Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
One of the main reasons I love this place. Just enough variability to keep things interesting.
After ten years in Arizona I absolutely craved variability in weather. I really, really missed the drama of changing seasons. Of course it changed seasons in the desert, it’s just far more subtle. I grew up back east and wanted real winter, real fall and spring and not a blast furnace for summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:38 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,165,924 times
I was just in C'da for that little heat wave. Unfortunately, where we were had no A/C and it was actually 95 in the house at one point. A single box fan for the house is all there was. One thing I never noticed before is how few ceiling fans there are. We were visiting many friends/family in the area and stayed in 4 different places over two weeks and I think only one house had a ceiling fan anywhere in the house. I get not wanting the expense of installing central A/C for such a short hot season, but ceiling fans would sure have made a big difference, especially in the bedrooms where the air was just hot and still at night. Is this just the places we stayed or is this true for your homes too?

We had central air and fans in every room when we lived there. No wonder we sold in one day LOL.

We had a fabulous time, by the way. It had been a couple of years since my last trip and it was fun to see the area through a visitor's eyes. I can completely see why people decide to move based on the tiny snapshot a visit provides

Old 08-14-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I was just in C'da for that little heat wave. Unfortunately, where we were had no A/C and it was actually 95 in the house at one point. A single box fan for the house is all there was. One thing I never noticed before is how few ceiling fans there are. We were visiting many friends/family in the area and stayed in 4 different places over two weeks and I think only one house had a ceiling fan anywhere in the house. I get not wanting the expense of installing central A/C for such a short hot season, but ceiling fans would sure have made a big difference, especially in the bedrooms where the air was just hot and still at night. Is this just the places we stayed or is this true for your homes too?

We had central air and fans in every room when we lived there. No wonder we sold in one day LOL.

We had a fabulous time, by the way. It had been a couple of years since my last trip and it was fun to see the area through a visitor's eyes. I can completely see why people decide to move based on the tiny snapshot a visit provides
The cabin we built on the river had ceiling fans. No AC because we were off grid.
Our house here on Lake CDA has central air and no ceiling fans and bizarrely, our house in Spokane had no ceiling fans and no AC when we bought it. It has high vaulted ceilings and huge windows which make it get hot in summer. We put AC in as soon as we bought it.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Our cabin has a ceiling fan in the bedroom, because the room is small. Both our builder and the electrician thought it was an odd choice, but one of these years it will surely come in handy! Our great room plans included a ceiling fan, but we decided against it, and as it turns out, the room is always cool even on hot days if we keep the windows closed after 1 pm-ish.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Our cabin has a ceiling fan in the bedroom, because the room is small. Both our builder and the electrician thought it was an odd choice, but one of these years it will surely come in handy! Our great room plans included a ceiling fan, but we decided against it, and as it turns out, the room is always cool even on hot days if we keep the windows closed after 1 pm-ish.
You were smart to put that ceiling fan in a small bedroom I think. Mine doesn’t have one and it feels stuffy sometimes even with AC. I finally put a tower fan in and it’s much better. Till we get a ceiling fan.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:39 PM

69 posts, read 69,845 times
Greatest purchase for our cabin has been a mini split! Ductless AC in the summer and energy efficient heating in the winter. Cools the house down in the summer afternoons. In the winter no need to fed the wood stove in the middle of the night, the mini split provides warmth in the morning and we just have to rake the coals and start up the wood stove at our leisure.
We are considering installation of a mini split unit for our shop!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker6 View Post
Greatest purchase for our cabin has been a mini split! Ductless AC in the summer and energy efficient heating in the winter. Cools the house down in the summer afternoons. In the winter no need to fed the wood stove in the middle of the night, the mini split provides warmth in the morning and we just have to rake the coals and start up the wood stove at our leisure.
We are considering installation of a mini split unit for our shop!
They are pretty great. We put one in the lower level of our house in Anacortes. It was built into a hillside and we had a problem with dank humidity down there where all the guest rooms were. The mini split warmed and dried it perfectly.
Considering one in the lower level of our Spokane house too. The ducting isn’t great inthe house and the bedrooms and family room down there are freezing in summer and too warm in winter.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
We have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms, plus one in the living room which is open all the way to the ridge of the house.

The ceiling fans in the bedrooms are nice for sleeping. The fan in the living room is nice in warmer weather, but we also run it all winter long to push heat down from the ceiling. Without that we'd be running the stove for a long time before we felt much heat on the main floor.

Our final refuge on really hot days is the basement, which sits at a pretty constant 60-61 degrees all summer long even though it's fully above ground at one corner of the house. We haven't done it yet, but there have been a few nights when we've talked about sleeping down there.

No AC in our house since it's a log home with radiant floor heating, so there are no air ducts. I know the guy who built the house, and he has told me about the challenges he had finding room in the interior walls just to run plumbing and electrical. Theoretically we could install a split, but it wouldn't be in keeping with the style of the home.

Dave

Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
We have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms, plus one in the living room which is open all the way to the ridge of the house.

The ceiling fans in the bedrooms are nice for sleeping. The fan in the living room is nice in warmer weather, but we also run it all winter long to push heat down from the ceiling. Without that we'd be running the stove for a long time before we felt much heat on the main floor.

Our final refuge on really hot days is the basement, which sits at a pretty constant 60-61 degrees all summer long even though it's fully above ground at one corner of the house. We haven't done it yet, but there have been a few nights when we've talked about sleeping down there.

No AC in our house since it's a log home with radiant floor heating, so there are no air ducts. I know the guy who built the house, and he has told me about the challenges he had finding room in the interior walls just to run plumbing and electrical. Theoretically we could install a split, but it wouldn't be in keeping with the style of the home.

Dave
That’s the worst part of a mini split. They’re ugly and easily seen.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:27 PM

783 posts, read 843,095 times
Do swamp coolers work in Idaho? We use them a lot here in Nevada.

We have had a cool summer here in Northern Nevada, but I have central A/C that we never use and a swamp cooler that we use in the afternoons...is it too humid to use them there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: