Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times

Advertisements

So, people who are responsible for X think that the budget for X should be increased and if it isn't, horrible things will happen.

Hmm, where have I heard this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I think speaking of great walls and alligators is silly but I support the idea of absolutely locking down our southern border.

Illegal immegration is not just a problem, but it creates even more problems. The loss of life and human rights abuses by coyotes against Mexican Nationals is tragic as well as shameful. The resentment and tension between the general population of our two countries is not necessary.

South of the Border they struggle with poverty while seeing us living a comparative life of excess and abundance - North of the border we grow increasingly uneasy about our economic future and resent the influx of people here illegally who are preceived as only taking and not contributing to the social programs we finance for our people.

I believe we need to lock down our borders but at the same time remove restrictions on the movement of people back and forth between our two countries. I don't believe Mexican Nationals should be allowed to partake of our social programs without contributing but I believe we should also pave a way for them too contribute legally, not as citizens, but as foreign workers.

I think this would be problematic, but no more so than our current situation.
This is reasonable. I have no problem with a fence. Its the alligator, moat and electric wire that I have a problem with. Great post!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Sometimes the people who share my race just embarass me. These so called Latino Republicans need to get a grip. Its obvious he was being alligorical. Bunch of morons.
He wasn't speaking allegorically when he was asked to rephrase his statement in the interview with NY Times.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
They're nothing but a bunch of racists.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How far should that assumed protection go?...
The government is responsible to do everything reasonable to protect it's citizens.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The government is responsible to do everything reasonable to protect it's citizens.
Great, so what's reasonable, then? I mean, what's the threshold of alligator-related government expenditures that makes a plan "unreasonable?"

Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
No, it's not practical. Its not a real solution to the problem. It's a bandaid. Most illegal immigrants today came in via plane, not by crossing the border.

Wow...on that last comment. You are aware that we Americans have the "one drop rule", right?
Cite, please. 60% of illegals never came with a visa at all and 40% overstayed their visas. That implies to me that most came by crossing our border illegally especially since Mexicans make up the overwhelminging largest number here illegally.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, I do not consider his proposal extreme. We must stop this invasion by ANY means necessary.
Well, I'm so glad our president doesn't agree with you. The whole alligator, moat and electric wire is just ridiculous and for extremists. I'm glad that the majority of Americans don't share your views.

Last edited by zacatecana; 07-14-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Cite, please. 60% of illegals never came with a visa at all and 40% overstayed their visas. That implies to me that most came by crossing our border illegally especially since Mexicans make up the overwhelminging largest number here illegally.
40% is still a very significant number. The issue here is the moats, alligators, electric wires and a wall like China's.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
40% is still a very significant number. The issue here is the moats, alligators, electric wires and a wall like China's.
These however were your own words so you were wrong:

"Most illegal immigrants today came in via plane, not by crossing the border".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration