Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,880,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
There are tradeoffs with any place.

Some of you make California out to be absolute hell on Earth, yet it remains one of the most desirable places in the US to live. Still, despite their many problems.

It just depends on the individual situation and the people involved. I do think that Idaho gets falsely advertised as some old-fashioned, traditional paradise retreats where the people are friendly, the business is good, the air clean, the water pure, the traffic and crime minimal, and on and on and on.

There are many psychological terms that describe this condition. Colloquially we refer to it as "the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence."
But, but, but all those things you listed are true! Maybe not all in the same place and at the same time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 PM

526 posts, read 1,757,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
But, but, but all those things you listed are true! Maybe not all in the same place and at the same time...
Idaho is pristine because there is no money to be made... People gravitate to the $$$ and that goes for businessmen all the way down to your simpleton collecting a gov't check.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,329 times
Just like California wasn't for me after living there from 1958-1994, neither is Idaho for everybody. There are some things I miss in California, some museums and the ocean but little else. If I want to go visit, I get in a vehicle and drive for a little while and there I am. After a couple weeks I remember why I left and come back home.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 AM

526 posts, read 1,757,807 times
California has nice affluent spots like OC and Thousand Oaks to Calabasas but as soon as you leave those enclaves you start to wonder if you are even in America anymore.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,713 times
I think of California as a transitional state. A place to get a good start due to pay, weather, etc. As the years go by, the multitudes, never-ending sunshine and other factors begin to wear you down. If you are a young A type it is the place to be because of the opportunity the state provides for employment, etc.

I have been in Idaho a grand total of 5 months and have mellowed quite a bit. Something about deer, turkeys, pine trees, horses, etc, can do that to a person.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
CSG

Well, to be fair, California has tons of beautiful rural areas with those things too. The problem is, they're still in California with all of its problems and high costs and too many people coming to the country from the cities on the weekends or vacations.

We'd looked at simply moving out of the Sacramento area (after having lived all over California) back to the country somewhere (like the Sierra foothills or the northeastern quadrant) but realized we'd still have the nightmare of the nanny state. In Idaho, if you don't need to earn a big living or are retired or make your money by telecommuting, you don't get the nanny state or crowds. That's why we left. No one cares if I have an AR-15 carbine.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
^^^^^^

I often hear California transplants who live in Boise say that Boise reminds them of some of the nicer small to medium sized California cities before they lost their charm. I welcome the growth in Boise and most people who relocate here from CA seem to want to live here to gain back what they feel they lost in CA.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM

656 posts, read 1,993,129 times
I was a resident of California from 1965 until early 2006. We were ready to leave and wanted to live elsewhere. We ended up heading to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and lasted from March 06 until May 07. It just wasn't for us. We bought a home there and were fortunate to have hit a time in Idaho where we sold it for a great deal more than we paid for it just a year later. I work from home and kept the same income but my husband's job that he got there was not so great. Employers he got job offers from were either not giving health benefits or just for the employee. I think the weather was the one thing that did us in. The long gray days of Idaho were indeed too long for this CA native.

I am grateful for the experience and VERY glad that we were financially able to move again. I think life is way to short to live where you aren't happy --- for me it was worth the sacrafice to discover that Idaho wasn't for us and to put to rest the ideals I had of what it is like to live there.

I will say the people of Idaho were VERY friendly and welcoming.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
CSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
^^^^^^

I often hear California transplants who live in Boise say that Boise reminds them of some of the nicer small to medium sized California cities before they lost their charm. I welcome the growth in Boise and most people who relocate here from CA seem to want to live here to gain back what they feel they lost in CA.
Thus making it more like California and less like Idaho. And some Californians wonder why they are not welcomed here...

Who do you think ruined California and all those "charming" towns in the first place?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Thus making it more like California and less like Idaho. And some Californians wonder why they are not welcomed here...

Who do you think ruined California and all those "charming" towns in the first place?
I don't think California transplants are unwelcome in Boise, I have never seen or heard anything myself to validate it except only through discussion in this forum. I am friends with and work with a lot of CA transplants and they have never once said they felt unwelcomed in Boise but rather that they feel welcomed here and feel like they can relax and breathe and enjoy life. I think the kind of people who live in CA and decide to move to Boise, Idaho are the kind of people who respect what Boise offers. And I also don't think that there are so many moving here in droves that Boise is going to lose any charm anytime soon. Growth is good, and has offered Boise and the metro area many more opportunities than if there was no growth.
I don't want too much growth, but a good balance, but Boise can stand to be a bit larger imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho