Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 14,007 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the C'dA or Sandpoint area from the Tahoe area. Here are some of the things that are important to us:
  • Close-knit community
  • Good schools (we have a 3yr old and 1yr old)
  • Easy Access to skiing (ie 30-45min)
  • Relatively easy access to a large airport (I travel regularly for work)
  • Affordable housing
Any perspective or suggestions that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, after a quick look at the Spokane airport, it seems like a pretty good airport to get where you need to go. Is that a correct assumption? I am used to flying out of Reno so I can deal with not having a direct flight to New York but do need to be able to get to all parts of the country without having to make 2-stops.

Thanks again!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb Search the Idaho Forum for Some of Your Answers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm09595 View Post
We are considering a move to the C'dA or Sandpoint area from the Tahoe area. Here are some of the things that are important to us:
  • Close-knit community
  • Good schools (we have a 3yr old and 1yr old)
  • Easy Access to skiing (ie 30-45min)
  • Relatively easy access to a large airport (I travel regularly for work)
  • Affordable housing
Any perspective or suggestions that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, after a quick look at the Spokane airport, it seems like a pretty good airport to get where you need to go. Is that a correct assumption? I am used to flying out of Reno so I can deal with not having a direct flight to New York but do need to be able to get to all parts of the country without having to make 2-stops.

Thanks again!!!!!!
nm09595,

First, welcome to the Idaho forum if you haven't been here before. There are many active posters from NID who can address your questions. However, I wanted to ask you first if you had used the search feature and searched through the forum for the information you asked? It is true most people use different titles, but I'm willing to guess you won't have to look back even 3-4 pages to find questions about the Panhandle an NID.

You are right that Spokane is the airport serving that area. Lewiston has a small airport with commuter service, but farther north, it's Spokane.

Please do not misunderstand me, you are welcome to post. I'm always amazed, as are others here at the Idaho Forum, of how few people actually search the previous posts for essentially the same questions. There is a LOT of good information in previous posts that I think would answer some of your questions, so I'd encourage you to look as you might find the answer you're seeking have been written in several posts prior to yours.

After you search the Idaho Forum for your answers, please post to clarify anything you don't understand from the earlier threads. It would be great if we could refer those who ask next week or in two weeks or two months to your thread as a model of someone who did research the wealth of information already written, then clarified it with questions far more specific.

Best wishes as you learn more to find your own "private Idaho," as that sounds like your current plan

MSR

Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Sandpoint schools are facing some rough times. Not sure about CDA but the state is not the best as far as education in the best of times.
Keeping kids a priority hard for pinched district - Spokesman.com - March 21, 2010

Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
IMHO CdA is a super easy commute to the airport... Sandpoint in the winter might be rougher but still doable... The Spokane airport is a pleasure compared to many airports, and its just a hop skip and jump away from CdA... Skiing access is pretty easy anywhere up here, and I think CdA might be more affordable... Just my .02... Good luck!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 AM

121 posts, read 339,129 times
Once you've narrowed down a few areas you can research the schools here:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 AM

64 posts, read 261,556 times
Lake Tahoe is much nicer than CDA or Sandpoint. Why would you want to move to Northern Idaho?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,007 times
We do love it here in the Tahoe area but it is very expensive (and only getting worse). We think the CDA area offers a lot of what we love about Tahoe (ie skiing, lakes, mountains, etc). It also offers easy airport access, which I need.

Unclebigs - what do you think Tahoe offers that the NID area doesn't? I am very interested in your perspective as we are trying to make a very informed decision about a possible move.

Also, what is the winter weather like in the CDA area? I realize it probably doesn't have the same amount of sunny days as the Tahoe area but is it really gloomy all winter?

Thanks for all of the perspective!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
Lake Tahoe is much nicer than CDA or Sandpoint. Why would you want to move to Northern Idaho?
Why arent you looking for land in Tahoe instead of CdA then? I've been to Tahoe quite a bit.. It is pretty, but I like CdA much better overall.
Lake CdA was named one of the 5 prettiest alpine lakes in the world by National Geographic.. Kinda hard to argue about the beauty of N. Idaho..
The weather is arguable I suppose, but I came from a place you could wear T-shirts and shorts almost year round.. I wouldnt trade what N. Idaho has to offer for warmer weather myself..

Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Here is one very good reason: the road around Lake Tahoe is at its lowest elevation 6200 ft, and at its highest 8044, according to Google Earth. The Lake CdA shoreline is approximately a gentle 2200 ft at its lowest point, and 2800 at its highest. Some people can't handle the altitude of the Sierras. That's probably not the case with nm09595, since you guys already live at Lake Tahoe, but it is a very substantial difference to take into consideration. + the cost of living.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,195 times
Tahoe used to be cheap until everyone decided to own summer homes there. And Tahoe is way prettier that CDA lake and cleaner too! I have spent many a summer at Tahoe and skiing in the winter there. The snow is way better there for sure. You can forget three foot powder days here. We have a lot more days without sun year round here. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember. I understand why your moving do yourself a favor and don't try to compare the two places Tahoe has no equal as far as I am concerned. It's as good as it gets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho