Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 32,069 times

Advertisements

Rather than naming specific towns, in my opinion it is always risky to speed when passing through any small rural town if you have out-of-county (or out-of-state) plates. Small town cops are often bored, they know which street(s) to monitor for through traffic, and they know that if you aren't a local you're less likely to travel back fight the ticket in court. I don't even speed by 1MPH in these towns. Outside of city limits, I've never been hassled for driving up to 4MPH over the limit (after testing my speedometer for accuracy). On I84 along unpopulated areas, I often observe people driving up to 8MPH over the limit, but I don't know if +8MPH is ticket-worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernt View Post
Rather than naming specific towns, in my opinion it is always risky to speed when passing through any small rural town if you have out-of-county (or out-of-state) plates. Small town cops are often bored, they know which street(s) to monitor for through traffic, and they know that if you aren't a local you're less likely to travel back fight the ticket in court. I don't even speed by 1MPH in these towns. Outside of city limits, I've never been hassled for driving up to 4MPH over the limit (after testing my speedometer for accuracy). On I84 along unpopulated areas, I often observe people driving up to 8MPH over the limit, but I don't know if +8MPH is ticket-worthy.
Yeah, I had a cop wave me to slow down once passing through some small town in the middle of nowhere (no idea what town it was, something on highway 77 or 81). The speed limit was 25 and I was going, at most, 27. He didn't ticket me, but I thought it was a little silly.

Personal opinion, I figure I'm ok if I'm within 10% of the speed limit, either way. So in school zones, I stay under 22, and around town, I keep it under 40 (limit is mostly 35), but on the freeway, when the speed limit is 75, I don't feel bad pushing a few over 80. I usually set my cruise at about 81 or 82. If everyone stayed within 10% of the speed limit, there'd be a lot fewer accidents. Accidents aren't just caused by people speeding. They are just as often caused by super slow drivers. Cops should ticket people for going 45 in a 75 zone (assuming no inclement driving conditions, where everyone has slowed down, of course), just like they do for speeding, as they are just as dangerous.

As for the original topic, anywhere the speed limit changes drastically in a short distance. For example, it isn't in Idaho, but just over the Montana border, as you go into the town of West Yellowstone, the limit drops from 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 in just a couple hundred yards. They love to ticket there. I also agree with Garden City. I keep it right at the speed limit there. And my aunt got the only ticket in her whole life on the freeway outside Pocatello, where she didn't realize it dropped to 65 for a few miles.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 32,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
And my aunt got the only ticket in her whole life on the freeway outside Pocatello, where she didn't realize it dropped to 65 for a few miles.
Oh yes, there's a little section of Hwy 26 just west of Gooding that's only 55 instead of 65. Haven't been ticketed, but that stupid little stretch still drives me nuts every time!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 16,944 times
Default Don't Drive 80 mph Yet

Just a reminder that 80 mph was passed by the Legislature. It was suppose to start 7/1 and has been rolled back a bit. So 80 might land some tickets on I-84 and I-15 plus other areas it was anticipated the most.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Yes, they're still mulling it over, especially the impact on I-90:

Idaho

Old 07-19-2017, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Colfax is indeed awful. I traveled a lot through there to/from Spokane in my time in Moscow.

Here's a helpful tidbit for those who want to skip Colfax b/w Moscow/Lewiston and Spokane. Just take US-95 up north of Moscow a ways until, shortly after you pass the Viola turns, there's a left known as ID-66 or Palouse Cove Rd. Once you turn, you'll cross the WA border shortly afterward. This road will take you through a small town called Palouse where you have to negotiate some turns to get to WA-27 or Division St, which heads north out of Palouse. The only other towns that require a turn are Garfield, at 4th St., but it's pretty obvious with good signage, and Oakesdale, where you take WA-271 or 1st St. This road will intersect with US-195 at the Rosalia/Oakesdale exit, a healthy distance past Colfax. Then just remember to take the Rosalia/Oaksdale exit on the way back from Spokane (skip the first Rosalia exit).

You'll still go through some small towns with ticket-happy officers, but the towns are smaller and have less traffic than Colfax, so the drive is all around much more enjoyable. It's also more scenic and less traveled in my opinion.
Great advice. I travel a lot to Pullman. I use to pass through Colfax, but after getting a $135 ticket for not coming to a complete dead stop on one of its quiet back streets some years back I avoid the town completely. Now from Rosalia I cut across to Oakesdale, then drive to Garfield and then to Palouse. From Palouse there's a highway that goes straight to Pullman. It takes a little longer, but is less stressful and mileage-wise it's actually shorter. With the police behaving the way they do, the town isn't worth my time.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Just read through all the posts, and it all still applies, as far as I know. Shelley is still the same, for sure.

One thing that needs mentioning; Idaho is still completely anti-marijuana. Local and county cops will pull an out of state car over even if the speed limit is being driven, just on the off-chance they might find some pot to bust.

So if you are coming to Idaho for a visit, please leave your pot at home. Don't take the chance of being busted for possession; like a speeding ticket, you may get off with a fine, which will be larger than a speeding ticket, or you may find yourself stuck here for longer than you planned, waiting to go see the judge.
If you leave the state and go back home without facing the law, Idaho will often send a warrant out on you to track you down. That's much worse than staying and waiting for your court date to come up.

And for your own sake, please don't transport for a friend in a legal pot state. A lot of folks have done jail time for this favor to some friend in Oregon, Washington or Colorado.
What is just a sale there can amount to a possible felony amount of marijuana here. It won't matter if you are clean as a whistle and/or have no record. The simple possession amount is very low here.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Just read through all the posts, and it all still applies, as far as I know. Shelley is still the same, for sure.

One thing that needs mentioning; Idaho is still completely anti-marijuana. Local and county cops will pull an out of state car over even if the speed limit is being driven, just on the off-chance they might find some pot to bust.

So if you are coming to Idaho for a visit, please leave your pot at home. Don't take the chance of being busted for possession; like a speeding ticket, you may get off with a fine, which will be larger than a speeding ticket, or you may find yourself stuck here for longer than you planned, waiting to go see the judge.
If you leave the state and go back home without facing the law, Idaho will often send a warrant out on you to track you down. That's much worse than staying and waiting for your court date to come up.

And for your own sake, please don't transport for a friend in a legal pot state. A lot of folks have done jail time for this favor to some friend in Oregon, Washington or Colorado.
What is just a sale there can amount to a possible felony amount of marijuana here. It won't matter if you are clean as a whistle and/or have no record. The simple possession amount is very low here.

What!? With no probable cause?

Good advice for drivers to remember below...

What Rights Do You Have When Pulled Over - Business Insider

Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
What!? With no probable cause?

Good advice for drivers to remember below...

What Rights Do You Have When Pulled Over - Business Insider
There's always 'probable cause'. Most of it is speeding, but about anything will do.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
Cascade

Seriously don't mess around zipping through canyons there. They will put you in jail.

Also going in and out of Jackpot use caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho