Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

then drug dealers are unlicensed pharmacist.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
And, burglars are uninvited guests.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
I don't have a problem with the term "illegal immigrant" but it is argued that burglars and uninvited guests is the wrong analogy. It's the difference between between being a suspect and being convicted. They are suspected illegal immigrants until a court rules otherwise. True, you wouldn't call the cops and say "there is a suspected burglar in my living room allegedly stealing my TV" but in the eyes of the law he is treated as a suspect.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I don't have a problem with the term "illegal immigrant" but it is argued that burglars and uninvited guests is the wrong analogy. It's the difference between between being a suspect and being convicted. They are suspected illegal immigrants until a court rules otherwise. True, you wouldn't call the cops and say "there is a suspected burglar in my living room allegedly stealing my TV" but in the eyes of the law he is treated as a suspect.
It is exactly the same analogy. Whether it's an overstay or a border jumper they have both broken a law. Allegedly.

Same as a robber, they are a trespasser until convicted of stealing something. Suspected illegal alien or suspected burglar, no difference except in the magnitude of crime. If people don't want the label they shouldn't commit the crime.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
But we aren't talking about "suspected" illegal aliens. We are talking about those who actually are. Whether they have been caught or convicted is really irrelevant unless you are claiming there are no illegal aliens in our country. Someone breaking into your house is still a burgler before or after you call the police.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Both analogies are based on the fact that legal permission is required to distribute drugs or enter a private residence. Likewise, a foreign national cannot live in this country without the permission of the federal government. Those who fail to comply, are in violation of the law, and are aptly referred to as illegal aliens.

The difference between being a suspect and being convicted is only an issue of getting caught and prosecuted. It doesn’t mitigate or negate the illegality of the behavior. Years ago, my house was burglarized, but they never caught the perpetrators. Does the fact that they were never apprehended mean they aren’t burglars? No, it simply means they aren’t “convicted” burglars. If Ted Bundy had managed to evade detection, wouldn’t he still be a murderer?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Why don't we be totally pc and call them what they are, foreign national lawbreakers

Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But we aren't talking about "suspected" illegal aliens. We are talking about those who actually are. Whether they have been caught or convicted is really irrelevant unless you are claiming there are no illegal aliens in our country. Someone breaking into your house is still a burgler before or after you call the police.
incorrect...

someone is suspected of B&E. the act is not a sentence. Its the police that determins through their investigation whether that person is committing B&E or your drunk neighbor going into the wrong house.

but knowing some on this fourm...he's likely to be their "late" drunk neighbor.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
then drug dealers are unlicensed pharmacist.
Great analogy.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, burglars are uninvited guests.
A burglar would be a consumer without money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration