Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 36,054 times

Advertisements

I looking into moving to Boise or CDA/Spokane area. My situation is this I am allowed to live pretty much anywhere due my job. The main things I am looking for a great mountain views, trees, 4 seasons, snow and decent housing market. Am I asking for too much? I don't have children and am not married yet(not even close so a place with lots a women would be great LOL).Also checking out parts of CO, WY, and MT. I will heading out that way to visit them after my next rotation is done. Looking for down to earth conservative friendlly people that don't look crosseyed at you when you wave to them even though you dont know them.Any suggestions and input would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,502 times
Spokane sounds like it fits what you are looking for. Cheaper housing, more of a dating scene, people are a little more down to earth than in N. Idaho.
It is not as scenic, but the mountains and lakes are just across the border. I am looking for conservative friendly people as well and have found it in the midwest. Most people will look at you odd here when you wave. Used to be common, but not anymore. It is also becoming more liberal by the day, just check out the local newspapers. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 36,054 times
Default Spokane

I was thinking CDA, since its close to Spokane and has better views. I drove through years ago and really liked it. The crime in Spokane is higher than I thought seems from the research meth is a problem, but then again crack is problem where I live. Since I don't know anyone I would have to find a roommate willing to watch my dog while I am work(gone 20 days home for 10) I refuse to board the dog that long.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
The property crime rate in Spokane is through the roof. Higher than Los Angeles in auto theft in 2006, IIRC. Tweakers are stealing anything not bolted down...

North Idaho has a slightly skewed crime rate, since there are some redneck knuckleheads, but a small population. So for example, here in the Sandpoint area we had a guy steal some scotch from the state-run liquor store, and then threaten the employees who tried to stop him. He then brandished a firearm and when the Bonner County deputies gave chase, he opened fire and was killed by our deputies. Now, this is a WEIRD isolated incident. It will count as a robbery AND a felony assault with a firearm on law enforcement. However, with only 40K people in our whole county, it pushes up our average crime rate for the whole year. We had a murder last year (love triangle gone wrong sort of thing) and that skewed our murder rate. So the stats here belie the actually quality of life living here, since these sort of isolated incidents push up our "average" crime rate, but really are NOT the type of thing that a local resident will face with ANY regularity.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,361 times
I think you will like the CDA area much better than Boise by the preferences you outlined. CDA has the tree's, lakes, rivers, etc. Boise is pretty, but it cant hold a candle to further north for scenery. CDA and Spokane have plenty of nice young women in college too;-)

Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times
Maybe even Moscow?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
Moscow (with WSU in Pullman just 8 miles across into WA) would be a good place for a single guy, yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho