Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM

151 posts, read 459,944 times

Advertisements

I want to start a thread on different types of homes more and more people are considering building. I've seen sites on earth sheltered and dome homes. I think if one buys land first in north idaho and asks if they can build these types of homes, it would set the stage for a revolution in home building. I would like to hear others' opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,843,476 times
Huh? I don't follow you...

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
There are already are lots of alternative style homes up here: straw bale, cordwood, cob, earth-sheltered, etc. There are even teaching workshops and architects specializing in these structures.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 PM

122 posts, read 349,085 times
My plan is for a SIP (structural insulated panel) home of just under 1700 sq ft including attached garage. Using 8 or 10 in panels for the exterior walls and 10 - 12 inche panels for the roof will allow me to build a strong home that will be a large part of earning a five star energy rating. I would also like to have a full basement using Superior Walls if possible; at this time, the nearest facility makes shipping cost prohibitive, so that's a we'll see. Perhaps, then ICF (insulated concrete forms), but we shall see, given my reading and other information I've received, I prefer the Superior Wall. The alternative is a frosted protected shallow foundation which is a sound structural choice for a house on a slab and significantly less expensive than the basement.

My choice is definitely SIPs, but there are a number of building methods that produce stronger and warmer homes than the traditional 2x4 or 2x6 wood frame.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

151 posts, read 459,944 times
Cool I think concrete is the way to go

The problem is that concrete is very expensive and people love to build enormous homes, so they figure build a few thousand square foot week home versus a small concrete home. I would take a one or two room concrete home or an oversized wood home any day.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,430,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
I think if one buys land first in north idaho and asks if they can build these types of homes, it would set the stage for a revolution in home building. I would like to hear others' opinions on this.
Respectfully, I don't agree with you. People have been buying land and building in the manners that you have described all over the country for decades. There hasn't been a revolution yet, and I don't see one coming in the near future. Very few people are interested in building their own homes and even fewer are willing to try something outside of the box (pun intended) with their personal residence.

In my opinion, ICF and SIP construction are much different than rammed-earth, straw bale or other "fringe" building methods. I don't use the word fringe in a negative manner, but those methods make up such a small fraction of homes and are so different that I call them fringe for those reasons. I could easily see ICF and SIP construction come more into the mainstream because of their energy efficiency.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 PM

170 posts, read 463,407 times
When I was in WA last year looking at property I found this architect written up in one of the real estate mags in the hotel lobby. I have no affiliation, just thought it fit in with the discussion if it's ok with the mods.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysLooking View Post
When I was in WA last year looking at property I found this architect written up in one of the real estate mags in the hotel lobby. I have no affiliation, just thought it fit in with the discussion if it's ok with the mods.
He's a great architect! I have friends who used him for their home and it is an incredible house (in fact, it's on his website!).

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 16,214 times
All I can tell you people is to read the book" The Hand Sculpted House"
by Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley, and Michael G. Smith

If you want to change your lives and possibly the lives of others.

Well I can also say that we don't need to invent new ways to make our homes more sustainable. The only methods we need are already tried and true. Stop the corporate sustainability crap. Store bought sustainability is a marketing gimmick.

CM

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 39,178 times
Amen!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho