Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 08:45 PM

19 posts, read 23,335 times

Advertisements

Farther SOUTH? On the map, it doesn’t look like there are any mountains South of Boise? Spectacular stuff? I’m not a “plains” person, I’m looking for mountains, forests, trees, wildlife... I know Idaho has a lot of National Forests that are beautiful, I’m looking for a different kind of rugged beauty. Maybe it’s in Wyoming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondForBeauty View Post
Farther SOUTH? On the map, it doesn’t look like there are any mountains South of Boise? Spectacular stuff? I’m not a “plains” person, I’m looking for mountains, forests, trees, wildlife... I know Idaho has a lot of National Forests that are beautiful, I’m looking for a different kind of rugged beauty. Maybe it’s in Wyoming...
You can look at a map or you can come and actually look at the country.

One will lie to you and the other won't.

Either way, you won't see anything unless you get over your thoughts that only the panhandle has the mountains and the south is only plains.

What do you see in the Great Divide over in Montana? Do you think the western slope of the Divide is a lot different that the eastern slope?

Take that as a hint.

Here's another. The south end of the state is higher than the north end.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:51 PM

Came across this -

“The mountains in idaho are every bit as grand as colorado, the reason why most people come to this conclusion is because unlike colorado, much of idaho's wilderness and mountain areas are unaccessible by means of infrastructure. If you actually go off the highways and for many miles up DIRT roads you will see what exactly is out there...Colorado is much more commercialized than idaho is atleast their mountains, so you can take a nice two lane highway up into their mountains to see it all...no so much in idaho... the highways in idaho follow the lowest and least rugged area's possible.. and the vast center of the state is filled with jagged sawtooth mountains that rise 11-12k feet high.. and there isn't a sagebrush in sight...its actually extremely alpine.. more so than much of colorado I'd say.. because of closer proximity to the northwest weather patterns...”. - boiseguy.

That is interesting and explains a lot. A person just doesn’t see it from the highway like I’m used to in Colorado. Thank you for pointing it out banjomike. It will be worth another look for me. The research involved in trying to find the right place to live is... whew, time consuming.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:06 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
Came across this -

“The mountains in idaho are every bit as grand as colorado, the reason why most people come to this conclusion is because unlike colorado, much of idaho's wilderness and mountain areas are unaccessible by means of infrastructure. If you actually go off the highways and for many miles up DIRT roads you will see what exactly is out there...Colorado is much more commercialized than idaho is atleast their mountains, so you can take a nice two lane highway up into their mountains to see it all...no so much in idaho... the highways in idaho follow the lowest and least rugged area's possible.. and the vast center of the state is filled with jagged sawtooth mountains that rise 11-12k feet high.. and there isn't a sagebrush in sight...its actually extremely alpine.. more so than much of colorado I'd say.. because of closer proximity to the northwest weather patterns...”. - boiseguy.

That is interesting and explains a lot. A person just doesn’t see it from the highway like I’m used to in Colorado. Thank you for pointing it out banjomike. It will be worth another look for me. The research involved in trying to find the right place to live is... whew, time consuming.
That's absolutely right, Vagabond. All the really big stuff, the real spectacular, is simply hard to find here. The maps never show enough of our remoteness to ever make it the proper consideration such things need.

One thing to remember is how small the panhandle is relative to the size of the southern 1/3 of the state. There's much more territory to cover down here than up there if you want to see it all, and it will demand some time.

The thing about Idaho is she's always deceiving to the folks who don't know her. The good stuff is always just over the hill, or around the bend, and it's very seldom in plain sight.

We have it all here too. I've always loved the Arco Desert as a place to go explore and adventure in, but no map or anything ever mentions that it isn't a desert. It's a high steppe with huge lava flows that are full of ice caves, hidden springs, and lots of cool stuff. You can't see any of it from any roadway; you'll have to go walk it to see it.

That's the way it is with a lot of things here.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times
Quote:
Well, I took a road trip this past week and am back to square one. I drove South through ID and checked out properties around Grangeville, Riggins, Elk City, Kamiah, Orofino, then over to St. Marie’s, Wallace, Avery.. I didn’t find what I was looking for. Clearly growing up in Colorado and spending every spare moment in the Rocky Mountains has shaped my preferences. Now, having spent the last 10 years in Montana my standards are high. I’m still in search of rugged, mountainous beauty that is remote, not touristy. Although, something I’ve learned in all my travels, if a place is worthy it’s going to be touristy. I’m going to keep looking, just wondering now if I’m in the right State.
I am struggling to figure out exactly what you are looking for OP. Elk City is certainly 'way out there' and by itself. What did you not like about it? Too deep in a valley, with restricted views? Too much valley pasture in the area? Too much of an old logging town? Are you looking for high elevation, long range views? And when you say 'touristy', do you mean there are vacation cabins around?

Are you wanting more Colorado-like high and dry mountains, or more of an Alpine forest-like area? Just trying to get a better grip on what you want.....

This place makes me think maybe this is what you want.... 40-50 miles from the nearest paved road.... 1-2 miles to the nearest neighbor. 7000' elevation a dry bowl... kinda looks Colorado-ish. In the high mountains between Sun Valley and Macall. Not sure how much the airstrip gets used in summer. If it was not out of consideration for my wife, I might have bought this already....
https://hallhall.com/property-for-sa...91Y00001wJFWu/

Old 11-29-2019, 11:12 PM

The reason you are struggling to figure out exactly what I’m looking for, is because I don’t fully know yet myself. It’s all in development in my head and heart. I’ll know it when I see it? I want to be surrounded by peaks with a general elevation of 11 -13,000 ft. and to be in the woods. Trees, wildlife, acres of State land as my back yard. That property you linked would have been perfect if the cabin(s) was in a forest. Elk City had beauty but, yes, too deep in a valley and also the elevation- not enough peaks and long range views. When I say touristy I mean when I’m out hiking I want to be surprised if I bump into another hiker. I wish I could be more descriptive but I’m struggling to be clearer because that’s all my criteria. Just high peaks, wilderness, and wildlife.. S t i l l looking and searching.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Roger.... well when you are looking for that special place, the idea of "I'll know it when I see it" becomes the operative phrase! So well understood.... we are the same way.

I bet this place is closer to what you want....well, maybe not the price tag! This is on the western side of a remote valley known as the Pahsimeroi Valley, over east of Mackay.
https://hallhall.com/property-for-sa...91Y000023nSmD/

If this is more like what you want, please say so. I can dig around a bit more and over in WY. I have been looking for a similar place, and have been 'working' the region for 3 years now..... looking for long range views of high mountains, and not in a too-dry locale.... more of a mixed high pasture and alpine forest area.

BTW, when you say access, do you mean year-round access via car/SUV, or maybe via 4WD truck? Or would you settle for winter access via snowmobile or snowcat? If you want is year-round via car/SUV, then it's unlikely you won't have at least a few neighbors. If you are OK with some snow-machine travel in winter, then more and more remoteness is possible.

Are you familiar with the Stanley ID region?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 AM

Oh the manifold details involved when actively contemplating where to spend your life, your time, your days... Three years of working the region is dedicated. I am soooo eager to get going, get settled down to living, it’s a hard process to be patient through! Woodswoman said it perfectly, “I always wanted more from nature and of nature. Books and maps tell me there are places untouched by human tinkering and habitation, places where wildlife roam unmolested and foot trails wind for miles without encountering a person or building...” Thanks for understanding my know-it-when-I-see-it, feel it in my bones gauge system.

I prefer winter access by 4WD. I drive a Tundra so I’m capable- it’s just for emergency reasons if I have an accident. Access via snow machine wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I found the right property. I tend to be super cautious in the back country, knowing the risk I carry being alone. I have a friend that has lived up in Polebridge since the 70’s and a few winters ago he was winterizing his greenhouse when he fell through the roof onto a raised flower bed. Luckily his son was with him that day but emergency services couldn’t get to him because of the snow. His son had to drag him out on a game sled and drive him down the North Fork barely conscious. He lived, and was fortunate to eventually recover because he had broken his back.

So, that property you linked was beautiful. The ONLY one thing I didn’t like about it was the price, haha. Now you’ve got me looking on their site, this one (below) is pretty perfect too. Might need to take a drive and a look see.. I’m not familiar with the Stanley region of ID but will check it out- now that Banjo has set me straight on which end of ID is higher. Seriously, thank you (and everyone!) for sharing your thoughts. I know you can appreciate the process and possibly point me in the right direction since our criteria are similar!

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sa...91Y00001wJBUy/

Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Good deal, Vagabond. Glad to hear you are aware of and thinking of emergencies, and being cautious. Thinking and planning for such eventualities is important for remote living IMHO. I'd also suggest either a ham radio license and radio with a known, long term reliable operating repeater withing range, or a satellite phone, for just such times as you can't get yourself out of a jam.

IMHO, snow is going to perhaps be your biggest challenge.... 4WD's can and will get stuck, snowmobiles will get upset, etc. I'd be personally looking at a snowcat, but that is more maintenance and expense than many can swing. 2nd would be a Skandic snowmobile or similar, with it's towing capabilities and a 4 stroke engine. If you do not know, a long track is a key parameter for over-snow-travel... hit that fine powder that settles in a draw beneath a copse of trees and you'll start sinking to China with a short track machine.

Funny you show that property... I looked at it online about a year ago with the idea of building. Great minds think alike LOL. That is not too far from you now, not too far off of MT83 heading down towards Seeley Lake. (My wife and I found a house we loved on 20 ac near Seeley Lake but wanted less forest and a bit more open-ness, and we like more year-round sun than that region gets.) That property would sure seem to have the wildlife that you seek. I wondered about mosquitoes off the ponds and swampy ground. But at least that one spot shown in the pix has rising ground for get away from any bogginess. There are some higher, forested 20 ac lots up on the side of a mountain near Seeley Lake that offer more open views, but lake life in summer only 5 miles away is touristy.

The Stanley ID valley that runs south towards Smiley Creek and also NW has the breathtaking Sawtooth mountains on the west side. There is limited property available, much of it in clusters, and in summer it does get busy with hikers. Here is the least expensive large plot that I know of there... you would want to build at the very back due to wetlands limitations. And it is probably too open for your likes.

https://www.awayoutwest.com/default....age=1&sortby=2

And I ran across this while looking for the above land... this will really qualify you as 'mountain woman'! Winter access might be too hard for anyone though; definitely only via over-snow machine. So probably not right for all-year-round living anyone but of the most extreme hardihood. And the views are no high elevation. But look and say if this appeals.... i.e., if it 'is what you like when you see it'.

https://www.awayoutwest.com/default....age=1&sortby=2

Other areas that may be worth discussing/exploring IMHO:
- Some areas in the southern end of the Big Horns in WY, in the northern end of Johnson County WY
- The valley of Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone, well north of Cody up along the Chief Joseph highway (WY 296)
- Some remoter homes NE of Cooke City MT
- Some of the areas west of Dubois WY
- Maybe even the Hoback Ranch area in northern Sublette County WY
- Perhaps some of the remoter areas around Island Park ID

All the above are:

- in some variety of tall mountains
- at elevations of 7000-8000+ feet which encourages snow to support growth of forests and high pasture
- by, in, or near wilderness and NF/BLM land
- 1 hour or more remote from any town of consequence. All (but the Big Horns area) are clustered a in the region around Yellowstone, the Absarokas, the Tetons, the Wind River range, and the Beartooths.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
That sort of property is available in Eastern Oregon, but if you are buying enough property to keep the neighbors back away from you and enough property to support wildlife, you are talking about a lot of money.

Privacy has become a luxury and privacy with spectacular views is now priced for those who can afford the best of luxuries. It's no longer available for us common folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho