Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times

Advertisements

People on this board seem to enjoy talking trash about those terrible illegal aliens but I wonder how many of you actually know one personally. I am not talking about someone you see walking down the street looking for day labor, who you assume is illegal, but someone you know personally. You have to know for sure they are illegal.

Tell us about the illegal aliens you know personally. What are their stories and what are they like? Do you feel differently about the topic of illegal immigration because you know an illegal alien personally?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
I know lots of legal ones, and they get riled up when they think about how illegals can just walk over the border - no papers, no waiting, no interviews, no cost!

I don't know any "open" illegals, but who knows?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 AM

272 posts, read 784,461 times
As a matter of fact......I do....quite a few. Most are Mexicans....several are Chinese and one is Russian....
Of the Mexicans....one was running from the law in Mexico....which may or may not be a just thing. He....[my friend] is a nice guy and a good father....and works hard...so I tend to think that he was getting...or going to get shafted in Mexico...so here I can't blame him....However....I sure wished he'd legitimize his status here in the U.S.....No amount of justification can change the fact that he broke the law....I love my friend...I just wish he'd get his act together and become a full fledged U.S. citizen...It would be better for all those involved....Yea...the process is long...and tedious....but it is STILL the right thing to do....
Another [also from Mexico...] friend...is back in Mexico now....because he got caught by INS/ICE....And I'm mad at him for not protecting himself by legalizing his status here...Now of course...he's screwed....and his life and family are in an even BIGGER MESS....if only he had done the right thing.....[and there are so sooo many ways to use the system in the U.S....to get legal status...particularly in the more liberal states...] But NOPE....he was having too much fun...buying cars...buying boats...and going fishing.....well....he got busted...and sent home....Now his wife and kids are here...and he's in Mexico....A totally stupid state of affairs....A shame....because he was a first rate welder......
As for the Russian...and the Chinese....They knew that the U.S. / Mexican border is essentially non-existent....and they were desperate to get into the U.S. so they flew to Mexico...and came across that way....The Russian [a woman] claimed to be a certain type of person...and so got legal status without too much trouble....lots of groups to help her out...legal fees....housing....starting cash etc....The guys from China....much the same story....lots of powerful groups to help them out....
So...yup....I DO know lots of these people....and so far....most have been very nice folks...[I don't hang with gang-bangers...so to speak..]....BUT...they all made the same STUPID MISTAKE.....by coming into the country illegally.....Again...doing it right takes effort...but in the long run it is worth it....

Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
How could you not know one personally? I mean there are millions and often several hundred are on your street.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Hey Lakewooder, that's funny

So true..

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I do know 3 East Indians, 2 Chinese, 1 British Guy (who was living in West Palm Beach, FL illegally for 7 years until he just got married to an American). A whole family of Brazilians, Honduras, Cubans...

Mexican wise, I know many, however most will not admit it as they are scared for their jobs. The Indians, Chinese and Brit will come right out and admit they are illegal and have been working tech jobs making close 100k a year. They laugh at the system.

I guess I do feel differently about the illegal Mexicans I have met, because I have seen where they live, I see how hard they work and how much they care for their families.

I also have seen the way they are talked down to by Americans, racially criticized straight faced as they are making the customers a sandwich at the deli, the customer didn't know I was right there and could speak english and spanish, believe me what this guy said was unnecessary and highly racist. Unfortunately, I hear it all the time...

There are definitely some bad illegals too, in L.A. I see a lot of ghetto Mexicans, but believe it or not many of these Mexicans are LEGAL.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
I personally know one and have worked with others, all from SOB. The ones I worked with were good workers just like myself. The one I know sort of personal sleeps all day works at night. Just yesterday I met a guy on the maternity ward, he is a painter, coincidence so was I for 10 years. Eventually he tells me he hired a Jose and 2 amigos. They work hard and cheap. That burns my @ss. I didn't say anything since his wife was in surgery.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
The few I have known casually, more as distant neighbors than friends, have all been "Mega-Takers"!

Two that immediately come to mind had unregistered (or illegally registered) as well as uninsured vehicles. When I suggested doing it the "legal" way would be simpler and easier, not to mention cheaper, they replied the vehicles had "title problems"! I quickly learned that meant they were stolen.

Absolutely SHAMELESS with little or no respect for our laws because they knew they had a simple "way out" . . . The Border!

Thankfully, due to the recent Anti-Hiring Law passed by the Arizona Voters . . . both have conveniently disappeared.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Yep, I've known and worked with hundreds of illegals over the last twenty years. I speak semi-fluent Spanish, so I've been able to communicate with them as well. This has enabled me to spot the BS coming from the open borders crowd. In my experience, it is the American pro-illegal who has never met an illegal alien. Otherwise, he'd know that illegals were not "starving" in their home countries.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
I've known many that I've met on a day to day basis. But my niece married a Mexican guy who's mother and both grandparents are here illegally. I met them at the wedding and they now live in Dallas. I now have one grandnephew and two grandnieces that are half Mexican and half Anglo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration