Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 PM

42 posts, read 145,326 times

Advertisements

I've thought for years about the possibility of turning one of my hobbies into income when I retire, and I'm curious about whether the local populations of Coeur d'Alene and/or Sandpoint have enough disposible income to make it a possibility. Let me state here that I don't mean to be insulting to anyone... it's just that I keep reading about how the local job market does not pay very well and it raised the question to me.
Anyway... as to the question... if someone were to open a business producing strip-built canoes and kayaks, do you think there would be a market for them? They require a considerable time to produce and would have to sell in the $3000-$4000 range, but I'm hoping they would be considered works of art as much as usable boats.
I don't think I'd be producing more than 8-10 a year so sales wouldn't have to be huge. I'm guessing that some of the people moving to Northern Idaho to retire might have the money, but not too many of the local working folks would want to spend that much for a boat... what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,597 times
My band teacher from high school does that now, and yes, they are beautiful boats and command quite a price.

I would say you can probably sell them, but it's really not worth the money. Many people who want to make money from a hobby want to maximize the time they spend doing the hobby and minimize the sales aspect. Unfortunately, it will take a lot of sales work to sell your boats. You'll probably attend a number of art fairs and spend the day at booths with your goods waiting for the right person to come along to buy one, or to pound the pavement to get your boats in the galleries and stores. Most people say the sales part is not the fun aspect of making boats as a retirement gig.

With that said, there is plenty of money in CDA to sell boats. Lots of people who can afford boats live there. I can't say if they will buy boats, I just know they can afford to if they want to.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Boats like that get damaged way to easily for an active paddler, give me a cheap poly boat anytime ! If I paid that kind of money for a boat I'd be afraid to use it ! People with boats like that don't go down rivers in the north Idaho area without having to do repairs after each trip. I love boats like that but they aren't very practical except on lakes or to show off as a status symbol. I think you would have no problem selling them though !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho