Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times

Advertisements

Sorry for not catching the reported post folks...email issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
As someone who got a rear wheel drive hand-me-down in college after driving an '89 Jeep Cherokee for several years, I can say one thing.

For snow, avoid rear wheel drive at all costs.

(unless your engine is in the back, as in the original VWs)

My '88 T-bird fishtails like nothing I've ever driven. In Moscow, ID during the snowier winters, I had to give up driving entirely (which wasn't a real issue in a small town like Moscow). The Ford's been fine in New Mexico, but the occasional night of several inches of snow leaves me stranded until it melts later in the day. Even pickup trucks were better on snow, if that gives you any idea (oh yeah, and stay away from pickup trucks for snow).

Altogether, I've been told that it's important to have engine weight on the drive wheels, and that's why my rear wheels can't get the traction of most other cars. Sand bags helped, but there are other issues with filling your trunk with sand bags for a long period of time.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
My wife's BMW RWD is fine since we put on Nokian studded snow tires. They are THE BOMB. Feels like you're driving on dry road nearly. We just avoid deep stuff, so on days I don't want to plow our private road, we take my 4x4.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 AM

43 posts, read 346,232 times
Thumbs up Driving in Twin Falls....

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah42 View Post
I'll be moving to Twin Falls in October from Mississippi and will be buying a new car before then. I understand they don't see too much snow there, but I've never driven in snow before and would like to know what the best type of car would be for driving in snow, as far as 4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel drive, front wheel vs. rear wheel.
Also, I'm a canoer and kayaker, and would like to try mountain biking and skiing, and was wondering if 4x4 would be necessary or beneficial to get to access points for these sports.
Any help would be appreciated!
I lived in Mississippi for a bit and it DID snow there as well. We once had 6-8 inches from just one storm near the Columbus/Starkville area. It was great!

It does snow here in Twin Falls but a major snowstorm in Twin Falls would be about 6 inches or so. Every so often we can get a "HUGE" snowstorm of nearly 10 to 12 or so inches. Mostly we get snowstorms that range from 1 to about 4 inches here. Burley to our east usually gets more as do the south hills.

I believe you would be fine with a good front wheel drive vehicle in Twin but having a good 4WD would be great if you wanted to head towards Sun Valley,Pomerelle or Magic Mountain (all ski resorts 'near' Twin Falls.

Good luck,
Survey Taker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho