Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,458 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband was just accepted in the PA program at ISU. We will be moving to either the Boise or Pocatello area. We are not LDS nor do we plan on converting. How hard will it be for me to find a teaching job, Language Arts, Secondary in these cities? Will we be ostracized because we are not LDS? I've heard too many horror stories Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
Hello,
Choose Boise! Read my thread under Good Suburbs of Boise. You will have more opportunities and a sounder investment if you buy in Boise. Don't worry about not being LDS, there are plenty of people who aren't myself included. Many of my neighbors are LDS and the best neighbors ever. If you plan on teaching, try for a job in Boise as it pays higher than other areas. I'm a real estate agent and would be able to help you out. Email me and I can send you info on this area. I think you will be very suprised on how much you like it here.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM

61 posts, read 301,649 times
My husband and I are both English teachers too. We are looking at Coeur d'Alene as a possible relocation area. Actually, we are coming to visit CDA at the beginning of spring break. Do you happen to know a realtor in the area who knows the town like the back of his/her hand? What do you know about salaries in CDA?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukla1 View Post
My husband and I are both English teachers too. We are looking at Coeur d'Alene as a possible relocation area. Actually, we are coming to visit CDA at the beginning of spring break. Do you happen to know a realtor in the area who knows the town like the back of his/her hand? What do you know about salaries in CDA?
Yes I do know someone that can help you! Check back here, I should be able to get their info to you tomorrow, don't have it on hand but I will get it! I am not familiar with salaries but I'm sure they will be able to get that info for you.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Hi Kukla1,
I have a name and number for you of a realtor in CDA. She has been in the business for years and knows CDA very well. She use to be the President of all the the agents up there, so she is well versed in her industry. I don't know if I can put her information out on this website. I am new to this site and am not familiar with their rules. Can I get in touch with you? Do you allow members to email you? Maybe I can do it that way so I can get you're information to her? Let me know what you want me to do.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Just click on the person's name and "Send a private message to..." to reach someone through the forum.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Just click on the person's name and "Send a private message to..." to reach someone through the forum.
Thank you for your help! I just discovered this website while I was looking for something else and haven't had a chance to explore it very much.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,686 times
Default If you go to Pocatello.

If I may recomend Randy Spencer for a realator. He's been there since long before I was born, don't tell him I said that. He knows every nook and cranny of Pocatello.

Good Luck
-James

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM

66 posts, read 309,319 times
Oh, but Randy's Mormon, James! <G>

No, seriously...don't worry about not being able to get a job simply because you're not LDS. Idaho's not run by Mormons. For heaven's sake, when I was a sub in Pocatello there was one school I didn't like going to much because of the number of teachers who were intolerant of Mormons. There was one young LDS teacher there, a very quiet guy...He came to school one day baggy-eyed, wearing a sticker on his suit that said "My son was born at PRMC." Yeah...overnight. He was a happy dad to a newborn, and also very tired. But the real story was when I came up the stairs to find him backed into a corner by six other teachers who were congratulating him by grilling him on his choice to bring another baby (his 7th) into this overcrowded world, etc. This poor guy--he's so quiet, he had no idea how to respond and he was exhausted. I didn't even react right away, I was so sure it would be just one or two teachers, and that the others were there to break things up or cool them off--but no, every teacher had a sharp question or comment. The last few were like this: "How do you think you can possibly raise seven kids as well as you can raise one? How are you going to give them what they need in life? How can you afford seven kids on your pay?" I walked briskly into the group at that point and said something like, "Mr. X, my husband was one of 12 kids. His dad was a teacher and his mother stayed home. He and his siblings so far have all graduated college. They own homes. They have good families. They speak seven languages among them. None of them has ever seen the inside of a jail; they made it through adolescence without taking drugs or getting pregnant. They all play violin or piano, they all sing, they are all respected in their communities, and they seem to have survived being children in a large family pretty well. Congratulations on your new son. Excuse me, please, Mr. X and I are on our way to lunch."

Of course, you probably wouldn't want to teach there either...but that school's closed now. I think it's an alternate school, actually--James? It was Alameda Junior High then.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
Pocatello is a beautiful area.
No matter which area you move to, don't worry.
The "horror" stories that you have heard are just isolated incidents.
Idaho isn't overrun with LDS people running around trying to convert everyone.
They are just family oriented sweet people who may be one of your neighbors.
I was once asked.... (because I have five children)... are you Mormon or Catholic? My reply was, "neither, I am a Christian, and I like having a lot of kids."

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinfools View Post
Hi! My husband was just accepted in the PA program at ISU. We will be moving to either the Boise or Pocatello area. We are not LDS nor do we plan on converting. How hard will it be for me to find a teaching job, Language Arts, Secondary in these cities? Will we be ostracized because we are not LDS? I've heard too many horror stories Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho