Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I believe we have that already, GHOST

"Fast" is definitely a relative term and the actual time required depends on the volume of applicants.

when i say fast i mean a week or two, max.

Quote:
As for free . . . why should the taxpayers foot the bill? I strongly believe anyone using a service (any Government Service including a National Park or immigration and passport applications) should be ready and willing to pay for that service.
we foot the bill for illegal immigrants, right? this would just be a reallocation of funds, with greater potential for taxpayers than illegals with fake documentation.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post

when i say fast i mean a week or two, max.

we foot the bill for illegal immigrants, right? this would just be a reallocation of funds, with greater potential for taxpayers than illegals with fake documentation.
I hope you're joking with the comment "a week or two" . . . no Government Agency works that expeditiously, especially considering the huge numbers involved. Besides, thorough background checks, especially for people from so many countries, are both complicated and time consuming.

As for "footing the bill" . . . there is absolutely no reason why we should?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:58 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I hope you're joking with the comment "a week or two" . . . no Government Agency works that expeditiously, especially considering the huge numbers involved. Besides, thorough background checks, especially for people from so many countries, are both complicated and time consuming.

i didnt know that. can you show me a webpage that verifies all that?

Quote:
As for "footing the bill" . . . there is absolutely no reason why we should?
maybe we SHOULDNT, but we are. do you want to make it a worthy investment or not?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:

maybe we SHOULDNT, but we are. do you want to make it a worthy investment or not?
Not a good argument. Besides, what's your basis for a "worthy investment"?

If someone is "worthy" then they would not have any problems "footing" the expenses involved. We have more than enough freeloaders as it is.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:17 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
so you advocate immigration quotas?
And why not? Does this country not have a choice as to who, how many and what kind of people we allow to be citizens? Have you noticed what's happened to countries in Europe like France and Holland because of their lax immigration policies? I think we need to avoid that at all costs.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
The more that flood in the more our standard of living goes down. When businesses have to compete for workers the wages stay competitive. When a flood of workers come in and accept low wages then everyone suffers.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 AM

191 posts, read 712,440 times
[quote=GH0ST..;2035555]i didnt know that. can you show me a webpage that verifies all that?

Not a specific webpage, of course. But let's note that at this time it takes the US government about two and a half months to issue a passport to a legal American citizen.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Getting back to the OP's core issue about open borders and unrestricted flow of folks (with background checks and medical verification), I found an article by a UC Davis Dean of Academic Affairs and Professor of Public Interest Law which significantly supports Ghost's sentiments.

I expect many posters to find the article to hold an opinion very different from that generally expressed on this board. Before summarily dismissing the article, understand that the professor, Kevin R Johnson, has a pretty significant academic and research background. This is a brief extract from his bio:

"Kevin R. Johnson is Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Mabie-Apallas Professor of Public Interest Law and Chicana/o Studies at the University of California at Davis. He has published extensively on immigration law and policy, racial identity, and civil rights in national and international journals.

A magna *** laude graduate of Harvard Law School, where he served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review, Johnson earned his undergraduate degree in economics from UC Berkeley. After law school, he clerked for the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Los Angeles and worked as an attorney at the international law firm Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe in San Francisco. Professor Johnson has served on the Legal Services of Northern California board of directors since 1996, was Vice President of the board, and is the current President of the board."

The article basically supports open legal immigration policies with very limited restrictions, and below is a brief extract from the article, giving you an idea of the basic article content:

"After years of consideration, the U.S. government took the cautious step of recognizing dual nationality, which quickly grew in popularity among Mexican nationals living the United States. However, the U.S. immigration laws have failed more generally to respond to the globalizing economy.

Open borders are consistent with the integrating world economy. I have outlined arguments for a far-reaching change in the U.S. immigration laws that would respond to the rapidly changing world in which we live. Open borders would mark a true revolution in current U.S. immigration law and would create an admissions system in which migration more closely approximated demand.

The elimination of exaggerated border controls would offer many benefits to the United States. As part of a globalizing economy, the nation stands to reap economic benefits from freer labor migration. As a matter of economic theory, international trade with Mexico and much of the world, which the United States has eagerly embraced, differs little from labor migration. A utilitarian approach would allow for labor migration and add the benefits of new labor to the national economy."

Opinion - Open borders, integrated economy - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/498477.html - broken link)

While not advocating the professor's sentiments, I thought it was significant and current enough to place into consideration for the purposes of this thread.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
I think some of the younger people here do not seem to understand what freedom costs. They do not understand what citizenship is all about. We EARN citizenship.

People - PLEASE learn American history, and try to appreciate what our fathers and grandfathers fought for. Citizenship should not be cheap!! No one gets it free and fast!

We, the American People, insist on having people who come here be those who can contribute to society, those who increase the quality of life for everyone, those who go through rigorous testing to come here.

The illegals are opportunists - they're coming for jobs and taking them away from our lower-income citizens, and they are reaping HUGE benefits paid by you and me, the taxpayers.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Thank you, cousinsal . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED!

I perceive the illegals as nothing more than common criminals and should be dealt with accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration