Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Stuffed in the bottom of a sock, or between the folds of clean clothes, or in the back of a drawer: There are dozens of places undocumented immigrants find to stash their savings. Surprisingly few of them, however, involve a bank.

There is no regulation that requires proof of legal status to open a bank account in the United States, and an increasing number of small banks are pursuing immigrant and Hispanic customers. Yet finance professionals and immigrant advocates say millions of undocumented men and women still opt to keep their cash on hand, or else wire it home a little at a time, paying for each transaction as they go.

Undocumented immigrants afraid of using U.S. banks -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Stuffed in the bottom of a sock, or between the folds of clean clothes, or in the back of a drawer: There are dozens of places undocumented immigrants find to stash their savings. Surprisingly few of them, however, involve a bank.
Whenever an illegal alien is deported his house should be searched to seize any monies or other valuables there. It's reasonable to believe if the illegal immigrant is here illegally, holding a job and earning money illegally, then it's a natural extension that the money is dirty and should be seized.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Whenever an illegal alien is deported his house should be searched to seize any monies or other valuables there. It's reasonable to believe if the illegal immigrant is here illegally, holding a job and earning money illegally, then it's a natural extension that the money is dirty and should be seized.
Wonderful post Hawkeye and I agree with you 100%. They sieze american citizens property for tax debt, they lock bank accounts for the same. If they are here illegally then by default they have not paid their share in taxes. They are in fact guilty of fraud and tax evasion....

Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Why don't they just use the Banco de America? They accept matricular consular cards as I.D. and give credit cards to illegal aliens. There is a list of American banks--about 30 different large chain bank systems that I'm aware of, such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo that will give bank accounts to illegals, so I'm not buying this crap. I think it's more "oh feel sorry for the poor 'undocumented worker' garbage" designed to tug at the heart strings of bleeding heart Americans.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Sounds like a winner to me, Hawkeye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Why don't they just use the Banco de America? They accept matricular consular cards as I.D. and give credit cards to illegal aliens. There is a list of American banks--about 30 different large chain bank systems that I'm aware of, such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo that will give bank accounts to illegals, so I'm not buying this crap. I think it's more "oh feel sorry for the poor 'undocumented worker' garbage" designed to tug at the heart strings of bleeding heart Americans.
I was thinking the same thing, Kele

The Bank of America Branch near my home has more signage in Spanish than English.

Sometimes I feel a little uncomfortable speaking English there.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
The problem looks like it may transcend illegal aliens, apparently many legal immigrants aren't comfortable with the banking process:

"Studies indicate that as many as 10 million households in the United States are unbanked, and many of these are immigrants from Latin America. Although Latino immigrants are not a homogeneous group, a great proportion of them do not have a bank account – between 40 and 60 percent, depending on their country of
origin, according to a study by the Pew Hispanic Center. Many have never had an account and generally lack familiarity with the banking system, while many others have had a negative experience with banks in their home country. For this reason, distrust of the system or a sense that it is “not for them” is a significant barrier to access."

http://www.texasappleseed.net/pdf/re...nkKit_2006.pdf

Old 11-19-2007, 08:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
exactly. im a citizen, and im weary about using banks. i keep a small amount in a checking account in a local credit union, just in case i have to use a debit card. the rest i keep in my house or on my person.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
exactly. im a citizen, and im weary about using banks. i keep a small amount in a checking account in a local credit union, just in case i have to use a debit card. the rest i keep in my house or on my person.
Good idea to keep it close at hand. Make sure you never leave your money out on the sidewalk---It would probably be quickly "scooped up" by someone who "really needed it"--who was probably a nice person, but thought they deserved it more than you did. They might even tell you they had a "right" to your money---and your house, too. Perhaps one of their ancestors may have owned the land your house now stands on, and they sold that land cheaply.

Watch out.....you can never tell who's right and wrong these days...

Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good idea to keep it close at hand. Make sure you never leave your money out on the sidewalk---It would probably be quickly "scooped up" by someone who "really needed it"--who was probably a nice person, but thought they deserved it more than you did. They might even tell you they had a "right" to your money---and your house, too. Perhaps one of their ancestors may have owned the land your house now stands on, and they sold that land cheaply.

Watch out.....you can never tell who's right and wrong these days...
i pay taxes towards social services. they do have that right to my money.

but youre way off-topic. keep your jabs in the appropriate threads, ace.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
Interesting way of thinking, GHOST . . . extremely risky but interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration