Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times

Advertisements

Let's face it - Taxpayers are screwed and will continue to pay for all of this, because our own gov't is sitting back doing squat! It's only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I'm all for that, but HOW? Our very own government has sold us out. How do we stop illegal immigration when our own government enables it? The US government outright refuses to enforce our border with Mexico knowing full well 5 to 10 thousand illegals cross over every single day.

Both the democrats and republicans need more and more Hispanic votes just to maintain the current number of congressional seats that they have. Not to pickup new seats, but they need more and more Hispanic votes in every single election just to keep the ones they currently have. The sad fact is roughly a third of our nation, (mostly liberals), outright wants open borders with Mexico. Another third want some sort of control reestablished, but are willing to grant a path to citizenship for those who are already here. And lastly, even many hard core conservatives want illegals here because they provide a cheap labor source that helps bolster GDP.

So realistically, we are looking at trying to stop illegal immigration to the United States when only about fifteen to twenty percent of the population want to stop it. The only reason we were able to stop Bush's Blanket Amnesty Proposal was the fact that congress is so evenly divided that a few votes here and there can actually stop almost any legislation from being passed. But to muster the political support to outright seal our border and start mass deportations will never happen in our political climate.
I understand but more people need to do what they can like:
stop paying illegals for services
stop paying an american run company that uses illegals (landscaping, construction, walmart ect. This is a big one and I know its hard but I do it as much as I can and I have also told companys that I dont use them because I know they employ illegals or refust to provide proof)
Stop being scared to speak out about the issue
Vote against anyone what supports illegals in any way
Have protests just like they do
Make other people aware of how places like LA have turned out.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I understand but more people need to do what they can like:
stop paying illegals for services
stop paying an american run company that uses illegals (landscaping, construction, walmart ect. This is a big one and I know its hard but I do it as much as I can and I have also told companys that I dont use them because I know they employ illegals or refust to provide proof)
Stop being scared to speak out about the issue
Vote against anyone what supports illegals in any way
Have protests just like they do
Make other people aware of how places like LA have turned out.

When did people stop mowing their own lawn? There was a time when if you didn't feel like doing it, you paid some kid down the street to do it. When did we start paying the illegal adult? It's not just in CA or AZ, it's all over. I had never even heard of it before until I moved to AZ years ago. Thoughts anyone?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
My only issue with anyone--black, white, red, yellow or polka dot, is if they're in this country illegally. Then I'm aggravated that their kids are overtaxing and overburdening the school systems.
I agree, but I don't know what we can do about that specifically. I worry about anyone introducing a law to restrict education because I don't want the children to pay for their parents mistakes. The parents obviously didn't care about what they were doing to their children when they brought them here forcing them to be illegal. I'm afraid if we ban them from schools the parents won't go back to their home countries, they will just allow their children to go without an education. There are several cities in Arizona where illegal aliens outnumber citizens 2 to 1. Those school districts are full of illegal children and children born here with illegal parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomesomeday
I know others have differing opinions, but illegal immigration is one of my hot buttons. I have NO problem with anyone coming here to live from somewhere else--after all it's a great country, why wouldn't someone want to live here? But please, DO IT LEGALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally agree with you there. They need to follow the process. If the process was followed we would be managing the numbers and not be in the position we are in today.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Why does the gov't keep saying we cant deport illegals, because there are too many for us to control?

When obviously the white mexican elites have total control of even more of these poor masses, and can just have their way with them whenever they want.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
The only way and I mean the ONLY WAY you would ever have a chance to get illegal immigrant children out of the schools is a boycott.

Every school gets money for every day a child attends school. If all the parents of legal children kept their children out of the schools for say two weeks or a month, and made sure the school knew why, it would make national news and other the parents of other schools may follow suit. The schools will not want to lose that money.

Protest in front of the school that they are stealing the quality of your child’s education that you are paying for with your tax dollars.

Last edited by citigirl; 09-23-2007 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The only way and I mean the ONLY WAY you would ever have a chance to get illegal immigrant children out of the schools is a boycott.

Every school gets money for every day a child attends school. If all the parents of legal children kept their children out of the schools for say two weeks or a month, and made sure the school knew why, it would make national news and other the parents of other schools may follow suit. The schools will not want to lose that money.

Protest in front of the school that they are stealing the quality of your child’s education that you are paying for with your tax dollars.
Sorry Citigirl, I can't get behind you on that one. Like I said, I don't want to do anything to hurt only the children. I'm not convinced it would make a difference in our illegal alien numbers.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Sorry Citigirl, I can't get behind you on that one. Like I said, I don't want to do anything to hurt only the children. I'm not convinced it would make a difference in our illegal alien numbers.
There was an assembly at my granddaughter’s high school shortly before graduation, McKinley High School, Sacramento 2006. They brought in an activist Mexican speaker that ranted, raved and spewed anti-American venom. He threw the American flag on the stage and stepped on it. My granddaughter said most of the kids and teachers were clapping and cheering him on. Finally one teacher went over and picked the American flag up. My granddaughter likened the speaker to “the white supremacist, you know those Nazi guys” and was very frightened. She graduated sad, having lost all respect for her school and her teachers.

Unfortunately we had never discussed the illegal immigration problem with her so she was not prepared at all to be confronted with this venom and teachers that promote it.

So while you may not think a boycott of schools would be a good idea, I ask, what kind of education and propaganda will your child get? It may make a differance in your childs education.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
There was an assembly at my granddaughter’s high school shortly before graduation, McKinley High School, Sacramento 2006. They brought in an activist Mexican speaker that ranted, raved and spewed anti-American venom. He threw the American flag on the stage and stepped on it. My granddaughter said most of the kids and teachers were clapping and cheering him on. Finally one teacher went over and picked the American flag up. My granddaughter likened the speaker to “the white supremacist, you know those Nazi guys” and was very frightened. She graduated sad, having lost all respect for her school and her teachers.

Unfortunately we had never discussed the illegal immigration problem with her so she was not prepared at all to be confronted with this venom and teachers that promote it.

So while you may not think a boycott of schools would be a good idea, I ask, what kind of education and propaganda will your child get? It may make a differance in your childs education.
What a terrible thing for your granddaughter to go through, and during such an important time of her life. I am so sorry! Shame on that school for inviting such a speaker. Thank you for sharing that with me. However, I am very active with my child's school and I have never had any reason to believe such a thing would occur in her school district. Although I am sure you and your family didn't expect it either, so I will definitely keep my eyes wide open.

In my daughter's district attendance is strictly monitored and enforced by threatening fines and possibly even jail time (for a parent) for what they consider excessive absences. For her, she could lose the ability to obtain a drivers license until she is 19. They do this because if they didn't, some of the children's parents would not feel obligated to send their children to school on a regular basis. I don't know if this is the attitude elsewhere but it is my biggest reason for not supporting anything to restrict an education as a way to decrease illegal alien population. I believe many children would just not get an education because the parents would not return to their own countries so they could. My other concern is more directly personal because if I did boycott the school as you suggested, I would be hurting my own daughter's future.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 PM

We would have never expected anything like a racist anti-American speaker being invited to speak at this school and by my granddaughter's reaction of total shock, she did not expect anything like this either. It would be wise for parents to ask to be informed about any assemblies, guest speakers and what will be addressed. It is an even better idea to have a few parents present.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration