Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

234 posts, read 241,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Interesting as a 7th generation American you would find it funny that these illegals are sneaking into our country and giving birth on our soil while we pick up the tab for their birthing and the ensuing welfare that they can collect through these so-called citizens. What they are doing and how the law is being misinterpreted is making a mockery out of our citizenship.
You say sneaking in? That's funny. The Government since the 1986 immigration reform act has failed to enforce any of those law and has left the border doors wide open for over 20+ years yet you want to claim that they're sneaking on in. Illegals who easily to enter the USA end up employed by American companies at the tune of 7 million in the work force. HLS, IRS, SSA, State, County, and City governments all know this yet it's all allowed.

Laws are useless unless enforced.

Quote:
Our country is broke partly from funding these illegal's social costs. We have had to cut funding everywhere. What we really need is internal enforcement and removing all incentives for them to come here such as jobs, benefits and birthright ciitizenship. The Republicans do have such bills pending.
Our Country is broke due to a spending frenzy Federal Government & a Federal Reserve system that has put the American people into perpetual debt. The exact thing Andrew Jackson warn America about but that's another fish to fry.

Getting rid of illegals is just one baby step in cleaning up this Nation. Theirs bigger fish to fry.

Anyhow, I'd be happy with any kind of improved border security in the next 2+ years.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
Does it really matter what language an illegal immigrant speaks? They don't belong here in the first place. Your demands that they learn English is an acceptance of their presence. But walk lightly, many Americans also choose to speak Spanish as well. Lets not make Spanish the language of the illegal immigrant. After all, Spanish is actually a European language to begin with.

This is America, you can speak whatever language you choose.

Sorry to bust your bubble but English on a world scale is not the most spoken language. But it is a popular 2nd language.

1. Mandarin Chinese - 882 million

2. Spanish - 325 million

3. English - 328 million

Ethnologue: Statistical Summaries
English however is the langauge of commerce and business throughout the world.

What I don't understand is the number of Hispanic Americans who choose Spanish over English whenever possible. Some of their families have been here for generations including yours and yet they cling to the language of their ancestors. Spanish may be a European language but it is not one we adopted as our de facto language nor are we a Hispanic country culturally.

It isn't about freedom of speech but a question as to why they do it. It is a non-assimilation factor to me and in some cases downright rude. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of the biggest reasons illegals have to "hide in the shadows" is that they cannot speak English.

You sure about that.

The little critters are all over the place in Los Angeles, Ca. I even once spoke to a Sheriff here about illegals. I asked them if they arrest illegals who sell corn & other food from shopping carts, sell oranges from freeway off-ramps, "you get the picture" and they told me that they're not going to waste their time on such a low priority. Theirs plenty of violent criminals around here regardless of immigration status so deal with.

So maybe some do hide but in Los Anglese, Ca I don't think so!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
English however is the langauge of commerce and business throughout the world.

What I don't understand is the number of Hispanic Americans who choose Spanish over English whenever possible. Some of their families have been here for generations including yours and yet they cling to the language of their ancestors. Spanish may be a European language but it is not one we adopted as our de facto language nor are we a Hispanic country culturally.

It isn't about freedom of speech but a question as to why they do it. It is a non-assimilation factor to me and in some cases downright rude. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.
It's cultural thing just like how you don't understand why they speak Spanish they likely don't understand why you speak English.

It's a clash of cultures and in the end it's the bilinguals like me who make the bridges.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You say sneaking in? That's funny. The Government since the 1986 immigration reform act has failed to enforce any of those law and has left the border doors wide open for over 20+ years yet you want to claim that they're sneaking on in. Illegals who easily to enter the USA end up employed by American companies at the tune of 7 million in the work force. HLS, IRS, SSA, State, County, and City governments all know this yet it's all allowed.

Laws are useless unless enforced.

Our Country is broke due to a spending frenzy Federal Government & a Federal Reserve system that has put the American people into perpetual debt. The exact thing Andrew Jackson warn America about but that's another fish to fry.

Getting rid of illegals is just one baby step in cleaning up this Nation. Theirs bigger fish to fry.

Anyhow, I'd be happy with any kind of improved border security in the next 2+ years.
They are sneaking since they aren't coming within our immigration laws. Just because we have some open borders traitors in our government does not negate those laws.

I think illegal immigration is a huge fish to fry. Sorry you disagree. We are spending billions on their upkeep, added crime, Americans losing their jobs, crowded schools, jails and hospitals, uncontrolled population growth by third world, mostly uneducated and unskilled illegal aliens. If you see this as a trifle problem in our country well then I don't know what else to say to you then.

Improved border security is only one of the things we need to do to end this illegal immigration mess. Internal enforcement is just as important or maybe even more important and in particular removing all incentives for them to remain here or to continue to come here.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
You sure about that.

The little critters are all over the place in Los Angeles, Ca. I even once spoke to a Sheriff here about illegals. I asked them if they arrest illegals who sell corn & other food from shopping carts, sell oranges from freeway off-ramps, "you get the picture" and they told me that they're not going to waste their time on such a low priority. Theirs plenty of violent criminals around here regardless of immigration status so deal with.

So maybe some do hide but in Los Anglese, Ca I don't think so!
So job stealing, I.D. theft, sucking our tax coffers dry isn't a priority situtation?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It's cultural thing just like how you don't understand why they speak Spanish they likely don't understand why you speak English.

It's a clash of cultures and in the end it's the bilinguals like me who make the bridges.
Cultural thing? Then why aren't most other Americans whose ancestors were from other European countries not speaking those langauges rather than English? My ancestors were Polish and Irish. I have no desire to speak my ancestor's language because I am an American and English is our language not Polish. Why would Hispanic Americans not understand why Americans speak English when that is the language of this country? That makes no sense at all.

Yes, it is a clash of cultures and the more this problem grows the more resentment and clashes there will be. A country cannot survive with two or more cultural groups vying for dominance. A country needs an identifying language and culture and a cohesive society in order to survive.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:57 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
As do I, however I think one can check "other" on the census form. Why a Mestizo woud check just white is beyond me.
Many of us dont like to say we are part Indian so us darker Latinos say we are white.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
You seem hellbent on keeping America as a majority white European based Nation. I'm sorry to inform you but America is dynamic & hardly static.

You can close the borders today and it's not going to prevent the current demographic changes going on today in the USA. Hispanics & the Spanish language will continue to grow. Nobody can stop this, nobody.

That atitude dont help us Chicanos at all cause some racsists think we are all illegals. And I dont speak Spanish and am called pocho sometimes by Aztlaners.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
They are sneaking since they aren't coming within our immigration laws. Just because we have some open borders traitors in our government does not negate those laws.

I think illegal immigration is a huge fish to fry. Sorry you disagree. We are spending billions on their upkeep, added crime, Americans losing their jobs, crowded schools, jails and hospitals, uncontrolled population growth by third world, mostly uneducated and unskilled illegal aliens. If you see this as a trifle problem in our country well then I don't know what else to say to you then.

Improved border security is only one of the things we need to do to end this illegal immigration mess. Internal enforcement is just as important or maybe even more important and in particular removing all incentives for them to remain here or to continue to come here.
I'm not suggest that we ignore illegal immigration issues but rather be realistic about it. Considering the fact that America spends so much on foreign issues we could instead reallocate that funding to domestic issues such as illegal immigration. Free up some cash. Who wants to be waging other peoples wars? That's what I meant by having bigger fish to fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration