Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM

78 posts, read 229,320 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering a move to Albuquerque from Phoenix in the next year. I was wondering what is the general feeling in ABQ towards SB1070 and towards the Hispanic community in general (not illegal vs. legal, just people of Hispanic descent).

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
This thread may get more relevant responses from the ABQ forum.........

Old 09-08-2010, 01:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Ovaries View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are considering a move to Albuquerque from Phoenix in the next year. I was wondering what is the general feeling in ABQ towards SB1070 and towards the Hispanic community in general (not illegal vs. legal, just people of Hispanic descent).
New Mexico is an illegal alien sympathizer state in general because it has a high population of Hispanics both legal and illegal so I imagine the majority oppose sb1070. I don't know of any state that has a problem with Hispanics who are here legally and respect the laws of the land over their ethnic kind. They are hard to find though.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
This thread may get more relevant responses from the ABQ forum.........
That's what I thought, but I tried that and I got moved to this forum.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
New Mexico is an illegal alien sympathizer state in general because it has a high population of Hispanics both legal and illegal so I imagine the majority oppose sb1070. I don't know of any state that has a problem with Hispanics who are here legally and respect the laws of the land over their ethnic kind. They are hard to find though.
Well, my husband is Hispanic but is 4th generation American... he doesn't even speak Spanish! LOL But he clearly looks Hispanic and since the whole SB1070 controversy we have been met with a certain degree of hostility in Phoenix and comments like "go back to your own country". Sad, but true. So I was just wondering what the atmosphere is like in ABQ.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Well, my husband is Hispanic but is 4th generation American... he doesn't even speak Spanish! LOL But he clearly looks Hispanic and since the whole SB1070 controversy we have been met with a certain degree of hostility in Phoenix and comments like "go back to your own country". Sad, but true. So I was just wondering what the atmosphere is like in ABQ.
Looking Hispanic has nothing to do with sb1070 whether you live in Phoenix or out of state. Surely you don't believe that BS, do you? Besides if your husband is a citizen what has he to fear? He does have a DL or state I.D. doesn't he?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Looking Hispanic has nothing to do with sb1070 whether you live in Phoenix or out of state. Surely you don't believe that BS, do you? Besides if your husband is a citizen what has he to fear? He does have a DL or state I.D. doesn't he?
You're right, it doesn't, but unfortunately some people take things like this in the wrong direction and use it as a vehicle to drive whatever feelings of hostility they have towards certian people. It isn't the law I am worried about. It is the feelings from the community. Like I said, we have encountered hostility from the citizens of the state.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
You're right, it doesn't, but unfortunately some people take things like this in the wrong direction and use it as a vehicle to drive whatever feelings of hostility they have towards certian people. It isn't the law I am worried about. It is the feelings from the community. Like I said, we have encountered hostility from the citizens of the state.
It’s sad that the selfish illegals and their greedy profiteers have made it uncomfortable for all Hispanics. As this problem worsens, the disdain will only intensify. Is your husband supportive of illegals, or does he oppose illegal immigration? If he opposes illegal immigration, he should stand up and be counted and fight this scourge.

You can’t keep running from state to state. A large percentage of Hispanics (legal and illegal) have left Arizona and moved to New Mexico. Next, the citizens of NM will begin to display hostility. Then what, California?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
So what? I have had hostile neighbors also but there is nothing I can do about it but ignore them and go about my business and make friends with rational people instead.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It’s sad that the selfish illegals and their greedy profiteers have made it uncomfortable for all Hispanics. As this problem worsens, the disdain will only intensify. Is your husband supportive of illegals, or does he oppose illegal immigration? If he opposes illegal immigration, he should stand up and be counted and fight this scourge.

You can’t keep running from state to state. A large percentage of Hispanics (legal and illegal) have left Arizona and moved to New Mexico. Next, the citizens of NM will begin to display hostility. Then what, California?
We're not running. He was born and raised here; he wouldn't leave if it weren't for an awesome job opportunity. I just wanted to get some feedback from the people living in Albuquerque regarding this issue. The hostility we have encountered is just very new to me; I grew up in a very liberal area and never witnessed this type of thing before. I was wondering if we should expect it in NM.

And yes, it is sad that the issue has spilled over and made it uncomfortable for people of Hispanic descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.