Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:51 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

For all you winter-weary people, I thought I'd share with you this little video from Post Falls:
Spokesman.com | Spring arrives | Apr 23, 2009 (http://www.spokesman.com/video/2009/apr/23/spring-arrives/ - broken link)
We know about the peepers--how about the other signs of spring? Which birds start singing first? And which are the first trees to start greening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:50 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Hey CFF,

Thanks for sharing that video! The winter was too long, but spring brings a renewal to the earth that is magical and serene....always well-worth waiting for. Spring is my favorite season, by far!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
CFF

That was great.
I do admit that sometimes I second guess our choice of southwestern Idaho as our new home when I see vid's like that one.
Then reality sets in and I know of the 7 month long winters that make me pucker a bit.
That is the joy of southern Idaho getting a bunch more sun over the whole year.
I hope we are making the right choice

Old 04-25-2009, 01:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,870 times
Research the area for flood plains, fires and other major catastrophes. I currently live in a fire Zone and have had to leave for a week at a time in the past five years. Of course this is in sunny Southern CA. Every state has it's problems. The main thing is use common sense and talk to the wise folk who already live there. Just reading these posts have given me great insight as to what living in Idaho will be like. I just wish I could take my house with me.

I have replaced everything there is to replace. Roof, Paint (inside and out), doors, windows, decks, new kitchen cabinets, and even new appliances. Does anybody own a spaceship large enough to move my house?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:31 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Robins are the first sign of spring arriving. You also see the geese pairs arriving and spending time together eating and nesting. The grass starts very slowly turning green and trees begin budding. Spring bulbs such as crocus, daffoldils, tulips, and hyacinth start blooming, which I really love. A real sure sign of spring is Les Schwab becomes crowded again with everyone taking off their winter tires and putting on their summer ones.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
DR, the great thing about Idaho is that they have roads--you can drive up to NID in the spring/summer/fall much faster from Emmett than from Central CA!

Fisherman, I hear you, about the fire zone...we were evacuated in the 2003 firestorm(the fire came within 300 yards of the house), and prepared to evacuate in 2007, and we're in a perpetual stress situation in the fall every time the Santa Ana blows. But NID has fires, too--I guess there is really no way we can be safe, and at the same time live near nature. But you're so right about doing the research before deciding on a place--and then weigh the pros and the cons. I actually was in touch with FEMA, doing flood plains research, before buying our land in NID, one mile from the river!

So, Brokencrayola, how are you doing, living along that beautiful river? Are you up high enough if there are spring floods? Thanks for the "signs of spring" report, it sounds like where I grew up! Except blackbirds were the first sign of spring, singing "in the dead of night" like in the Beatles song...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho