, mostly look close to Boise.

If you can adjust your comfort zone / tolerance level then maybe look at CDA or Pocatello. The adjustment in these spots is more about snow than temperature but there is a notable difference in both, especially to those sensitive about them. I almost forgot Lewiston which is kinda similar in climate to Boise.

To learn details and compare cities this site is pretty convenient
Idaho Climate Summaries
Yup.
I think Weiser is the warmest town in the state. Any time I was hot in Boise, I was hotter in Weiser, and i've sweated plenty from one end of this state to the other. Even Lewiston at sea level doesn't get hotter than Weiser in mid-summer.

But there's a greater question to be asked here...

Why are you looking at Idaho, RMP500, if you want to move to a warm state?

Idaho is NOT a warm state. January in Weiser is still all kinds of cold, and our kind of cold isn't found in California, at least not where lots of people live. Overcoats are not a fashion accessory in this state, even in mid-July.

If warm is a really big deal, I suggest looking eastward to find it if you have already ruled out the obvious places in the west.

If you can't stand the cold, there are better places for you than here. But if you think you can, then come up and look us over. Most who end up moving here think the trade-off is well worth the price of an overcoat and cold feet once in a while.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Warmest in winter--wouldn't that be Lewiston? We've had a ton of threads about that, stink and all . Pretty warm in summer, too, I can at least weigh in on that!

Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Lewiston has warmer winters than the Treasure Valley, and it gets less snow.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM

318 posts, read 436,400 times
I vote for Lewiston.
The secret to get away from the smell is to live up hill...in a community called The Orchards. But you still have to shop.
The mill is the biggest employer, as is the Port of Lewiston.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:49 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
West Treasure Valley always seems a few degrees hotter than Boise.. Lewiston is a tiny town, better weather or not, it is a lot harder of a place to make a living. I lived in Pullman for a couple years and know that area can get pretty brutal in the winters depending on the year. Lewiston is more mild than Pullman/Moscow, but still can be frosty.

The Treasure Valley hardly got any snow this winter. I find the Treasure Valley winters warmer than in the Western Cascades due to it being so dry, even if it is a few degrees colder.. But you will needs loads of chap stick.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:25 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I'll echo others. Lewiston is the warmest, and rarely gets snow. Usually 5-8 degrees warmer than Pullman/Moscow. With a population of about 40k, it also good sized for Idaho.

As I type this it is 50 in Lew., 45 in Moscow.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I'll echo others. Lewiston is the warmest, and rarely gets snow. Usually 5-8 degrees warmer than Pullman/Moscow. With a population of about 40k, it also good sized for Idaho.

As I type this it is 50 in Lew., 45 in Moscow.
And 52 in Boise

Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
61 on my deck today in Idaho Falls.

That's just not right for this time in October. It makes me worry when the ground hasn't frozen some by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho