Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,128 times

Advertisements

We'll agree to disagree about Boise and its uncontrolled and poorly planned growth. Don't get me too wrong, I like Boise and have considered relocating there from Twin (we did have a weekend place in the Southeast for a few years) but it's too much like what I wanted to leave behind in California and most natives I know are not happy with the changes in Boise the last 15-20 years.

If you come to Idaho from California and leave your California ways behind you'll be welcomed. If you come here and start trying to do a makeover, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
We'll agree to disagree about Boise and its uncontrolled and poorly planned growth. Don't get me too wrong, I like Boise and have considered relocating there from Twin (we did have a weekend place in the Southeast for a few years) but it's too much like what I wanted to leave behind in California and most natives I know are not happy with the changes in Boise the last 15-20 years.

If you come to Idaho from California and leave your California ways behind you'll be welcomed. If you come here and start trying to do a makeover, not so much.

That is more like Meridian, Eagle, unincorporated Ada County but not Boise. Many cities that started seeing swift growth had to deal with uncontrolled growth too. The Salt Lake Valley for instance saw the same issue over a decade ago that areas West of Boise city limits are currently experiencing. Now the sprawl and uncontrolled growth around SLC is almost all filled in and that is what will most likely happen to the areas west of Boise city limits in the upcoming decade. Density in the western Metro area will be the name of the game here soon but I honestly feel that the Boise area is still nothing like what is in CA, this valley has a long ways to go and a lot of growth to become like any over populated area in CA.
Just my opinion.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I think most of the people that are in a hurry to leave leave because:

1. They are used to making a lot more money and cannot make as much here.
2. They cannot find a job, and did not secure one before arriving, or get laid off once they have been here a bit.
3. We have a bad winter and they cannot handle it.
4. They cannot handle the rain in the spring and early summer.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I honestly believe idaho is a "white-flight" destination for californians. We've already heard from one poster who wasn't afraid to say it. Like how in the 1940's and 50's mostly white families fled the cities for the suburbs, california became one big suburb of a suburb of endlessness, and with the recent international influences impacting the way of life, a particular demographic of americans are seeking out idaho to be the place where they can have the picket white fence, american flag on the front porch in a rural "american" setting. It's a fantasy and luckily for now many are able to make that fantasy a reality until of course the influx of people turn idaho into an overrun suburb of suburbs as well. I too believe that planning for growth is severely lacking in boise. But i do know an elderly couple that retired here from the bay area to live in cascade, Upon realizing their ideal wasn't so ideal with the snow, weather and seclusion, they moved to Eagle and live in a californiaesque subdivision that is within proximity to the foothills and horse pastures...they didn't go back to california...

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,977 times
Good post and probably correct in many ways. Actually nothing wrong with wanting to be with people of a like mindset. Most places have a China Town, a little Saigon, etc. I cannot see an Orthodox Jew living next to an Aryan compound, or a New York Socialite living in rural Idaho. I don't care what color you are just don't play your music so loud the whole darn neighborhood can hear it. Like white speeders playing Metallica so loud it bounces off the nearby mountains. Keep your business to yourself and let the other guy enjoy his life. If some folks could understand that, it would be a lot easier to get along.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I honestly believe idaho is a "white-flight" destination for californians. We've already heard from one poster who wasn't afraid to say it. Like how in the 1940's and 50's mostly white families fled the cities for the suburbs, california became one big suburb of a suburb of endlessness, and with the recent international influences impacting the way of life, a particular demographic of americans are seeking out idaho to be the place where they can have the picket white fence, american flag on the front porch in a rural "american" setting. It's a fantasy and luckily for now many are able to make that fantasy a reality until of course the influx of people turn idaho into an overrun suburb of suburbs as well. I too believe that planning for growth is severely lacking in boise. But i do know an elderly couple that retired here from the bay area to live in cascade, Upon realizing their ideal wasn't so ideal with the snow, weather and seclusion, they moved to Eagle and live in a californiaesque subdivision that is within proximity to the foothills and horse pastures...they didn't go back to california...
While think there is an element of truth to this thread, I think it sells Idaho short. Idaho is a drop-dead gorgeous state by any measure, and the locals are justifiably proud of it. People will continue to move to Idaho because of what it has (mountains, rivers, open space, reasonably affordable homes, clean air,etc.), not necessarily to escape different cultures, though some certainly do. I must admit I am a bit conflicted myself. I personally like visiting places with all kinds of ethnic, racial, and cultural diversity for good music, food, ideas. But too often that translates into higher crime and conflict. Not places I really want to live. So, while I am not running from minorities, I am not running towards them either. Diversity seems like a double-edge sword. Also 9/11 made me want to keep my family safe, and I don't feel safe in many urban areas. Does this make me a racist? Perhaps. However,I don't think it is a racial for me, so much as an urban vs. rural/small town thing. I prefer the latter.

Then again, I would not like to live in a place where everyone is entirely the same and into each others' business. I agree with the post about just being considerate of your neighbors, which seems relevant anywhere. If that is what the Californians are seeking, and willing to provide in kind, I think that could be a good thing for Idaho.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Good post and probably correct in many ways. Actually nothing wrong with wanting to be with people of a like mindset. Most places have a China Town, a little Saigon, etc. I cannot see an Orthodox Jew living next to an Aryan compound, or a New York Socialite living in rural Idaho. I don't care what color you are just don't play your music so loud the whole darn neighborhood can hear it. Like white speeders playing Metallica so loud it bounces off the nearby mountains. Keep your business to yourself and let the other guy enjoy his life. If some folks could understand that, it would be a lot easier to get along.
What's a white mindset?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Then again, I would not like to live in a place where everyone is entirely the same and into each others' business. I agree with the post about just being considerate of your neighbors, which seems relevant anywhere. If that is what the Californians are seeking, and willing to provide in kind, I think that could be a good thing for Idaho.
Ask the folks of Donnelly Idaho what they think of Californian migration.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Ask the folks of Donnelly Idaho what they think of Californian migration.
I'm from Oregon. So, don't get me started on that topic.

I was just saying that folks are probably just seeking good neighbors,as Fisherman 100 implied, and the best way to get that is to give it. In some areas with gangs, meth, and generally high crime, good neighbors can be hard to find. I think the pursuit of safe neighborhoods is not racism, but it can be correlated with it.

I should not have implied California invasion was a good or bad thing. Off topic, and I'm bored with it.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
While think there is an element of truth to this thread, I think it sells Idaho short. Idaho is a drop-dead gorgeous state by any measure, and the locals are justifiably proud of it. People will continue to move to Idaho because of what it has (mountains, rivers, open space, reasonably affordable homes, clean air,etc.), not necessarily to escape different cultures, though some certainly do. I must admit I am a bit conflicted myself. I personally like visiting places with all kinds of ethnic, racial, and cultural diversity for good music, food, ideas. But too often that translates into higher crime and conflict. Not places I really want to live. So, while I am not running from minorities, I am not running towards them either. Diversity seems like a double-edge sword. Also 9/11 made me want to keep my family safe, and I don't feel safe in many urban areas. Does this make me a racist? Perhaps. However,I don't think it is a racial for me, so much as an urban vs. rural/small town thing. I prefer the latter.

well first off, by me throwing it out there I was not saying anyone that is coming to idaho is a white racist.. by no means at all.. you've read too far into it.
But it is interesting to note that idaho's population has grown by 20 percent since 2000 and with such influx you would think that diversity would be greatly impacted. Mind you in boise and urban areas it has, but overall statewide it hasn't changed much and is still a pretty white state. It is what it is. Someone doesn't move to cascade or donnely to be surrounded by different cultures and people.. but people do move to cascade or donnely for a lifestyle.. and different factors are important to people for different reasons. The lifestyle is more important in this case. It just so happens to be a lifestyle that doesn't appeal to urbanites or international flavors... which goes back to saying.. it is what it is... and I can respect someone that can honestly say that without trying to be all politically correct. Many times people confuse race and culture..America is full of different cultures that play into race and region.
There is nothing wrong with seeking a place and lifestyle that is comfortable for you... I just think like how many people have warned, just know what you're getting yourself into because sometimes you find out the "fantasy" is just that.. and your new neighbors in idaho see you as the cultural invasion you were seeking to leave behind in california.
when in rome do as the romans... and I think when discussing this things it's best to just be honest.. people shouldn't have to fear being labeled anything for choices they make for themselves and their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho