Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don't personally know any black citizen who supports illegal immigration, including the most liberal. However, some are being influenced by people such as Al Sharpton, who never misses an opportunity to defend his illegal "brown" brothers and sisters, and considers illegal immigration a civil rights issue. Remember, he was one of the most vociferous voices opposing SB 1070, and participated in the protests. He also had a well-publicized sparring session with Joe Arpaio. Of course, Sharpton is too stupid to realize illegals are only his brethren in his delusional, opportunistic mind. Unfortunately, the opinions expressed by far too many black commentators, particularly those on MSNBC and CNN, are very much akin to the CBC/NAACP pro-illegal stance. But, you’re right. They certainly do not speak for most black Americans. I know they don’t speak for me.

I have heard Sharpton defend illegal immigrants. I never take most of what he says seriously though but I do think he also portrays the opposite of what most black people feel about the situation. Unfortunately others who are not black feel that all black people agree with him, which could not be further from the truth. I agree he is stupid on this issue. I find myself arguing with him while I'm in the car if he is on the radio talking about amnesty and other issues LOL! If I ever meet him I would probably get into an argument with him about this!

I live in Atlanta and we have a serious problem in the metro area with illegal immigration. The law passed recently here in GA concerning tougher enforcement of immigration laws was widely supported by black people. One of the points of the new bill was to make all contractors who work on local, state, or federal projects here in GA to use e-verify to verify citizenship of new employees. Many black men in particular I know were happy to see this included even though most of the black people I know here do not have a favorable view of the republican controlled state assembly, but they feel that the legislators did the right thing with this bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 05:36 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
When Blacks moved north to get jobs in the factories and steel mills, it was when immigration was at low levels. If there was the usual number of immigrants, they would never of gotten those jobs. A Phillip Randolph was always saying that they(blacks) are already here and speak the language. That is what todays black leaders should be saying.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have heard Sharpton defend illegal immigrants. I never take most of what he says seriously though but I do think he also portrays the opposite of what most black people feel about the situation. Unfortunately others who are not black feel that all black people agree with him, which could not be further from the truth. I agree he is stupid on this issue. I find myself arguing with him while I'm in the car if he is on the radio talking about amnesty and other issues LOL! If I ever meet him I would probably get into an argument with him about this!

I live in Atlanta and we have a serious problem in the metro area with illegal immigration. The law passed recently here in GA concerning tougher enforcement of immigration laws was widely supported by black people. One of the points of the new bill was to make all contractors who work on local, state, or federal projects here in GA to use e-verify to verify citizenship of new employees. Many black men in particular I know were happy to see this included even though most of the black people I know here do not have a favorable view of the republican controlled state assembly, but they feel that the legislators did the right thing with this bill.
You are SO right. You know what is funny though? President Obama. He is the Moderator cut: comment deleted, yet, he is buddies with illegal immigrants. Some leadership, huh? I never thought the President should just do things in favor of black people, that'd be wrong, but he is the head-one in charge. He's Black (or whatever) and he's not even showing that he understands the correlations. So, we know someone like Sharpton will take the path he has.

I wish more black people could get together and have a national audience to relay the message that we aren't stupid on these issues and that we are not going to be bamboozled. What a revolution that would be. Not a revolution to cause trouble, but to wake people up to TRUE justice and equal representation.

I know about what is going on in Atlanta. People have stayed hush-hush on it though. Atlanta is considered THE Black Mecca, as Harlam used to be, but things have changed. A lot of construction and food service jobs are going to non-Black Hispanc immigrants (legal or not) down there and black people are moving out. Atlanta has had so much growth over the years and so much blood, sweat and tears went into making it what it is over the years. Much of that was at the hands of the working Black population, it is sad if they just handed that over to illegal immigrants by moving out. Where are the so-called ATL rappers who call that place home? How about protecting the people by opposing illegal immigration and the taking of your "home."

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2011 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 11:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Atlanta is considered THE Black Mecca, as Harlam used to be, but things have changed. A lot of construction and food service jobs are going to non-Black Hispanc immigrants (legal or not) down there and black people are moving out. Atlanta has had so much growth over the years and so much blood, sweat and tears went into making it what it is over the years. Much of that was at the hands of the working Black population, it is sad if they just handed that over to illegal immigrants by moving out. Where are the so-called ATL rappers who call that place home? How about protecting the people by opposing illegal immigration and the taking of your "home."
I think that's due to gentrification, and not so much illegal immigrants moving in.

There is a Hispanic community in the Atlanta area, but it's mainly in Gwinnett County.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Barbara Jordan would have made an excellent US President - she was a woman who was ahead of her time.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM

126 posts, read 118,570 times
I believe you are mischaracterizing Jordan's positions. She spoke not as a black person but as Chairman of the Committee for Immigration Reform. In fact the quote was actually Jordan quoting the Executive Summary of the Committee Report.

She had some interesting testimony at that time. Too bad no one listened...

Testimony of Barbara Jordan, February 24, 1995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration