Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you can Immigrant because you live in America?
I am foreign born and thus a true immigrant 4 8.70%
Everyone who lives in America is an immigrant based on our history 8 17.39%
I am an American and my family has been here for generations 34 73.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times

Advertisements

I always hear that America is a "Nation of immigrants" and as a result we should be open to all people from other countries legal and illegal. We are told by our leaders that we are all Immigrants. I disagree.

I do not consider myself an immigrant. My family has been in America for over 150years-- going back 7 generations. I feel like I am an American, not an immigrant. Really if you want to use the logic of the "everyone is an immigrant crowd", then most people living all over the world is an Immigrant. People in the past were always moving around.

Do you consider yourself an immigrant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Don't know how that works. Partially, partially native. I'm a 5th generation Irish with a little German. I'm also a 5th generation Native American.

So I guess my left side is immigrant, my right side is native.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
I don't consider myself an immigrant either. I can trace my family back 12 generations here in this country. Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,264 times
I do consider myself an immigrant having been born and raised in Canada for the first 28 years of my life. My wife and I went through all the legal channels to gain our green cards and then become citizens. I love my native country, but I love America more. I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants who come here knowingly breaking the laws and taking advantage of the American way of life.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
America IS a nation of immigrants---and does not HAVE a culture of its own. It's also a nation of slave owners (and slaves), of Indian-killers, of log-cabin dwellers, and stage-coach travelers. It's also a nation torn in half by civil war. And a nation of businessmen who raped the land and cut down every tree from Michigan to the Puget Sound. So quit complaining about it---you all share enough guilt to go around!! And America has also CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
3 of my 4 grandparents came to the US from Quebec when they were children and became citizens (not sure the exact process or ages). Both grandfathers served the US proudly in WWII.

I consider myself an American, and so did they. You can be a proud American and still embrace your heritage though, and that is what we "Sporins" have done for 3 generations now.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
So quit complaining about it---you all share enough guilt to go around!! And America has also CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!
I don't carry guilt for things I didn't do, so whatever happened prior to December of 1975, I do not take any credit, nor guilt for.

BTW, our borders are WIDE open.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,050 times
CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!. I dont remember hearing the word CLOSED if you are legal. If done legally this country hangs out the welcome sign. Iam sick of hearing about those poor people in Mexico. Mexico has one of the biggest economies in the world and is ranked in the top 10 in riches. It is th corruption in that country that drives people over the border not the lack or resources

Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
America IS a nation of immigrants---and does not HAVE a culture of its own. It's also a nation of slave owners (and slaves), of Indian-killers, of log-cabin dwellers, and stage-coach travelers. It's also a nation torn in half by civil war. And a nation of businessmen who raped the land and cut down every tree from Michigan to the Puget Sound. So quit complaining about it---you all share enough guilt to go around!! And America has also CLOSED its borders to all poor newcomers, so SHAME ON US!!!
I don't think that most Americans have a problem with newcomers, they just want them to come over here legally and learn the language. My grandparents did it, they didn't sneak over here, the were proud to learn english. America didn't have to change all the labels on goods to read in English and Italian.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
3 of my 4 grandparents came to the US from Quebec when they were children and became citizens (not sure the exact process or ages). Both grandfathers served the US proudly in WWII.

I consider myself an American, and so did they. You can be a proud American and still embrace your heritage though, and that is what we "Sporins" have done for 3 generations now.
From your location, it sounds like the Sporins didn't make it very far out of Quebec. Thank goodness they didn't come during the Bush administration, or he would have described them as "folks willin' to tap the maples that the Vermonters themselves aren't willin' to tap".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration