Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 09:41 AM

25 posts, read 28,348 times

Advertisements

So what’s plumbing like in CDA my husband and i have a plumbing business, a one man operation here in Cali
His customers love him and always busy with repair work. He is from Germany so knows about freezing pipes. Just wonder if we could make it there starting a plumbing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:12 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
I can't speak to the CDA area, but further north around Sandpoint it always seems to me that there are not enough options in the skilled trades - plumbers, electricians, etc.

We had an issue with dropping water pressure last year, and when I called one of the larger plumbing companies in town they told me it would be about 3 weeks until they could get to our place. We did end up finding a guy who get get out in a day or two, but it took a few calls to find him.

A few months later we were in the middle of a kitchen remodel, and the kitchen contractor was using that first plumbing company for the sink and dishwasher installation. I related my story about the 3 week lead time to the plumber who was doing the work and he confirmed that even for emergency situations they are usually booking appointments 2-3 weeks out.

Dave

Old 07-27-2018, 10:18 AM

820 posts, read 1,739,915 times
There are not enough skilled tradesmen, period. He would do very well if he came here. I went through 3 plumbers during my remodel and ended up youtubing and doing it myself because noone would show up or be on time.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM

Good know thanks

Old 07-31-2018, 11:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Good trades people always do well here as word gets around.

Many on the outside looking in want that big guaranteed minimum wage or salary from their previous city. No chance. But the trades guys I know are all busy and do well.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Good trades people always do well here as word gets around.

Many on the outside looking in want that big guaranteed minimum wage or salary from their previous city. No chance. But the trades guys I know are all busy and do well.
Well definitely wouldn’t want minimum wage, working for your self making a lot more with 20 years experience minimum wage would be horrible

Old 08-02-2018, 02:29 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
whoops. I was typing before I had my coffee!!scratch "minimum."

I recall a conversation I had with a young man, mid 20s, from Western Washington. He really wanted to get on with either SP police or fire dept but was put off by the lower salary vs. way the bigger city of Seattle. I think there is a tendency for many to think their experience-based salary will simply translate to over to the North Idaho economy. It does not. He should expect a drop in pay commensurate with the area. I think that would be for any trade.

What he can also expect is that if his skills and worth ethic are excellent, he will have no problem getting his business up and running. Once his name gets around and his schedule fills, then the salary can start rising again.

But we are all creatures of habit and tend to go with the local guy we know and trust.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: