Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 PM

202 posts, read 187,335 times

Advertisements

OP: We plan to look at Hendersonville in the next months soon as things open up more. Determined Asheville proper is too bohemian, crazy for our tastes

AS for CDA - we booked at trip for mid-August. Realizing the winters are harsh, we are only going with the plan to be snowbirds if we choose CDA (3 months a year in AZ or NV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
The OP lives in NC, so I assume they are familiar with Hendersonville.

They did know Lake Lure when I asked if that was a consideration for them, particularly since they don't want the harsher winters we have here. I've been to Lake Lure a few times. My parents spent their honeymoon there, and we've had a few family vacations at the same resort where they stayed. Lake Lure is nice, but honestly doesn't really compare to the lakes in North Idaho!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 AM

Question - Did CDA experience any of the protests or rioting that other cities dealt with recently?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:47 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
If you are unable to make it up to your cabin, since I'm in Spirit Lake, I can drive over to CF and take photos of your place and send them to you if you want.

Thanks a million, OAR! What a generous offer. I'll send you a DM. Good to see you in the ID forum again. We still hope to make it up to our cabin this summer, but with the increasing virus numbers all over the west we're just stuck in a waiting position.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Question - Did CDA experience any of the protests or rioting that other cities dealt with recently?
There have been a few peaceful protests, both in CDA, and a smaller number in Sandpoint. Mostly people holding signs, chanting, some marching.

There had been rumors that organizers planned to come from Spokane, where there was some mayhem, to instigate in CDA. In response, there were a good number of visibly armed individuals who were present in both towns. They were very clear that they had two objectives: First, to protect the rights of the protestors to exercise their first amendment rights peacefully, and second to ensure no instigators were allowed to cause things to get out of hand.

I do know for a fact that an individual wearing a full face skull mask got out of his car in CDA holding a crowbar, and one of these armed citizens confiscated the crowbar and suggested he leave immediately, which he did. Beyond that, there are rumors on both sides regarding whether there was ever any real risk of outside instigators. Sheriff's in both counties expressed appreciation - both are what's commonly called "constitutional Sheriffs." As far as I know police leadership have not expressed an opinion publicly.

Dave

Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
One of my tenants is a police officer. He was called in on his day off. The police were there in force.

He told me that there were more armed citizens than protesters. The trouble makers took one look, got back into their cars and left.

Everything was peaceful. The protesters stayed for several hours. The counter protesters, carrying signs that read "please don't harm CDA" were peaceful. The armed citizens stood back peacefully and watched.

Just across the border in Spokane, there has been looting, vandalism, burning. Some of their armed citizens showed up to protect the stores from looters and the store owners complained about them to the police. It was on the evening news.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
The 14 day self-quarantine requirement for out of state visitors to Montana was lifted on June 1, so I think you should be good to visit MT. Along those lines, there has been a fair amount of news about Glacier NP opening up for the season, and I know of some Idahoans who have been there in recent weeks.

I did just hear an announcement this morning that the ban on non-essential border crossings to/from Canada has been extended for another month, to sometime in mid-late July (sorry, I forgot the exact date), so I don't think you'll be able to visit Canada just yet.

Dave
I thoroughly enjoyed my time up there, and hated to leave. Weather & scenery were beautiful. I was actually thinking about making the drive to Glacier, but decided against it because a good part of the scenic road is closed ... not because of COVID 19, but because of snow plowing. I might return later in the summer and stay somewhere closer to Glacier because I really want to go there.

Otherwise, the Ross Creek Cedars & Kootenai Falls were amazing. The natural attractions are what I went there for, and everybody I met was friendly & accommodating. I needed the vacation, mostly to get away from the craziness for a while. The only bad part was: I couldn't have stayed longer!

Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM

I have to admit that we are seriously rethinking Asheville NC forour short list in favor of a place like CDA takes the approach they (the citizens it sounds like) did. We believe strongly in peaceful protests, and even more strongly in the peace part. No tolerance for rioting, looting, statue desecration or Antifa.

Quote:
There have been a few peaceful protests, both in CDA, and a smaller number in Sandpoint. Mostly people holding signs, chanting, some marching.

There had been rumors that organizers planned to come from Spokane, where there was some mayhem, to instigate in CDA. In response, there were a good number of visibly armed individuals who were present in both towns. They were very clear that they had two objectives: First, to protect the rights of the protestors to exercise their first amendment rights peacefully, and second to ensure no instigators were allowed to cause things to get out of hand.

I do know for a fact that an individual wearing a full face skull mask got out of his car in CDA holding a crowbar, and one of these armed citizens confiscated the crowbar and suggested he leave immediately, which he did. Beyond that, there are rumors on both sides regarding whether there was ever any real risk of outside instigators. Sheriff's in both counties expressed appreciation - both are what's commonly called "constitutional Sheriffs." As far as I know police leadership have not expressed an opinion publicly.

Dave

Old 06-28-2020, 08:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
I have to admit that we are seriously rethinking Asheville NC forour short list in favor of a place like CDA takes the approach they (the citizens it sounds like) did. We believe strongly in peaceful protests, and even more strongly in the peace part. No tolerance for rioting, looting, statue desecration or Antifa.
I believe protests change with the times they're in.
Protesting is an activity that has lots of different forms, and most are civil and peaceful.

Some are very common; small groups of citizens will frequently form to go to a city council meeting to protest a new development plan the oppose or something similar, and while those groups can be rude or loud sometimes, they're almost never violent. They happen all the time here (and everywhere, I think).

Taking a demonstration to the streets is much less common than it once was in Idaho. I remember many more street demonstrations in the 70s than there are now, and some of those in Boise were extremely large, but none were violent.

But 120 years ago, around 1900, in NID, Idaho saw some of the most extreme violence in the west during a general miner's strike in the Silver District.

It became a shooting war between striking miners and the mine owner's private armies, and a train was highjacked in Burke, where the strikers used it to collect more men up and down the short line to go to the fight.

One mine's mill was blown up and demolished after a 4-day fight, and Federal troops were called in to quell the violence. Miners caught on the streets of Wallace, C d'A, Kellogg and other towns in the district were rounded up wholesale by the troopers and imprisioned in an outdoor stockade, where some perished when the weather turned cold. One man died of exposure handcuffed to a light post.

The fury didn't abate after the riots ended. 3 years later, former Gov. Stunenberg, the Governor during the riots and had lost re-election afterwards, was assassinated by a bomb planted underneath a fence's gate at his home in Caldwell, over 400 miles south of the Silver District.

He was killed by a paid assassin, who was captured, tried, and spent the next 62 years in the State Prison.
The affair was the first to be called The Crime of the Century, and drew international attention.

But that time period was a very violent one for over a decade in much of the intermountain West. There were similar riots and fights in Montana, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, where there was also a range war that occurred. While the worst was in Idaho, there was plenty to go around.

The 1930s were similarly violent, but not here. And there was a previous spate of rioting and violence in Idaho in the mid 1880s that was centered in the Boise mining district.

In the 1960s, there were protest leaders, especially Martin Luther King, who espoused non-violent protest. King's influence on violent demonstrations was immense. If he had not been around then as a powerful leader, who can say how the massive protests of the 1960s would have turned out?

It was only after he was killed that some of the street protests of that era turned violent shortly afterward in the early 70s.

So I think it's impossible trying to predict where civil protest will turn violent anywhere or at any particular time.
Protest is an ingrained part of American life, and happens all the time anywhere there's an issue that has strong emotions come from it. Peaceful protest is a relative term, as fist fights can break out in a protest confrontation that don't turn the entire demonstration violent.

Or, depending on the mood of the times, a few blows that are exchanged can trigger a riot. It can happen in a tiny village or a big city.

But there has been one enduring change over the 20th century. Rioting never lasts as long as it once did. The riots of the 1800s could go on for days to weeks, and could spread to large regional rioting all over a state.

That doesn't happen so much now. Riots ever since the end of WWII have only lasted a few days at most. And these days, rioting doesn't become as widespread as it once did.
At the same time, peaceful protest and street demonstrations are now far larger and more frequent than those of the past. And they appear to be longer-lasting than in the recent past, when a big street demonstration commonly lasted for only a day or two.

I certainly wouldn't consider any of this pro or con if I was planning to move anywhere.

I think we all come to sense the mood of the times we iive in.
If personal safety was a great concern of mine, and I was planning on moving, I think if the times were dark and emotional, I would probably just put the move off for a while and stay put until I sensed the national mood had changed.

The times always change quickly after a period of high national protest.

To me, it's like an earthquake; the pressure builds up, the earth cracks and trembles, the smoke rises, and then everything settles back down for a long time to come afterward.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:

Dave
That's how to do it.
People protect their town, place of business to keep those outsiders out.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That's how to do it.
People protect their town, place of business to keep those outsiders out.
I caught the snark, so I know you weren't serious.

But for a fact, almost all troublemakers in demonstrations are home-grown.
Outsiders are always the ones who catch the blame for being agitators.

I think that's part of our tribal human nature at work.

A funny comedy could be written about rioters who take a bus to get to a riot out here that takes so long to arrive the riot is over and forgotten about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho