Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 02:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO — The Bush administration can go ahead with a pilot program to allow as many as 100 Mexican trucking companies to freely haul their cargo anywhere within the U.S. for the next year, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied a request made by the Teamsters union, the Sierra Club and the nonprofit Public Citizen to halt the program.

The appeals court ruled the groups have not satisfied the legal requirements to immediately stop what the government is calling a "demonstration project," but can continue to argue their case.

The trucking program is scheduled to begin Thursday.

In court papers filed this week, the Teamsters and Sierra Club argued there won't be enough oversight of the drivers coming into the U.S. from Mexico.

They also argued that public safety would be endangered in a hasty attempt by the government to comply with parts of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

The trade agreement requires that all roads in the United States, Mexico and Canada to be opened to carriers from all three countries.

FOXNews.com - Court Rejects Challenge to Opening U.S. Roads to Mexican Trucks Under Bush Program - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Sure going to be easy to get them illegals and drugs over the border now !!!!! We can think papa Bush and Clinton for this one.....

Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

149 posts, read 548,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Sure going to be easy to get them illegals and drugs over the border now !!!!! We can think papa Bush and Clinton for this one.....
Please explain how this situation will lessen the effectiveness of I.C.E. I'm not defending them but I don't see how this bill will make them any worse at performing their job. The same shipments will be crossing the border regardless of who is driving the rig and who owns the trucking company.

Or do you just like to see your words on the screen?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Simple as this. Team drivers over, single driver back. They cannot possibly keep track of the numbers both ways.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,780 times
The point is, if the government didn't want the illegals here, they wouldn't be here. It is about money. They are willing to sacrifice the United States of America for their greed. And people voted these guys in?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Simple as this. Team drivers over, single driver back. They cannot possibly keep track of the numbers both ways.
WOW! I had no idea that our Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers were so stupid. If what you say is correct, I'm surprised they can find their way to work everyday.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:49 PM

Not that they are stupid. Too much paperwork. Let's take one border check point. Reynosa Mexico going into McAllen Texas. Before this got started, they processed approximately 500 trucks per shift. 6 guys doing the processing. Now, let's let this fiasco get started. 100 trucking companies with who knows how many trucks. Same border checkpoint is going to see a couple thousand trucks per shift. Is the truck going to come back during that shift? Probably not. Even if they did, going into Mexico there is no checkpoint until you hit the Mexican side. So there's no checksum of returning trucks. The US doesn't share it's records with the border check point across the river.

Going into Mexico, you stop at the Mexico check point. Coming out of Mexico, you stop at the US check point. They're 3 miles apart. Like I said, how are they going to keep records?

Now, if a truck was checked coming into the US and also checked going out of the US, then it would be different. But they're not.

You obviously haven't crossed a border before. Or, you did it by Plane.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Not that they are stupid. Too much paperwork. Let's take one border check point. Reynosa Mexico going into McAllen Texas. Before this got started, they processed approximately 500 trucks per shift. 6 guys doing the processing. Now, let's let this fiasco get started. 100 trucking companies with who knows how many trucks. Same border checkpoint is going to see a couple thousand trucks per shift. Is the truck going to come back during that shift? Probably not. Even if they did, going into Mexico there is no checkpoint until you hit the Mexican side. So there's no checksum of returning trucks. The US doesn't share it's records with the border check point across the river.

Going into Mexico, you stop at the Mexico check point. Coming out of Mexico, you stop at the US check point. They're 3 miles apart. Like I said, how are they going to keep records?

Now, if a truck was checked coming into the US and also checked going out of the US, then it would be different. But they're not.

You obviously haven't crossed a border before. Or, you did it by Plane.
Where is all this new cross-border trade coming from? Four times as much cargo as now?

And even if these imaginary 2nd drivers turn out to exist why wouldn't they return to Mexico and their job as truck drivers?

And as for me crossing borders - I used to live in Imperial Beach, CA and in Corpus Cristi, TX - I've crossed our southern border many times at many points. I've crossed the northern border on a couple of occasions as well. So, in this case, it is you that OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he is talking about.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default corupt

Just another corupt judge favoring Mexico.

Even baorder patrol tried to do their job, does anyone remember what happended to the last 2 border patrol agents that tried to catch a 3 time illegal alien transporting drugs, one that was given immunity and then got caught bringing even more drugs in?

The problem starts are the top and trickles down. NO ONE in the US will soon be able to say anything about illegals, every recent attempt to enforce our immigration laws have been rejected.

We have a "try what you can because we will just let you try again" border control system. Load up those trucks with illegals....

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
Where is all this new cross-border trade coming from? Four times as much cargo as now?

And even if these imaginary 2nd drivers turn out to exist why wouldn't they return to Mexico and their job as truck drivers?

And as for me crossing borders - I used to live in Imperial Beach, CA and in Corpus Cristi, TX - I've crossed our southern border many times at many points. I've crossed the northern border on a couple of occasions as well. So, in this case, it is you that OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he is talking about.
Then I would assume that you knew that when you cross over, you don't stop on the US side. Only the Mexico side. When you come from mexico to the US, you only stop at the US side. So tell me how anybody would keep track of 2 drivers in and 1 driver out.

Why would he give up his great truck driving job? Because he's making about $6,000 a year doing the wonderful job that he has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration