Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times

Advertisements

Come to think of it...... the last two Asian restaurants I was in, it was 100% hispanics working, none seemed very American at least the ones I heard all had heavy foreign accents.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
What about in Asian restaraunts. All I see are Asians.
My super white brother was hired as a chinese food delivery guy. True story. Oh and he said they treated him with respect and kindness.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Interesting experience. Not one worker or manager I saw was non-Hispanic. I glanced at their manager board, all Hispanic surnames.

So my initial order went through without a hitch but when I returned to the food prep area to request a piece of foil for my burrito the woman who had just made my sandwich couldn't understand me. She first grabbed a bowl, then fumbled below for who knows what, finally her fellow Hispanic colleague mumbled something in Spanish and presto I got my foil.

I guess they taught her enough English to make the food and since the meats are termed in Spanish half the battle was won.

Is Chipotle trying to suggest that the best employees they can find are those with limited English skills? I mean not even getting into whether these employees are legal or not (I have my suspicions) is it legal to have an entire workforce in a multicultural area made up of one ethnic group? Seems like an EEOC violation if nothing else. I can just picture an American teenager walking in applying for a job in Chipotle only to have their app tossed in the trash because they are not Hispanic.
Just wonder, is that the Chipotle in the Ballston neighborhood off of Wilson Blvd? I used to go there for lunch all the time and saw the same thing?

There are a lot of fast food chains in that area that have only Latino employees who are fluent in Spanish. Heck it is hard to a get a customer service related job in that area without being fluent in Spanish. I worked customer service jobs there for 4 years, I know.

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious when a business is 100% one race or ethnicity that there is discrimination in hiring going on. Unless the business is maybe no more than 5 people. Why are only some obligated to follow the equal opportunity laws when hiring?
Apparently it is perfectly legal to have a workplace that is only one group of people. I tried unsuccessfully for 8 months to get a banking job closer to home (I got a tech support job 40 miles away) and most of the teller lines and the whole branch were exclusively white women. Then I had to remember I'm in Kentucky.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,324,365 times

Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Just wonder, is that the Chipotle in the Ballston neighborhood off of Wilson Blvd? I used to go there for lunch all the time and saw the same thing?

There are a lot of fast food chains in that area that have only Latino employees who are fluent in Spanish. Heck it is hard to a get a customer service related job in that area without being fluent in Spanish. I worked customer service jobs there for 4 years, I know.

Apparently it is perfectly legal to have a workplace that is only one group of people. I tried unsuccessfully for 8 months to get a banking job closer to home (I got a tech support job 40 miles away) and most of the teller lines and the whole branch were exclusively white women. Then I had to remember I'm in Kentucky.
Bingo!!!! It was at the Ballston one. I'm sorry about your experience in Kentucky. It's becoming apparent that jobs advertising for Spanish speakers especially low level customer service jobs are discriminatory.

I wonder when Obama/Holder will look at this angle.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,330,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What is ironic - if you found a large chain that hired only white employees and never a single black, asian, hispanic ethnicity, that would indicate there was discrimination going on.

These "hispanic" businesses very obviously and blatantly discriminate against all other groups. It's common to see businesses where 100% are Spanish speaking, not a solitary black American, white American or any other type. Why in this day of EEOC is this allowed? They may as well put up signs "Help wanted: No non-hispanic or English speaker need apply".
You will find this quite prevelant in the construction industry, landscaping and cleaning businesses now. It is time that whites and blacks start screaming discrimination because that is exactly what it is.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,330,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Come to think of it...... the last two Asian restaurants I was in, it was 100% hispanics working, none seemed very American at least the ones I heard all had heavy foreign accents.
There is a Panda Express near me (Asian fast food place) and all of the workers are Hispanics.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,684,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There is a Panda Express near me (Asian fast food place) and all of the workers are Hispanics.
I went to a Taco Bell a couple weeks and was shocked to see 90% of the employees were White.

What happened to the jobs Americans won't do?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,735,806 times
Amazing, another race/ethnicity thread. I just hope one day you will realize that this race card thing works both ways.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration